Fan led review of football governance

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Fan led review of football governance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

I haven't read it myself yet so have no comment to make yet but thought it worth sharing
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mes-future
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Re: Fan led review of football governance

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

BBC summary article: Independent regulator for English football 'endorsed in principle' by government - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59414375
Mr Ah Yes
----------
----------

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

It will be just like VAR. The intention is good (to stop "wrong things" happening) but the reality won't feel like it. There will still be controversy about decisions made, but someone will get paid a fat wage to do so.
You only have to look at Man City and Barcelona to see how UEFA FFP is a joke. One gets persecuted publicly, the other (seemingly untouched) has to offload star players for free and ask others to halve their wages because they are bankrupt.
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

Mr Ah Yes wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:40 am It will be just like VAR. The intention is good (to stop "wrong things" happening) but the reality won't feel like it. There will still be controversy about decisions made, but someone will get paid a fat wage to do so.
You only have to look at Man City and Barcelona to see how UEFA FFP is a joke. One gets persecuted publicly, the other (seemingly untouched) has to offload star players for free and ask others to halve their wages because they are bankrupt.
Literally none of this has anything to do with the fan led review.
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

Personally, I'm delighted with the report published by the fan led review (and yes I've read it all). I believe it should be supported fully by supporters and its recommendations implemented as soon as possible.

One of the real problems with football in (specifically in this case) England, is that it is "self-regulated". The FA oversees the entire pyramid, women's game, and disability football but the professional men's game is left to the Premier League, the EFL and the National League to control themselves. This is madness, because those organisations are literally owned by the clubs.

There is no incentive or imperative to curb spending, or look after supporters, or look after communities, or behave in an ethical manner.

The report, correctly, says that the FA and the leagues have had more than enough time to get their house in order and they have failed to do so. So, an independent regulator is required.

The issues Mr Ah Yes raises are issues with self-regulation. These are exactly the problems that the fan led review are trying to address.

The recommendations in the FLR would start to curb ridiculous spending, would give supporters control over heritage matters and stop, for example, another Milton Keynes Dons. It would stop the likes of Hull wanting to change the club's name against the fans wishes. It would create £160m a year extra for grassroots and lower leagues, would force clubs (in the top 5 divisions) to speak to democratically elected fans on operational issues at least 4 times a year, would strengthen the owners + directors test and start to apply it retrospectively, kicking shithouse owners out of football.

How is anyone against that?
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Wait till the regulator insists on something you don’t want
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:10 pm Wait till the regulator insists on something you don’t want
I don't believe for a second it'll be worse than the Premier League and the EFL regularly insisting on things supporters don't want. I can't see an independent regulator with a remit to protect football proposing a european super league, or mandating that PL clubs can pick up EFL youngsters for pennies, or handing control of the game to the Big 6 like project big picture...
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

cavjj wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:35 pm
Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:10 pm Wait till the regulator insists on something you don’t want
I don't believe for a second it'll be worse than the Premier League and the EFL regularly insisting on things supporters don't want. I can't see an independent regulator with a remit to protect football proposing a european super league, or mandating that PL clubs can pick up EFL youngsters for pennies, or handing control of the game to the Big 6 like project big picture...
I can't see it being any worse than leaving the status quo. Does anyone really believe Newcastle are not now run by the Saudi royal family, and a man implicated by intelligence agencies of arranging a journalists murder? Aside from the people behind the fit and proper tests.

I think we are past "better the devil you know" territory
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

As the musician Peter Hammil said. You can't always want what you get. Sad, but a fact of life.
It has to be good news for football in general.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

I am always sceptical about 'independent regulators' riding to the saviour of any industry, whether it is football, business or public services. The appointments to these theoretically benevolent bodies ultimately include members who are deeply entrenched in that sector, as they have the expertise and contacts needed. This comes with accusations of bias, previous links to an array of organisations and ultimately the position of the regulator is determined by who has wrangled their way on it.

Anybody who believes in truly independent, moral regulators... I have a bridge to sell you.

My intuitive cynicism aside, I do favour these proposals as how worse can it get. The egregious abuse of football clubs in recent years, alongside all the other lamentable episodes of mismanagement means even hard nosed cynics like me say how could things get worse.

I am in favour but do not expect white knights carrying silver bullets and mixed metaphors.