Marcus Carver

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Firstly good luck to Marcus. We all have to look after our families and head towards our personal dreams which I suppose is why it hurts a lot when a player like this leaves.....many of our dreams are getting back to the football league as a club.

Wish figures weren’t undisclosed so we could end the debate about whether it’s worth it or not. If it was an unbelievably low sounding £20k then surely the club keeping him and winning play off promotion would be worth more, as would credibility with the fans, hence I really can’t see it was that low...

No team can ever be a one player based one and I think the optimist in me sees that we do this time at least have options and can score goals without Marcus...
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

yellowfever wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:18 pm To be fair portexileinbath, I don't think in Marcus's wildest dreams would the thought of EFL football even entered his head when he signed for SFC! I'm sure he thought that chance had well gone,so It's too his credit that the chance has come again-which is why he just couldn't ignore the opportunity.
You could well be right it's one of those things we will never know. You must admit that knowing the club will allow you to move on if a league club comes calling must be attractive to any young ambitious player and could be a deciding factor in them coming to play for is in the first place.
We (the supporters) have been lucky the club has maintained it's policy because, I think it has been a major factor in the hunger and never say die attitude of the players we have now, they want to impress.
Far from being a worry to the squad, I think the remaining players will consider MC's departure as a chance to step up, show what they can do and hopefully follow him.
I wish didn't have to sell on our assets but sometimes it has to be done. Having said that, I am still predicting a top 5 finish and top 3 is not beyond us.
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

His thank you to the club and fans on Twitter is pure class what a bloke what a player.
I have never known a player get his head on the ball so much he goes up for everything which is great when you have the longest thrower.
I will be watching out and wish the very best for him and I am sure he will be watching out for us.
Thanks Marcus.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

On the 9 Jan 1965,southport played Don Revies Leeds United ar Elland Road,in front 31,000,
Yep without selling are best players we wouldn't be where we are today, great in it,Nuff said,up the port
portsupporter

Post by portsupporter »

It’s great that he has a chance in the football league and helped the club with the transfer fee money we have received. We can’t keep selling our best players tho if we want to compete.
exile
----------
----------

Post by exile »

Congratulations and best of luck to Marcus… he’s done a great job for us.

It’ll be hard sustaining our run now... It’s always easier with a proven goalscorer. I’m sure the other lads will chip in, but Marcus was brilliant at this level. Our already-thin squad may well need some fresh bodies in…
loyal jay
----------
----------

Post by loyal jay »

The best signing we could make at the moment would be securing Terry McPhillips, the change in the team since Jon left has been night and day.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

george wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:17 am On the 9 Jan 1965,southport played Don Revies Leeds United ar Elland Road,in front 31,000,
Yep without selling are best players we wouldn't be where we are today, great in it,Nuff said,up the port
I'm not sure the attendance at an away game 57 years ago as a result of a random cup draw would persuade Marcus to stay but:

Our average home league gate that season was 2878.
Our average league away gate that season was 6184
During our golden era we attracted less than half the support of our peers.

We are where we are today and we are a selling club due to lack of support.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:20 am
george wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:17 am On the 9 Jan 1965,southport played Don Revies Leeds United ar Elland Road,in front 31,000,
I'm not sure the attendance at an away game 57 years ago as a result of a random cup draw would persuade Marcus to stay but:

I agree, RR.

I also think there's nothing wrong with being a selling club either. We should embrace certain aspects of that belief. We bring hungry lads in, get them playing well, then push them up the league. Doesn't every non-league club pretty much do that anyway? And if they don't, then surely they want to? Unless you're a richer non-league club of course.

I think we've shown players in the lower leagues or players that need a kickstart (e.g. Shaun Whalley), that under Liam Watson we can offer a way back up, should they be prepared to work hard. There's a lot to be said and admired about that.

You could argue a team like Leicester City are a selling club too. Bring players in, develop them, sell them on for huge fees. And they're lauded. Yes, it's a different level in standard and finances, but the point is still the same. Every club is a selling club unless you're in the "top six" Premier League sides (Spurs aside).
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

loyal jay wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:01 am The best signing we could make at the moment would be securing Terry McPhillips, the change in the team since Jon left has been night and day.
Totally correct.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:20 am

Yes I agree that SFC is a selling club it would be rather better financially if the players were on a binding contract so the club could command a better fee, I understand that is not going to happen, on the point of Golden Era the following season we excelled ourselves finishing in the 5th Rd of the FA Cup playing Hull City at a packed Boothferry Park in front of more that the 31000 at Elland Road plus, under Billy Binghams promotion team our Home attendances exceeded 5000 on average whilst the likes of Stockport & Tranmere attracted double that, twas the Friday Football faze. In short we have lost a cartload of support over the years....ps I agree that Terry McPhillips should be persuaded to stay on long term if possible...
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

I would say that the Leeds game was played just before the golden period, but it was certainly a good team and we faced Jack Charlton and the rest. 3-0 if I recall correctly.
We went on a special train from Chapel Street! One of our key players was injured (was it Alan Spence?) and we had a stand in centre forward who was normally a central defender and we weren't at our best. I thought we might have done better.
In those day the professional squad was about 13 strong!

Another special train to Hull. I didn't think we played as well as we had been doing at Hull either. Disappointing.

ASP is right we had some good gates in the Bingham and Meadows years - especially against local rivals such as Stockport, Tranmere, etc
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Stratford Excile wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:52 pm
loyal jay wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:01 am The best signing we could make at the moment would be securing Terry McPhillips, the change in the team since Jon left has been night and day.
Totally correct.
The team has certainly performed since he arrived, but do we know for sure that it is his input that has made the difference?
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Redrobe fan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:51 pm
Totally correct.
The team has certainly performed since he arrived, but do we know for sure that it is his input that has made the difference?
I do not think you need a calculator to work it out or to have a University Degree.

The performances since his arrival have been like night and day and it is too much of a co-incidence to put it down to luck.

We were bottom of the league when he arrived and look where we are now-what more proof do we need.

We need to secure his future with us NOW.
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

We played well in those early games mostly against full timers.
We could won the drawn games and got something from the narrow losses.
York was thee only baddy.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Stratford Excile wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:07 pm

Totally correct.
I do not think you need a calculator to work it out or to have a University Degree.

The performances since his arrival have been like night and day and it is too much of a co-incidence to put it down to luck.

We were bottom of the league when he arrived and look where we are now-what more proof do we need.

Not to take anything away from him, but I think people are over estimating the impact an assistant manager can make to a team in just a few hours.

His arrival coincided with a significantly easier run of fixtures. Home to Boston being the only real decent side, who are fairly useless away from home.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Stratford Excile wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:07 pm

Totally correct.

The fact we were bottom of the league was due to the horrific opening series of matches. Look at the 4 games we lost away, most teams will lose those games and in the overall context of the season the 4 home draws were not such bad results. The signs that we were a decent side were there, it was just unfortunate the fixtures came out in that order. I have been saying this all season,
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Jordan Darr the striker for Charnock Richard who played against us las night seems to have a really impressive goal scoring record having scored 51 goals in 62 appearances for the club and 30 goals in 32 appearances this season so far.

Just wondering why his name does not appear as a possible replacement for Marcus Carver.

Even though he is playing in a league lower than ours he certainly knows where the net is!
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Stratford Excile wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:31 am Jordan Darr the striker for Charnock Richard who played against us las night seems to have a really impressive goal scoring record having scored 51 goals in 62 appearances for the club and 30 goals in 32 appearances this season so far.

Just wondering why his name does not appear as a possible replacement for Marcus Carver.

Even though he is playing in a league lower than ours he certainly knows where the net is!
It's a big risk moving someone up 3 divisions.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

What a wonderful statement from Marcus. In an age where politeness and civility are all but extinct, his words speak volumes for the man he is, a fierce competitor, a gentleman and a darn good striker.
Thanks Marcus and the very best of luck for the future.