Southport v Curzon - Sun 2nd Jan - 3pm (Match Off)

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Re: Southport v Curzon - Sun 2nd Jan - 3pm (Match Off)

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

yellowfever wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:31 pm Guiseley are going to a 4G pitch next season,basically because they can't play football on grass... Buxton are well on their way up to this division with one...I'm tired of the debate on these.Sutton Utd and Harrogate got into the EFL with them and then had to go back to grass.In fairness to them both, they've both adapted well to going back to the grass-but the advantage given to them in the first place to get them there is obvious?
It just shouldn't be allowed.
If your home pitch is a bobbly, uneven surface the worst in the league is that not also an advantage? For some clubs a 4G pitch is a vital part of ensuring their finances, and these surfaces are far better then any AstroTurf the majority of us will have encountered in our younger days.

I can appreciate concerns over injuries, in Rugby a couple of Exeter Chiefs players rarely play on 4G as they feel it exacerbates injury issues, but I'd be intrigued what our resident physios think about that.
Formula Port
----------
----------

Post by Formula Port »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:34 pm
Formula Port wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:28 pm
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:13 pm Why don’t the contractors come back, rip up the pitch, then replace with a 4G?

If Grassroot is saying that no pitch can hold up to three home matches a week in the wet periods, then with the Everton agreement (which is needed), we obviously can’t avoid that. It would seem the most preferable solution is to get a 4G installed that we rent out. Contractors can pay for it otherwise they’ll be back every summer for a couple of weeks putting the pitch right.

I work for a club with a 4G pitch and the benefits are very good, to both the owners and the local community.
Why don't we just move to 5aside as well then we only have to pay a smaller squad? 4G is not the way forward.
Why not, Formula Port?
Tinpot
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Formula Port wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:12 pm

Why don't we just move to 5aside as well then we only have to pay a smaller squad? 4G is not the way forward.
Why not, Formula Port?
Tinpot
Can you define Tinpot?
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:30 pm Can you define Tinpot?
/ˈtɪnpɒt/ - adjective - informal - British

1. The playing of professional or semi-professional football in Britain on any type of artificial playing surface.

See also, entry for "nah you're alright" / "Brian Clough" + "turning" + "grave"

*A significant number of additional definitions apply
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

cavjj wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:05 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:30 pm Can you define Tinpot?
/ˈtɪnpɒt/ - adjective - informal - British

1. The playing of professional or semi-professional football in Britain on any type of artificial playing surface.

See also, entry for "nah you're alright" / "Brian Clough" + "turning" + "grave"
I was thinking there must be more than one set of criteria and that in the minds of most neutrals we probably fit many of them.
Swedes
----------
----------

Post by Swedes »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:45 am
yellowfever wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:31 pm Guiseley are going to a 4G pitch next season,basically because they can't play football on grass... Buxton are well on their way up to this division with one...I'm tired of the debate on these.Sutton Utd and Harrogate got into the EFL with them and then had to go back to grass.In fairness to them both, they've both adapted well to going back to the grass-but the advantage given to them in the first place to get them there is obvious?
If your home pitch is a bobbly, uneven surface the worst in the league is that not also an advantage? For some clubs a 4G pitch is a vital part of ensuring their finances, and these surfaces are far better then any AstroTurf the majority of us will have encountered in our younger days.

I can appreciate concerns over injuries, in Rugby a couple of Exeter Chiefs players rarely play on 4G as they feel it exacerbates injury issues, but I'd be intrigued what our resident physios think about that.
There is no firm evidence that the type of playing surface has an effect when comparing risk of, type of or severity of injury, but players believe there to be. Free to access research article here: https://sportsmedicine-open.springerope ... 018-0155-y

tldr: Footballers are both misguided and soft.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Swedes wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:21 pm
Exiled Port Fan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:45 am

There is no firm evidence that the type of playing surface has an effect when comparing risk of, type of or severity of injury, but players believe there to be. Free to access research article here: https://sportsmedicine-open.springerope ... 018-0155-y

It has to be the players opinion that matters, it's them that would be using it.
Personal opinion, football is a game played on grass, mud, sand etc.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

8 pages for a game that never happened , photos of drainage systems, arguments over one postponed game in at least 2 years, 1 loss in 18 you bunch of sad bastards move on have a word with yourselves
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

TrickyDicky wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:43 pm …arguments over one postponed game in at least 2 years…
Eh? A game has never been postponed at the Merseyrail Community Stadium.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Swedes wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:21 pm There is no firm evidence that the type of playing surface has an effect when comparing risk of, type of or severity of injury, but players believe there to be. Free to access research article here: https://sportsmedicine-open.springerope ... 018-0155-y

Thanks 😀
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

TrickyDicky wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:43 pm 8 pages for a game that never happened , photos of drainage systems, arguments over one postponed game in at least 2 years, 1 loss in 18 you bunch of sad bastards move on have a word with yourselves
This was your 7th post in the thread.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

And your 18 th or so your even sadder than me 🤣🤣👍
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

TrickyDicky wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:53 pm And your 18 th or so your even sadder than me 🤣🤣👍
I'm not the one complaining about the thread though. If it doesn't interest you, you move on.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

A use for the fan zone........?

The first annual ‘state of the pitch convention’. Forget COP 26...this has really big ‘greening’ implications. If everyone pitches in I think there are grounds for some real green shoots to come out of such an event.

Like the changed name of portchat btw....
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Post by PortDan1121 »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:12 pm A use for the fan zone........?
Dont open that can of worms :lol:
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

PortDan1121 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:26 pm
Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:12 pm A use for the fan zone........?
Could get some patchy inputs.... only some of which hold water....
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Post by PortDan1121 »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:35 pm
Could get some patchy inputs.... only some of which hold water....
To be fair the fanzone has some quite nice drainage. They do have that sink thing behind the bar to pour down undrank pints....

Ah wait hang on im thinking of an actual fanzone :lol:
portexileinbath
----------
----------

The first annual ‘state of the pitch convention’. Forget COP 26...this has really big ‘greening’ implications. If everyone pitches in I think there are grounds for some real green shoots to come out of such an event.

Like the changed name of portchat btw....
But, but, but.....what about grassroots football what will happen to it ?.
And judging by the intensity of the discussions we need an ego & eco friendly surface :lol:
Worth remembering the game will still br played and when it is, the same 3 points will be on offer to us.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

PortDan1121 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:26 pm
Don't open any cans of worms near the pitch, their casts are adding to the pitch problems. :idea:
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Formula Port wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:12 pm

Why not, Formula Port?
Tinpot
A nice, succinct argument. That's me told.

We could play your suggested 5-a-side on a new 4G pitch, in the way of a community foundation level tournament. Excellent idea, FP.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.