Southport 4-0 Farsley Celtic - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Unibond Awakes
----------
----------

Re: Southport 4-0 Farsley Celtic - Match Thread

Post by Unibond Awakes »

The referee stopped play due to two things... homophobia chanting and racist comments allegedly made against a farsley player... the 3/4 culprits were wearing Leeds United shirts .. great win by Port
MrC
----------
----------

Post by MrC »

Terrific first half performance from the lads! Munro’s corners were the provider for the initial headed Bainbridge and Archer goals, and to see Watson streak down the left and cross to 3 Port attackers at the far post was amazing. Bainbridge duly converting. Archer then completing the rout after 42 minutes.
Farsley went to 5 at the back in the second half, but a possible feisty session was curtailed by a responsive referee and 2 yellow cards to Farsley. We’re up to 6th place and deservedly so, and a long, long way from that 3-1 defeat at York, when I think
McPhillips was a mere spectator then, and we were bottom. Up the Port!
roving-eye

Post by roving-eye »

What was the hold up with the ref talking to almost everybody ?
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Another convincing victory, very happy our lads came through the 2nd half unscathed as it looked like Farsley had lost the plot with the cynical fouling & I feared for our players safety, not surprised some obscenities were audible from both sets of supporters as the game was over as a contest at half time which did neither Club any credit, but that's where we are in 2021, another 3 points Sunday would be great, well done the team & a better crowd too....
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Unibond Awakes wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:02 pm The referee stopped play due to two things... homophobia chanting and racist comments allegedly made against a farsley player... the 3/4 culprits were wearing Leeds United shirts .. great win by Port
Is that official reason? Not acceptable if true. Looked like something had been lobbed at Mason to me.
Feel sorry for genuine farsley fans who support their team week in week out.
Unibond Awakes
----------
----------

Post by Unibond Awakes »

Last edited by Unibond Awakes on Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unibond Awakes
----------
----------

Post by Unibond Awakes »

Unibond Awakes wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:14 pm Yep that’s the official version.... I spoke to one of the Officials on the way home.
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

Carver could be on his way to league 2 with Hartlepool barrow and Carlisle all wanting him
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

Annonymous_fan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:54 pm Carver could be on his way to league 2 with Hartlepool barrow and Carlisle all wanting him
Month old reporting
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

First half perfect, love the way we had men wide not just up front but midfield also.
Love the fact we had numbers to attack crosses and through balls.
Love the way they ran in to attack our full length corners you can jump higher on the run.
The way we gang up on the opposition to steal the ball is great.
You wouldn’t have thought we had a tough game only
A couple of days ago.
It was obvious Farsley had been told to rough us up second half and understandable we tightened up and stifled this aggression to see the game out with hopefully no match missing injuries.
Well done again to the players and management.
Our new found crowed support has been magnificent this season it would have shown a bit of class though if their foul chants hadnt followed the Farsley fans behaviour though.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Unibond Awakes wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:02 pm The referee stopped play due to two things... homophobia chanting and racist comments allegedly made against a farsley player... the 3/4 culprits were wearing Leeds United shirts .. great win by Port
Strange behaviour even by Leeds standards. A long way to come to abuse one of your local teams.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Annonymous_fan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:54 pm Carver could be on his way to league 2 with Hartlepool barrow and Carlisle all wanting him
Let's hope he's recovered from that bang on the head or he may consider one of those.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Mick g
----------
----------

Post by Mick g »

What made the performance more impressive is the fact that we no Chris doyle, Liam Edwards, Josh, marcus, and connor only came on second half just show's we have strength in depth , nice to see a good crowd today.
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

Well done SFC a great performance and a good crowd to boot. I just hope we get something against Curzon a draw would do as long as we don’t lose in front of a good crowd.
Curzon will be tough opponents at Haig Ave so anything will do.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

Personally I can not see anyone stopping our boys at the moment. On form Curzon will be a tougher prospect on Sunday but "I have a feeling" and think we will be banking another three points come 445pm. Work today, so I missed out but will be there with my volunteers on Sunday. Y-E-L-L-O-W-S :-)
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

exile wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:52 pm Brilliant... Who would've thought sixth was possible just a few weeks ago..?

WELL DONE, YELLOWS
It was there for all to see, even after 8 games !. Team spirit, a never say die attitude and some good football. Almost without exception we have got better by the game and now are possibly one of the best sides in the league. Haig Ave is a fortress and we are getting good away points. Tis a good time to be a port fan. The Port, Cheese and biscuits taste good tonight
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Any Port In A Storm wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:43 pm
tonyhey wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:05 pm Great first half performance, we looked like scoring every time we crossed the half way line. To be fair to Farsley, they did give it a go after the break, but in reality never looked like troubling our defence. Great to see 1200 home fans in the ground today, let’s hope they all come back for the Curzon game on Sunday.
One sour note, their number 11, Parkin left the field at half time shouting the foulest of language at someone in the Main Stand which had quite a few children within earshot.
Won't someone think of the children.. anyone who takes their kids to football know they are going to hear potty mouth. There was plenty from the Jack Carr stand for example today.The kids will live don't fret. They hear worse in the playground every day.
Are you serious ?
Falkland yellow
----------
----------

Post by Falkland yellow »

Watching yesterday's comfortable win, I was struck by 2 points that help to indicate how far we have come this season.

1. By the end of the 1st half, we were 4-0 up without appearimg to break into too much of a sweat. We have learnt a hard working system of how to dominate teams whilst (without too much huffing and puffing) converting a high% of our chances. This is significantly different from recent previous seasons.

2. We have a small, tight-knit squad where any of our players both deserves a start, but more importantly will meld to deliver a winning result. It was probably only last season that unless players x y and z were in the starting 11 for us we had no chance of winning, let alone dominating a match. The difference this season is that the focus on who our starting 11 are is no longer a critical factor. Yesterday we played without Edwards, Carver and Hmami - and won 4 0. Last season, we could not have left out a solid.spine to our team and still won 4 0 by half time. Liam and Terry are showing we have so many strong and winning permutations given the spirit, fitness, ability and versatility of our tight squad of players.

I see our biggest risk now being one of a combination of complacency, expectation and fitness / injuries - but trust will can navigate our way through that, ideally helped with a Dion Charles windfall should it be required.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

This game as it turned out was a "perfect fixture" following on from a fairly robust encounter two days earlier at Curzon.
An out of sorts looking Farsley team were blown away in that first half-and only got to grips with the game in the second half when it was gone as a contest.
Despite ringing the changes,with some subtle alterations we tore into the opposition with our width and pace causing havoc.As someone near me said yesterday "they all get a game"-how true and refreshing to see,as competition for a place in the starting line up?
You find it hard to pick out one particular player or performance in a game like that (so I won't) which says to me how good every player was from one to eleven.Fantastic.Everybody knowing their role,and carrying it out efficiently for their team mates.
Still early days for me (and not even half way yet) but good to see the club busy yesterday and people enjoying themselves.
Curzon next again which will be a far harder encounter-a really good footballing team.

Lets hope the word of SFC's progress continues to spread,everyone returns and gets ready to go again..
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Looking at form tables we are second (to gateshead) and the only team who haven't lost a game in the last 10 league games...
A great position to be in coming up to the half way mark. Just hope we can hold the squad together....plus keep more fans coming to HA too