Southport 2-0 Alfreton - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Re: Southport 2-0 Alfreton - Match Thread

Post by Port on the Kent »

Anybody who knows how Alfreton play their football, particularly on the road, will have expected an attritional affair and that's what followed. I would like to know how long the ball was in play for during the 99 minutes of action.

We coped with their threats well, we looked very good defensively. Rhead is a pain in the arse, they get runners off him and at 0-2 they were leaving four up. Despite that, they only carved out the one chance which substitute Ceesay skewed wide, and that only came about due to a misplaced header. It was notable how Tharme started on the right but was soon shifted to the centre to take on Rhead when he started winning all the headers. It was a real battle and he came out on top. The effect of Edwards often goes unnoticed, but his positional sense is so good that he prevents attacks before they start. He always knows when to drop, when to press and where to position himself. Enjoy him while he is here! In the second half, IBR added to the defensive effort in a wing back position. There were a few occasions where he had to defend one-on-one against his winger, he won the ball each time. He was never caught too advanced either. That really gives us options, Oliver has done very well there, but if IBR can develop in that position it is a more offensive option.

Not much to report at the other end, the two pieces of quality yielded two goals. Bainbridge's turn and pass from inside his own half set up the first, and his ball to Watson who stayed composed and picked out Woods created the second. Two good moves all night, but that is all you need when the defending is so good.

I thought we didn't look after the ball in midfield as well as usual, Hmami and Vassallo are arguably our two best ball players and without them we didn't look as fluid. This may have been intentional, games against Alfreton are always a scrap and going more direct paid off. Great options from the bench.

Crap crowd. Weather was alright for November. Only Champions League game that clashed was Chelsea who do not command much support in these parts. Alfreton brought a bus (not a reference to Rhead) so you can only be talking 650 home supporters despite our home form being literally Championship winning standard. Great support from those who attended. Onwards.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Workman like performance against a dogged opposition, a few good moves here & there that was enough in a low key game.....I think there will be a different team out there again Saturday v Darlo, I like the Carver Archer duo upfront & I expect Vassallo & Hmami to play in midfield, hopefully Edwards injury hasn't flared up again....well done good 3 points
David999
----------
----------

Post by David999 »

I thought the game was badly affected by an awful ref who got so much wrong it was embarrassing . We were very solid defensively and out competed them all over the pitch . It was not pretty but we were effective - a victory against a team which are a bogus one for us especially at home - so a good result, but rode our luck when cessay got through but thankfully shot wide. So a hard earned three points which keeps the run going .
Well battled port !! Pleasure to watch it- pity more did not leave the comfort of their armchair and support their local team . Attendance so frustrating !!!!
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Don’t worry about the armchair fans....they’ll be back when we get our next big cup game, wanting the best seats and telling us how loyal they are and how they deserve tickets.....alongside our local ex footballer tv pundit friends who are southport through and through (especially when they get a free ticket, but except when it comes to turning up for run of the mill games or putting money into the club)...

I’d prefer we have and retain the loyal fans we have and the small but growing band of singers in the Jack Carr. Great to see how enthused they were walking out the ground.

Alfreton came to frustrate as ever but we beat them well. I personally thought Niall Watson was really good tonight, making a big difference. We battled hard and caught them out at their own antics. Despite being whistle happy and starting to slide towards farcical I felt the ref seemed to cotton onto their tactics about 1/3 the way through the second half and that along with the hmani sub seemed to make a big difference. Great to see Connor scoring too and his flips to match..

Their keeper should play for the England whinging team...he moaned more than even the best of the mainstand. Perhaps he should concentrate on keeping the ball out of his net.or maybe he’s just not particularly good. To remind him of the score a 2-0 port win, but could easily have been more. Another good day for port ‘working at home’....really refreshing stuff after years of dross.

Could be in the play off zone at the turn of the year.....well done to everyone. A joy to be there and definitely better than watching some dull champions league game on whatever channel it’s on this week.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:28 pm
John Glendenning wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:10 pm So excited (just from following the twitter feed as I am at work) that I am peed off that we don't have another home match until a week on Saturday. Y-E-L-L-O-W-S !!!
We're at home this Saturday in the FA Trophy.
Now I am beyond happy - see ya there :-)
Swedes
----------
----------

Post by Swedes »

It's really encouraging to see how we can change the starting formation and make a few changes to the starting XI and still come away with a result.

Tonight was not the prettiest of games but I'd expect nothing less from a game against Alfreton. I actually thought they were the better side for the first 20 minutes and played some ok football, but resorted to full-on Heath-ball at 1-0 down. Few chances for either team, we took ours, they didn't. Solid performances all over the park from our lads too.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

In the event of us not going up through the play-offs this year, I hope that we can manage to hold onto the majority (or all) of our players, if we do promotion next season is a realistic possibility.
Surely the crowds must increase if we keep up this run
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

portexileinbath wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:42 am In the event of us not going up through the play-offs this year, I hope that we can manage to hold onto the majority (or all) of our players, if we do promotion next season is a realistic possibility.
Surely the crowds must increase if we keep up this run
Depends on the financial position and if Dion goes in January or we get any decent offers in the window for Tharme, Carver, Hmami etc.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Following on from the excellent away point at Leamington last Saturday, this was a ground out win against a niggly Alfreton team.With no Munro,Hmami, Vassalo and Archer in the starting lineup,the small squad once again showed their adaptability at coping with a potentially tricky game with Buckley Ricketts, Woods and Watson all showing why this is a group of players who are "in it together". The referee was truly awful,picky,whistle happy and certainly the person you were looking at all night.Perhaps he achieved what he set out to do and made the game very messy.Coupled with Alfreton's antics at doing their best to upset Marcus Carver at almost any cost -this possibly freed up the Woods,Watson's,and Buckley Rickett's to do damage? That must be a plus going forward this season as forward options are surely what really worries opposition? Great to see Connor back and obviously scoring the goals that won the game (what potential this lad has) but MOM performances well above him on the night for me,Doug Tharme,Charlie Oliver and Liam Edwards for three all outstanding.
We've just got to keep ticking over now.
Those 3 points help take pressure to a degree off the next league game at home to Hereford a week on Saturday which will have a bit of an edge to it with the returning Steve Burr as assistant to Josh Gowling. This as well as it being between 2 teams who appear to be on the up after slow starts.
We obviously just need to concentrate on ourselves though and continue to do what we are good at.
It would be good to get Chris Doyle back soon and in contention and I hope his injury isn't worse than first feared-perhaps an update to fans on this and Russell Benjamin's progress would be appreciated I'm sure?
A great result though-well done to all.
BackoftheNet
----------
----------

Post by BackoftheNet »

Not that long ago last nights match would probably have ended in defeat or a draw at best. However we improved immeasurably in recent weeks and teams like Alfreton can no longer bully or out muscle us. In addition our talented players can unpick big rough defensive units and our two goals were classic examples.
Issac Buckley Rickets has come on hugely for us. His fitness and strength is improving and he competes. At our level he moves like grease lightening and has excellent close control. Hopefully we have a gem. Great to see Connor back. Can anyone give a score for the degree of difficulty on his impressive gymnastics display. I know nothing about gymnastics.
Keep the momentum going. Onward and upwards.
BackoftheNet
----------
----------

Post by BackoftheNet »

https://youtu.be/m8Ny9Q0O-hw
Take a look at the SFC v Cardiff cup game in 1966. Some great players from the past.

https://youtu.be/s51bRhQr7yM
Second half of same match.
Check out the state of the pitch
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

BackoftheNet wrote:
Before my time but I thought legend had it that we had one of the best pitches in the country in those days?
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

I think it was more the biggest than best.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

cobby7 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:37 pm I think it was more the biggest than best.
:D
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Fascinating film. Was at that game but I don’t think I've ever seen the film.
The pitch was well-regarded and one of the international teams (Hungary?) had trained on it before a World Cup game earlier that year. Remember at that time even first division games were frequently payed on mudbaths or dustbowls. Haig Ave always had grass.
Ridiculous to see the camera apparently missing both goals. I’ll bet the cameraman wasn’t popular at the time.
Interesting to see that both teams played it on the ground despite the bumpy surface. Very few high balls and little heading, unlike today. Difficult to lift those old balls.
Last edited by Sandgrounder SE on Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

Agree about them trying to wind up Carver keeper worried sick about him in front of goal. now a good decoy.
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

BackoftheNet wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:22 pm https://youtu.be/m8Ny9Q0O-hw
Take a look at the SFC v Cardiff cup game in 1966. Some great players from the past.

WOW! That brought back some memories, some of Southport’s greatest ever players on show. I was 13 and in Alan Spence’s class at Meols Cop. From memory, Alan almost didn’t make the game, he was suffering from flu. The papers next morning were full of pictures of him, in bed, being served tea and toast by wife Doris.
I didn’t realise that Cardiff had Terry Harkin playing for them, he later had a successful spell with us.
Fabulous video.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

Didaaah…..and portchatters I give you Tricky Dicky Marshall, who gave a real display of wing play in the Cardiff game, the pitch looked very dry though😳😳🤣🤣
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:08 pm
BackoftheNet wrote:
Before my time but I thought legend had it that we had one of the best pitches in the country in those days?
Probably the best atmosphere I have ever witnessed at Haig Ave and what an enjoyable team they were to watch.

Just a shame that the goals were not shown on the video!!
yellosoul
----------
----------

Post by yellosoul »

Stratford Excile wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:48 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:08 pm
BackoftheNet wrote:
Probably the best atmosphere I have ever witnessed at Haig Ave and what an enjoyable team they were to watch.

Just a shame that the goals were not shown on the video!!
I was a young schoolboy wandering around the ground trying to find somewhere to stand. Toilet roll confiscated by a policeman.

I’ve got the video of this game, it was shown on ITV Wales but obviously never got to see it until a few years ago. Rumour is that footage of the goals actually wore out on the original master tape due to repeated plays, presumably not by ITV Wales.