Southport v Curzon - Sun 2nd Jan - 3pm (Match Off)

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Re: Southport v Curzon - Sun 2nd Jan - 3pm (Match Off)

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:23 pm Was a 10 years ago we had a 14:40 new years match at Harrogate? Today has brought that one to mind. A real shame for all who travelled wherever they started.
My Facebook memories inform me it was 13 years ago today!
Grassroot
----------
----------

Post by Grassroot »

We're to start with haig pitch? The October/November games killed it, too many games too many teams plus excessive rainfall.The pitch is not structurally up to that much play. At some point it needs to be reinforced with either fibre sand or desso stitched.

The corner is a legacy from pitch reconstruction going bad, it is still not correct even after the same company somewhat repaired second time round. Basically from middle of goal jack Carr end to pine tree side half way line (on the diagonal) needs material removed down to about 4 inch and replaced with good material. If you dig down under the surface of the corner it is drier underneath I will almost guarantee it.

I think the best groundsman in the world would struggle to make that pitch work. The lack of fall on the pitch was a bad design. Very little camber doesn't allow for keeping the water flowing off the pitch. This means if the water doesn't land direct on a drain it sits.

Here in is the problem.
Revenue for everton home games
Everton provide fertiliser etc
Everton help with renovation end of season

This is all opinion garnered from speaking to people who know.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Grassroot wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:44 am We're to start with haig pitch? The October/November games killed it, too many games too many teams plus excessive rainfall.The pitch is not structurally up to that much play. At some point it needs to be reinforced with either fibre sand or desso stitched.

The corner is a legacy from pitch reconstruction going bad, it is still not correct even after the same company somewhat repaired second time round. Basically from middle of goal jack Carr end to pine tree side half way line (on the diagonal) needs material removed down to about 4 inch and replaced with good material. If you dig down under the surface of the corner it is drier underneath I will almost guarantee it.

I think the best groundsman in the world would struggle to make that pitch work. The lack of fall on the pitch was a bad design. Very little camber doesn't allow for keeping the water flowing off the pitch. This means if the water doesn't land direct on a drain it sits.

Here in is the problem.

So are we to conclude that "one of the top" contractors didn't know this and didn't consult with the people who knew this? They surely can't have got it wrong twice?
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Grassroot
----------
----------

Post by Grassroot »

I think we can conclude they improved from their first attempt but didn't cure the problems, excessive rainfall and games pushes the pitch past it's limits. There is no easy fix to this all options leave southport worse off. If they get rid of everton in terms of lost revenue, or you completely rebuild the pitch with a complete stone carpet and improve the rootzone with a reinforced top would probably cost upwards of half a million quid. Rock and a hard place is effectively were the pitch is at the moment.
loyal jay
----------
----------

Post by loyal jay »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:22 pm
Port on the Kent wrote:we all remember the days we had the best pitch in the league
Do we? Which league, what era?
I seem to remember we were runners up to Tottenham ( White Hart Lane ), don’t ask me which year!
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

loyal jay wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:43 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:22 pm
Port on the Kent wrote:we all remember the days we had the best pitch in the league
Do we? Which league, what era?
I seem to remember we were runners up to Tottenham ( White Hart Lane ), don’t ask me which year!
I don't remember this and have never read it in any history of the club that's ever been written, but we're all supposed to remember it according to POTK.
Presume this must have been Football League days but the video evidence on Youtube of games from the 1960s and 1970s hardly presents evidence of an award winning pitch so it must have been an earlier time that few are alive to remember.
Either that or its one of those myths like the tide never coming in, the street under Nevill St still existing and Sefton taking bribes to stop Burger King opening.
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

Grassroot wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:44 am We're to start with haig pitch? The October/November games killed it, too many games too many teams plus excessive rainfall.The pitch is not structurally up to that much play. At some point it needs to be reinforced with either fibre sand or desso stitched.

Here in is the problem.

Yes. So many issues as you describe and a further two i am advised by one of those working on the pitch this season is worm casts…not only can that increase the spread of muddy patches which are then spread around by boots and can increase weeds and also attracts birds pecking at the surface en masse( during week the pitch attracts an intresting variety!) and also all the water drains off the Popular side down towards the pitch.
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

Our pitch in FL 1968/78 was a cracker I only remember the Wimbledon game being called off in 1977/78.
It needs a rest and is getting far too much hammer, Everton playing here doesn’t help I know it brings in revenue but in the end is it worth it?
I’m sure many of you know far more than me on this subject “ Everton” but I for one was pleased it was called off to save the pitch.
I just think the Everton using Haig Avenue does us no favours.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Rabbit wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:32 pm also all the water drains off the Popular side down towards the pitch.
I'm pretty sure when the pitch work was being done the club posted videos of a drain being dug the full length of the Popular Side touchline so surely anything running off the Popular Side terrace would drain into that and not reach the pitch.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Gloucester wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:47 pm Our pitch in FL 1968/78 was a cracker .
There was more sand than grass on the pitch when we played Everton in 1968 (there's an aerial photo of the match from a newspaper report that shows it to more effect than this video but I can't find int)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFhz_Qz1DVc&t=282s
Plenty grass in 1979 but it looks rather uneven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpiT7b3JiLU&t=4s
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

I don't think in this Covid period that SFC can afford to turn down being involved with Everton FC.
They are a Premier league club for goodness sake, which many clubs at our level and below would grab their hands off to be connected too.
I think that It's very short sighted and a touch arrogant to say we don't want them involved at Southport FC.
We are in 2022 and not 1975.
Unibond Awakes
----------
----------

Post by Unibond Awakes »

This issue with pitch only seems to have really surfaced in the last 5years as we never seemed to have pitch problems like we saw yesterday after a bout of rain or so one can only draw to the conclusion the replacing of the original pitch would be the root cause of the issue..you’ve got to look at the contractors here first...I would assume Rob will be raising this issue with Ian Kyle once again unfortunately..thanks to RR for posting that Haig Avenue Video from 1979...I remember the last game v Buxton May 87 just 244 witnessed it and I still think the Scarisbrick Road stand could have been saved!
Last edited by Unibond Awakes on Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

Ralph I was 7 in 1968 though I was at the game,but the 1970s pitches were good and I can only find Wimbledon for cancellation by water logging.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Unibond Awakes wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:22 pm I remember the last game v Buxton May 87 just 244 witnessed it and I still think the Scarisbrick Road stand could have been saved!
I was told at the time that a couple of local councillors (friends of my late father) made representations on behalf of the club to the council to try and save it as it was a couple of years younger than the Popular Side but to no avail. I'm not sure how much difference a couple of years less neglect would have made to it's condition or whether it would have been deemed fit for the Conference in 1993 had it survived.
I was sad to see the terracing go but if it had survived it could well have jeopardised promotion in 1993 had it been deemed unfit or in need of replacement then.
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:54 pm
Rabbit wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:32 pm also all the water drains off the Popular side down towards the pitch.
I'm pretty sure when the pitch work was being done the club posted videos of a drain being dug the full length of the Popular Side touchline so surely anything running off the Popular Side terrace would drain into that and not reach the pitch.
Youd think hed know about that wouldnt you!😂 . I must ask him when i see him
Grassroot
----------
----------

Post by Grassroot »

Rabbit wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:52 pm
The drains travel across the pitch from main stand side to the poplar side same direction as the half way line. Grit slits go at a 45°angle then sand slits travel goal to goal a 3 stage drainage system
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Grassroot wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:28 pm
The drains travel across the pitch from main stand side to the poplar side same direction as the half way line. Grit slits go at a 45°angle then sand slits travel goal to goal a 3 stage drainage system
And also a perimeter drain
https://twitter.com/southport_fc/status ... lNSSg&s=19
https://southportfc.net/update-pitch-progress/
Grassroot
----------
----------

Post by Grassroot »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:51 pm

Correct it flows into manhole at meoels cop corner and is pumped back out of stadium near main stand and fanzone
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

There's definetely a "yellow tinted glasses" look back at the state of the pitch back in the League days, particularly latterly... Not great..Some of the best surfaces I recall were definetely in our early Conference days in the mid 90's.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:51 pm