Marcus Carver

Post by Port on the Kent »

mark thomas
----------
----------

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by mark thomas »

we have George as a natural replacement on the plus side

shame if he goes but very good luck to him, he's done a superb job for us this season
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Reliable source or regurgitation of a rumour?
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
BackoftheNet
----------
----------

Post by BackoftheNet »

If it happens then good luck Marcus. A real warrior on the pitch, works his socks off for the team and had a good partnership going with Jordan. He will be greatly missed.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Would be disappointing to lose him, but a positive sign of the strength of our squad when we've someone like George Newell almost ready to replace him.

Top goalscorers don't tend to come cheap in January and at 28 it's unlikely he'll be sold-on up the leagues, so hopefully we'll get a decent sum for him if he goes.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Good move for him. I’m not sure Newell will be quite as effective in the short run, sadly.
Shows again our perennial dilemma - bank the money or pursue a single-minded promotion bid.
micky finn
----------
----------

Post by micky finn »

With his numbers this season he was always going to be noticed.
Mick g
----------
----------

Post by Mick g »

If it's true good luck to the lad , he's worked really hard this season but he would have to be replaced by someone, George isn't ready and if jordon takes a knock then we going to struggle that would send out the wrong message to the fans who starting to creep back to haig ave .
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Mick g wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:00 pm If it's true good luck to the lad , he's worked really hard this season but he would have to be replaced by someone, George isn't ready and if jordon takes a knock then we going to struggle that would send out the wrong message to the fans who starting to creep back to haig ave .
This whole business sends out the wrong message to returning fans.

but yes, good luck to him.
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Post by PortDan1121 »

Good luck to Marcus. Been a great asset to the team and been immense this season. Looking forward to seeing Archer and Newell up top
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Good luck if this turns out to be true. At 28 he probably won't get another chance at the FL so we can hardly stand in his way - think we've made that mistake before (Karl Ledsham and Liam Nolan spring to mind).

Would be good to know the fee, and if there isn't a massive hole in the finances as stated in the last interview we would have to get a replacement in even if Newell comes back firing. It would be a shame to lose out on the playoffs this season for the want of another forward as we arguably did in 2012.
Last edited by Ronnie Hotdogs on Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Yes I too wish him the best but here we go again a decent team in the offing & bingo the unravelling starts, we will never return to higher reaches by getting rid of your best players, or at least get a decent sum for him to help rebuild, I am sceptical about teams like Hartlepool Accrington they surely don't have a lot of money to throw about so what are we going to see 10/20k......poor reward for fans who turn out week in week out, I hope it doesn't happen for purely selfish reasons, but he has earned his chance & good for him..
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Didn’t we get £20K for Sampson? Surely for Carver it would be at least double?
Mick g
----------
----------

Post by Mick g »

Well hartlepool have just got into the 4th round of the fa cup so I say let's stitch them up while they are on a high.
Swedes
----------
----------

Post by Swedes »

We have to accept that we are likely to lose our best players to teams higher up the leagues occasionally. It seems to be a key part of our business model, and a selling point to ambitious players that we will help develop them and get them into full-time football. We're not in a position to compete financially with other teams at our level, so we have to do things differently. This model has worked and continues to work for Accrington (apart from the Dion Charles farce), so let's stick with the process and hope it works for us.

If the move does come off, then good luck to Marcus and thanks for the service. Can't say he's not deserved it.
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:54 pm Yes I too wish him the best but here we go again a decent team in the offing & bingo the unravelling starts, we will never return to higher reaches by getting rid of your best players, or at least get a decent sum for him to help rebuild, I am sceptical about teams like Hartlepool Accrington they surely don't have a lot of money to throw about so what are we going to see 10/20k......poor reward for fans who turn out week in week out, I hope it doesn't happen for purely selfish reasons, but he has earned his chance & good for him..
Agreed.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Swedes wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:40 pm We have to accept that we are likely to lose our best players to teams higher up the leagues occasionally. It seems to be a key part of our business model, and a selling point to ambitious players that we will help develop them and get them into full-time football. We're not in a position to compete financially with other teams at our level, so we have to do things differently. This model has worked and continues to work for Accrington (apart from the Dion Charles farce), so let's stick with the process and hope it works for us.

If the move does come off, then good luck to Marcus and thanks for the service. Can't say he's not deserved it.
Spot on.
Knowing that SFC will not stand in their way when league clubs come knocking is is a crucial factor in some players joining us. We are lucky to have a manager who has the ability to spot these players and to get the best out of them.
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

I still can’t understand how we managed to get him in the first place.
We don’t have a track record on signing proven scorers.
And he got Chorley promoted with his goals.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

We are assuming this information is accurate.
I suspect Doug Thame may also go in this window.

George is a good replacement, but a different type of player. He is still not 100% fully fit. Marine's game fell to the weather
yellosoul
----------
----------

Post by yellosoul »

He’s a better all round player than Dion Charles but doubt that the transfer fee will reflect that. Good luck and thanks Marcus