Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Paulisi
----------
----------

Lanc Trophy v Daisy Hill

Post by Paulisi »

Not got too much choice, but to put out a very strong team

Tony Mac will start
C Doyle an Jack B are unavailable. I'm sure Liam said that George Newell was at St George's Park and no idea if Russ is fit yet

Otherwise similar team to Saturday with the three subs likely to start.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Re: Lanc Trophy v Daisy Hill

Post by yellowfever »

Apologies for my non show tonight after "bigging up" the game the other day....Circumstances...
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

No Edwards, but Bainbridge starts.
I thought Lanc Cup counted for suspension.

Only 3 fit players on the bench.

Losing 1-0 and we have a strong team out....
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

Paulisi wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:41 pm No Edwards, but Bainbridge starts.
I thought Lanc Cup counted for suspension.

Only 3 fit players on the bench.

Losing 1-0 and we have a strong team out....

yes, also thought that JB would serve his third match tonight - apparently not.
haigavel
----------
----------

Post by haigavel »

Tough for Daisy Hill De Nialled in the last several minutes
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

Fitness levels and a little bit of class showed eventually 😥, credit to Daisy Hill who defended well throughout and looked occasionally dangerous. Nice to come from behind to win and keep our momentum going . In the last minute a very hard late tackle onJosh looked serious, but he fortunately got up and is hopefully ok- it was an immediate red card for the culprit .
Onward to Leamington 👍
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

TrickyDicky wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:17 pm Fitness levels and a little bit of class showed eventually 😥, credit to Daisy Hill who defended well throughout and looked occasionally dangerous. Nice to come from behind to win and keep our momentum going . In the last minute a very hard late tackle onJosh looked serious, but he fortunately got up and is hopefully ok- it was an immediate red card for the culprit .
Onward to Leamington 👍
Yep we never really got into top gear and daisy hill played like it was their cup final. They didn’t discredit themselves apart from the chap at the end...mainly due to his reaction rather than the tackle in my view.

Decent attendance and reasonable game to watch...
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

Normally I work on a Tuesday night but attended the match on the back of a rare day off.

The match was good, Daisy Hill defended in numbers putting in a lot of blocks and often-times three or four up on Young Masters Buckley R and Watson. Their goal looked a cracker, to be fair.

Yellow Arms lads made some noise - for the first bit of the second half from up in the main stand (amazing how much difference having a roof makes in volume).

Our boys showed their class, kept their shape and patience and came through with a final brace from Niall after Conner had equalised early in the second half.

All in all it was beyond cool to be at our ground on a Tuesday night under the lights.

Y-E-L-L-O-W-S :-D

ps: Thanks to the wonderful Nici for some great tunes. Especially loved the Hives and of course, my old SCR rock show intro from Meatloaf :D

PS#2 HAPPY Anniversary you Cave dude and dudess
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

We huffed and puffed against a team that scored a good goal,defended well,I thought there centre back was a half decent player, and they rode their luck at times,
Sitting in the stand you do see a bit more of what's going on ,and I can see why some people don't like munro, he truly can be awful, but in fairness he wasn't the only one,
All that said,we,apparently didn't play well Saturday and won 4.1,didn't play well tonight and won 3.1
Sign of a good team,up the port!!
Ps,I see what they mean about the volume of the tanoy in the main stand!!
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Highlights online now.

Surely nobody sane complains about the long throw anymore?
yellow mountain
----------
----------

Post by yellow mountain »

Carver and Munro have been our best players in recent matches. I am sure he will be back in form on Saturday.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Ste_B wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:59 am

Surely nobody sane complains about the long throw anymore?
People wax lyrical about this Everton team and performance as being one of the best ever. They weren't averse to a direct long throw, as their first 2 goals prove.

https://youtu.be/UtZyEvdDhMU

If someone can take a throw in as effectively as a corner or cross why wouldn't you utilise it?
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Yes,the long throw is great if you have Gray and Sharp up front!!
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

george wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:05 pm Yes,the long throw is great if you have Gray and Sharp up front!!
It's evidently great with the players we have too.

Or is it anti football when it's us but potential European champions from the school of science when it was them?
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:34 pm
george wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:05 pm Yes,the long throw is great if you have Gray and Sharp up front!!

Or is it anti football when it's us but potential European champions from the school of science when it was them?
Even Liverpool had a throw-in coach last season. Not to learn how to take an actual throw-in, but how you can develop goal-scoring opportunities from them.

If it's cool enough for Klopp, then it's cool enough for me.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

""Throw it long,throw it long,Southport fc............
Liamsbodyguard
----------
----------

Post by Liamsbodyguard »

Tough little game last night thought daisy hill gave us a game. Can anyone though answer this question why oh why oh why on a chilly night dampish night did the club not open the jack Carr stand instead of dumping us in the blowick end of the the ground,come guys bit more thought to your supporters regarding health and wellbeing for us flu , pneumonia COVID knocking about A bit of shelter wouldn't have great for those of us who prefer to stand 🤧
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Would people prefer we go back to the days of someone standing on the side of the pitch looking despondently for someone to throw the ball at only for it to be hoofed back up the pitch by the defending team?

Getting known for being dangerous for throw-ins really changes the mindset of the defenders we face. We know defenders will try to save corners, but some teams will want to save throw-ins too. Mistakes are bound to creep in and even more goal scoring opportunities will be presented.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

It’s a strategic football weapon that’s been used for an attacking teams’s advantage for 50 years at least in the modern game, anyone for Ian Hutchinson please? Last night though it only resulted in 2 goals 🤩🤣 what a drag
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:34 pm

Quite right RR.
It's effectiveness is there to be seen in our results, in black & white, so who needs Grey, all very clear to me. :D