Claudio Gavillucci

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Claudio Gavillucci

Post by Port on the Kent »

Who the hell is that? You may ask.

That is the name of the referee who took charge at Haig Avenue this afternoon. A rather unusual name to be refereeing in English non-league football.

Not many of the watching crowd will have known it, but today saw a sprinkling of European talent on the hallowed turf. As recently as three years ago, Mr Gavillucci was refereeing in Serie A, he spent five seasons in the Italian top flight, taking charge of the likes of Inter, AC Milan and Juventus.

Then in 2018, he was sacked by the Italian authorities for halting a match between Sampdoria and Napoli, due to vile taunts, many of which were racial, came from the stands. The Italian body put his sacking down to 'technical performances.'

There is a fascinating interview with him here: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... a-22800040

I hope he enjoyed his appearance at Haig Avenue, I will let him decide whether the atmosphere rivalled that of a Roma/Lazio derby.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Re: Claudio Gavillucci

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Circumstances aside, that is a brilliant read. And fair play to him. How did he referee yesterday?
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I thought he was excellent - didn't put a foot wrong.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
The Commander
----------
----------

Post by The Commander »

Definitely a step ahead of the refs we are used to. He had the Boston player booked for simulation while I was still expecting a penalty to be given. Wouldn't be surprised to see him higher up the league's very soon.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

Claudio was a class above our usual Ref. Now I know a little history; it is easy to see why. Difficult job, I certainly wouldn't do it and hats off to those who do imo.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:52 pm Who the hell is that? You may ask.

That is the name of the referee who took charge at Haig Avenue this afternoon. A rather unusual name to be refereeing in English non-league football.
Anyone else remember Busi Bellow?
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

He certainly let the game "flow" especially in the first half when I actually thought he missed a couple of pushes on our players.Any Referee who books a player for "diving" in looking for an illegitimate penalty will always get my backing though-and I include our players in that too. Fair play to him-as others have said I thought he was blowing for a penalty, but I didn't have a great view of it whereas he did.
Overall you didn't notice him much-which is always the sign of a good referee.
Great article that and great research.
As others have said,he'll probably be in the Premier League before too long.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Thanks for sharing!
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

He’s a lovely bloke too…just exchanged a couple of messages with him today on Instagram! Bit eager I know, but I think it’s a pretty incredible story.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
OLD GOLD
----------
----------

Post by OLD GOLD »

Don't write to him too soon ! lets' hope he doesn't report the net malfunction !! The goalkeeper standing on an old chair to hook up the nets ,couldn't happen anywhere else could it ? Serie A ?... lol
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

Liam said he wasn’t so good in his interview.
pault
----------
----------

Post by pault »

Ste_B wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:30 pm
Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:52 pm Who the hell is that? You may ask.

Anyone else remember Busi Bellow?
It's spelt Bisi Bello...once seen, never forgotten.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

OLD GOLD wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:19 pm Don't write to him too soon ! lets' hope he doesn't report the net malfunction !! The goalkeeper standing on an old chair to hook up the nets ,couldn't happen anywhere else could it ? Serie A ?... lol
At least he didn't need to use a towel.

https://twitter.com/Sporf/status/1378388960548896770
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

Personally I thought he was the best referee I have seen at our ground in a long while.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Biso Bello (or whatever) was truly dreadful. We seemed to have him time after time.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

You only have to watch bits of Azeem Rafiq's testimony yesterday to see how much racist abuse can hurt a person, that someone who tried to protect players from that should be shunned is shameful.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Fair play to him for doing the right thing and not letting it stop him doing what he clearly loves to do.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Sam wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:55 am Fair play to him for doing the right thing and not letting it stop him doing what he clearly loves to do.
Very well said. I hope he enjoys doing it here because some of the refs are darn useless and having someone of his quality can only be good learning experience for the other officials at the games he is in charge of.