Southport v Curzon - Sun 2nd Jan - 3pm (Match Off)

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Re: Southport v Curzon - Sun 2nd Jan - 3pm (Match Off)

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Grassroot wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:08 pm

Correct it flows into manhole at meoels cop corner and is pumped back out of stadium near main stand and fanzone
I was under the impression it drained, or at least some of it drained, into the tank for the sprinklers at the other end of the main stand.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Grassroot
----------
----------

Post by Grassroot »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:17 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:51 pm
Grassroot wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:28 pm

The drains travel across the pitch from main stand side to the poplar side same direction as the half way line. Grit slits go at a 45°angle then sand slits travel goal to goal a 3 stage drainage system
And also a perimeter drain
https://twitter.com/southport_fc/status ... lNSSg&s=19
https://southportfc.net/update-pitch-progress/
That is the picture of the main drain with the lateral junctions ready to be installed
Grassroot
----------
----------

Post by Grassroot »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:19 pm
Grassroot wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:08 pm

Correct it flows into manhole at meoels cop corner and is pumped back out of stadium near main stand and fanzone
I was under the impression it drained, or at least some of it drained, into the tank for the sprinklers at the other end of the main stand.
Nope pumped away
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

somewhat sadly im finding those pics and drain talk quite interesting!
Out of that interest Grassroots , does that deal with water off the pitch or from the terracing side or both?
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

It’s Popular Side, not Poplar.

I do recall, probably in the sixties, it being said that the pitch was considered to be among the best in England. I don’t recall how that accolade was measured or awarded.

I also have a recollection of some award being granted to the club more recently, certainly during CC’s reign, maybe in the the late 1990s or early 2000s?

FWIW, Somewhere I read (maybe in The Book) that when the pitch was originally laid, a layer of clay was put down over the sub soil sand.
Grassroot
----------
----------

Post by Grassroot »

Rabbit wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:33 pm somewhat sadly im finding those pics and drain talk quite interesting!
Out of that interest Grassroots , does that deal with water off the pitch or from the terracing side or both?
Pretty much both
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

https://southportfc.net/update-pitch-progress/
4:45 James T mentions a land drain all the way around the pitch to take water running off from the terraces. Then mentions irrigation feeding the sprinklers.
Grassroot
----------
----------

Post by Grassroot »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:49 pm https://southportfc.net/update-pitch-progress/
4:45 James T mentions a land drain all the way around the pitch to take water running off from the terraces. Then mentions irrigation feeding the sprinklers.
The irrigation is the sprinklers and vice versa
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

It's I suppose fair enough to discuss the drainage issues, and whether or not the pitch used to be better.
However what is not.open to debate is as we speak we have one of the worst pitches in the division.
Moreover pitches at clubs in local lower league's are better than ours right now.
So there's something wrong somewhere
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

Grassroot wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:41 pm
Rabbit wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:33 pm somewhat sadly im finding those pics and drain talk quite interesting!
Pretty much both
Oh right. 👍
Tell you what though , wherever the water does go , the bloody weeds do well on it. Few of us were there weeding the pitch edge again this morning and in the weeks before xmas cleared all the tarmac of weeds along the back of the Popular side…which im sure everyones noticed😂😂😂
The pitch might look rough but the tarmacs looking great👍😂😂
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Grassroot wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:50 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:49 pm https://southportfc.net/update-pitch-progress/
Ok. So i assume the sprinklers recycle water via the tank i referred to? Which must get back into the tank via the pitch drainage? But you said everything from the drainage was all pumped out of the ground.
I'm just trying to get some understanding of how it all works.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

george wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:53 pm It's I suppose fair enough to discuss the drainage issues, and whether or not the pitch used to be better.
However what is not.open to debate is as we speak we have one of the worst pitches in the division.
Moreover pitches at clubs in local lower league's are better than ours right now.
So there's something wrong somewhere
I take you’ve been to all our away games this season - if so well done, I’ve missed 3 and so far they’ve all been worse or no better than ours, don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story though Fylde 🤮 I thought was poor and check out Blyth, Spennymoor Leamington cowfield Curzon and the shit show at Chorley🙈- none any better than ours . We’re in the middle of wet wet winter get over it, one game called off and it wouldn’t have been at 3 o’clock
Grassroot
----------
----------

Post by Grassroot »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:14 pm
Ok. So i assume the sprinklers recycle water via the tank i referred to? Which must get back into the tank via the pitch drainage? But you said everything from the drainage was all pumped out of the ground.
The drainag water is pumped away and new water is brought in to fill sprinkler/irrigation tank. Crazy but that's a common way to do it otherwise you need fancy filtration systems etc so that recycled water doesn't ruin pumps, pumps are expensive and the water must be clean
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Grassroot wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:24 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:14 pm

The drainag water is pumped away and new water is brought in to fill sprinkler/irrigation tank. Crazy but that's a common way to do it otherwise you need fancy filtration systems etc so that recycled water doesn't ruin pumps, pumps are expensive and the water must be clean
Crikey. The water bill must be huge. I'd assumed we were recycling the water
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

I appreciate the filtering issue, but it is a shame that we waste so much water. A Brit uses 142 litre of water per day on average with a belief we need to get it to sub-100 l/day in the future.

Since August it hasn't been THAT wet, the North West England Precipitation record (includes some North Wales and the Lakes) has values of:

2021/mean (1961-1999) mm of water

AUG 68/91
SEP 87/96
OCT 176/108
NOV 70/105
DEC 113/106

Total 514/506

The bulk of October's rain was 27-31st, it was a near average month till then.
Grassroot
----------
----------

Post by Grassroot »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:29 am I appreciate the filtering issue, but it is a shame that we waste so much water. A Brit uses 142 litre of water per day on average with a belief we need to get it to sub-100 l/day in the future.

Since August it hasn't been THAT wet, the North West England Precipitation record (includes some North Wales and the Lakes) has values of:

2021/mean (1961-1999) mm of water

AUG 68/91
SEP 87/96
OCT 176/108
NOV 70/105
DEC 113/106

Total 514/506

The bulk of October's rain was 27-31st, it was a near average month till then.

Agreed, the problem is often when it rains, for example before or during a game. Once the grass starts to kick out on any pitch it is a knock on effect of holding more rain and kicking out even more. Recovery times are essential for grass too, if for example you have a port game Saturday then everton Tuesday then port at home Saturday in a cup match, no pitch can stand up to that. As I say no easy solutions here.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

I see some people think that are pitch is not the worst around, and to debate and argue your point of view is great,however the debate or arguments may go about the state of the pitch, let's remember one fact.
As far as I'm aware the only match called off this bank holiday weekend due to a water logged pitch was ours,......go figure
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

george wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:27 pm I see some people think that are pitch is not the worst around, and to debate and argue your point of view is great,however the debate or arguments may go about the state of the pitch, let's remember one fact.
As far as I'm aware the only match called off this bank holiday weekend due to a water logged pitch was ours,......go figure
The meteorological set up was biased towards thundery downpours in West and Southern coastal regions. A thunderstorm is more likely in January than in Feb, March or April in England, a quirk of the time of the year.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

george wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:27 pm I see some people think that are pitch is not the worst around, and to debate and argue your point of view is great,however the debate or arguments may go about the state of the pitch, let's remember one fact.
Have you considered that the country doesn't all get the exact same weather? :roll:
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Why don’t the contractors come back, rip up the pitch, then replace with a 4G?

If Grassroot is saying that no pitch can hold up to three home matches a week in the wet periods, then with the Everton agreement (which is needed), we obviously can’t avoid that. It would seem the most preferable solution is to get a 4G installed that we rent out. Contractors can pay for it otherwise they’ll be back every summer for a couple of weeks putting the pitch right.

I work for a club with a 4G pitch and the benefits are very good, to both the owners and the local community.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.