Club statement on pyrotechnics

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Post Reply
george
----------
----------
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:43 pm

Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by george »

I agree with every word,however pity the club doesn't post a statement with the same enthusiasm (wrong word,but couldn't think of a better one)praising the young and growing support, whose noise has done so much this season to help what a great season we are having so far,
Just saying
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Posts: 542
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

The support has been regularly praised by the directors, management and players all season. On the website, in interviews, on social media, in the programme.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
User avatar
SfcFPA
----------
----------
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:08 am

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by SfcFPA »

george wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:13 pm I agree with every word,however pity the club doesn't post a statement with the same enthusiasm (wrong word,but couldn't think of a better one)praising the young and growing support, whose noise has done so much this season to help what a great season we are having so far,
Just saying
On the basis that they have made such a statement, and have done so repeatedly, in pretty much every interview made by any member of the playing staff, management or board over the past 6 months and yet you still appear to have missed them...where would you like this statement to be posted?
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

SfcFPA wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:43 am
george wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:13 pm I agree with every word,however pity the club doesn't post a statement with the same enthusiasm (wrong word,but couldn't think of a better one)praising the young and growing support, whose noise has done so much this season to help what a great season we are having so far,
Just saying
On the basis that they have made such a statement, and have done so repeatedly, in pretty much every interview made by any member of the playing staff, management or board over the past 6 months and yet you still appear to have missed them...where would you like this statement to be posted?
I agree. I think the club, Liam and others have made it very clear they welcome and thank the positive vocal support, particularly those younger folk in the jack Carr stand. I don't think they could do more to encourage more vocal support apart from eventually cover the pop side terrace.
As for pyrotechnics I've personally not got any issue with smoke bombs as long as they're not aimed at players or affect play. Dont like standing near any flares or firecrackers when I've been to one or two games in Europe in the past as not really keen to get burnt at a match....lots of flags and banners (but in a fan led manner not choreograped happy clapping style) can look really good...
george
----------
----------
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:43 pm

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by george »

Have been to watch Premiership football, the skill on the pitch, sometimes is breathtaking, so why do I watch Southport?,because I was born a sandgrounder,I have supported my local team all my life,and to define that support is not easy in words,those that know, know,and those that don't, never will,
Up the port!
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by portexileinbath »

george wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:02 pm Have been to watch Premiership football, the skill on the pitch, sometimes is breathtaking, so why do I watch Southport?,because I was born a sandgrounder,I have supported my local team all my life,and to define that support is not easy in words,those that know, know,and those that don't, never will,
Up the port!
We may disagree on some things but I couldn't agree more with the above. I left Southport 50 odd years ago but will always be a Sandgrounder.
I raise my glass to you all (of course it's Port...and yes) and wish you all the best for the new year, starting with 3 points on sunday.
george
----------
----------
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:43 pm

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by george »

Should auld acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind,Should auld acquaintance be forgot and the days of auld lang syne
Happy new year
Redrobe fan
----------
----------
Posts: 377
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by Redrobe fan »

Taking fireworks to a football stadium is downright stupid and illegal. Only a half-wit would do it, or enjoy it. There’s no room for discussion.
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by portexileinbath »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:34 am Taking fireworks to a football stadium is downright stupid and illegal. Only a half-wit would do it, or enjoy it. There’s no room for discussion.
Spot on RF. The same applies to racism.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:34 pm

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

What about racist fireworks?
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
User avatar
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:05 pm What about racist fireworks?
The worst kind of firework.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:34 pm

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I can only hear the word "pyrotechnics" in Alan Partridge's South African accent.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
User avatar
Swedes
----------
----------
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 pm

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by Swedes »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:05 pm What about racist fireworks?
They need stamping out.
Mr Ah Yes
----------
----------
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:35 pm

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

Maybe along with that, and bottle tops, the club can get back to tackling smokers - or has "smokes no joke" been ditched?
Ste_B
----------
----------
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by Ste_B »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:03 pm I can only hear the word "pyrotechnics" in Alan Partridge's South African accent.
Ronnie you can't.
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by portexileinbath »

A nine year old child was taken to hospital after flares were thrown by "Telford fans" at Chester (i have only called them fans because if called them what i wanted to, I would be banned for life from this site) More can be found in "the Shropshire star or Telfords website.
If anyone thinks this sort of behaviour is just a joke and is ok at a football ground ..... Please go and tell the poor victim of this CRIME, a young kid just out watching a non league football game.
I hope he was not seriously hurt and that it will not stop him going to games.
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by portexileinbath »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:59 am
SfcFPA wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:43 am
george wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:13 pm I agree with every word,however pity the club doesn't post a statement with the same enthusiasm (wrong word,but couldn't think of a better one)praising the young and growing support, whose noise has done so much this season to help what a great season we are having so far,
Just saying
On the basis that they have made such a statement, and have done so repeatedly, in pretty much every interview made by any member of the playing staff, management or board over the past 6 months and yet you still appear to have missed them...where would you like this statement to be posted?
I agree. I think the club, Liam and others have made it very clear they welcome and thank the positive vocal support, particularly those younger folk in the jack Carr stand. I don't think they could do more to encourage more vocal support apart from eventually cover the pop side terrace.
As for pyrotechnics I've personally not got any issue with smoke bombs as long as they're not aimed at players or affect play. Dont like standing near any flares or firecrackers when I've been to one or two games in Europe in the past as not really keen to get burnt at a match....lots of flags and banners (but in a fan led manner not choreograped happy clapping style) can look really good...
Still got no problems with pyrotechnics at games ?. Ask any asthma, COPD, any respiratory illness sufferer or the poor child that ended up in hospital at Chester what they think.
You post a lot of good things but on this you are so, so wrong
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

I think you've misread or misinterpreted what I said, which I was very careful about. I didn't and don't in anyway condone use.

Regarding smoke bombs I was very careful to use the word 'personally' because I recognise that others may have issues with them. I will highlight however that I was at curzon and thought the letting off of smokebombs was nonsensical by some of our fans.....didn"t get it at all.

With regard flares and firecrackers, which was the main purpose of me posting I made a clear distinction on them to highlight their dangers from personal experience. The former of these appear to be what you are referring to at chester (you say flare - although I haven't read about this other than what you say) I was very clear to say I don't like being near them at all. I think they are particularly dangerous at games. Indeed to take that further I have seen flares thrown into crowds from upper tiers of stadiums into lower tiers and the dangers of them either burning or creating panic.

On fireworks I also recall an incident at a game in Cardiff years ago when a fan I think died at a Wales game because someone sent a powerful rocket from one stand into another.

The point of my post was more to highlight that while some things are dangerous we mustn't sanitise stadiums to become what I term 'happy clapper' zones...they must retain vitality and ideally fan led originality. I was indeed highlighting alternatives to any forms of pyrotechnics rather than supporting them.

Hopefully clarifies.
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: Club statement on pyrotechnics

Post by portexileinbath »

Please do take the time to read the articles.
All I would add to my post, is that smoke bombs are very dangerous to people with respiratory conditions and that if people are so bored watching football that they need to set of any pyrotechnic device, they should go elsewhere for "entertainment".
We can agree on one thing though, Liamsdoingagoodjob. !.
Post Reply