Marcus Carver

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by cavjj »

There are possibly 4 or 5 clubs in the country that can afford to keep their best players at all costs. We’re not one of them. We’d all love Marcus to stay but he deserves a shot higher up.

I do like Newell, I think with a decent run of games we’d be just as strong but hopefully we don’t have to wrap him up in too much cotton wool.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Paulisi wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:45 pm I suspect George Newell will be recalled a week early to allow him to play on Tues as Marine have no midweek game.

Whether Liam will look for a target man is another question. There aren't too many out there that would fit Liam's mantra of being young and improving.
Jack Sampson on loan?
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

george wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:12 am Ps ,just existing as a club,isn't enough, LW should remember that
Existing requires income.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:12 am
george wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:12 am Ps ,just existing as a club,isn't enough, LW should remember that
Existing requires income.
We need a good cup run. Our rags to riches story starts with Charnock Richard away.....
loyal jay
----------
----------

Post by loyal jay »

As a striker, Newell has very different technical and physical attributes to Carver, the latter is obvious. Carver has been particularly good with his arial duals, allowing us to retain possession higher up the pitch and being an effective partner to Archer. Newell gets himself in great positions and executes within the box as a poacher, which would mean a greater emphasis on our wide men getting the ball in the box. We’d also need Archer to step up his physicality and be a foil for Newell, I’m not sure that’s his game. One things for sure, we’ve been a lot more potent with 2 upfront and that has coincided with our rise up the league.
puskas
----------
----------

Post by puskas »

In my opinion we do need a new striker and for that role I am sure that Liam and Tommy Lawson will have earmarked someone, whether that is one dropping down that will improve for regular football or one from below us that is ready to step up we will see. We have got some bonus money about that can be invested in the right player. However to get the right player may take until summer.

I don't think George is the right man for now although I think he will be in time. The injury he got was a very bad one and it will have left psychological problems that George will hopefully over come in time, but it will take time and the best I think we can hope for is that he is back to something like his best by next season. Anybody that has followed the Seamus Coleman developments at Everton after he got a similar injury will understand that.

It does represent a great opportunity for Isaac Buckley- Rickets, the potential is clearly there with him but he does need to start scoring a few more goals and being more positive in front of goal.

We just need to watch out that as supporters we don't get ahead of ourselves, promotion wasn't expected this season and if we make the play-offs we will have achieved the target for the season, if we just miss out we have still hit an outer bull and that isn't bad. In my opinion though the team has come on leaps and bounds over the last 12 months.

The policy to bring in hungry young players is working and when outside players see players moving on to Football League clubs it will persuade more of those good hungry young players to join Southport.

Marcus has done a great job this season and he will be missed, but there are so many positives in what is going on lets just keep things in perspective the club is growing and one day soon they will be back in the National League. Lets enjoy the ride I think we have good times to come.
From the Shores of the River Ribble
To the Banks of Fine Janes Brook
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

It was:
From the Banks of (the) River Ribble
To the Shores of Fine Jane's Brook
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

puskas wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:18 am In my opinion we do need a new striker and for that role I am sure that Liam and Tommy Lawson will have earmarked someone, whether that is one dropping down that will improve for regular football or one from below us that is ready to step up we will see. We have got some bonus money about that can be invested in the right player. However to get the right player may take until summer.

I don't think George is the right man for now although I think he will be in time. The injury he got was a very bad one and it will have left psychological problems that George will hopefully over come in time, but it will take time and the best I think we can hope for is that he is back to something like his best by next season. Anybody that has followed the Seamus Coleman developments at Everton after he got a similar injury will understand that.

It does represent a great opportunity for Isaac Buckley- Rickets, the potential is clearly there with him but he does need to start scoring a few more goals and being more positive in front of goal.

We just need to watch out that as supporters we don't get ahead of ourselves, promotion wasn't expected this season and if we make the play-offs we will have achieved the target for the season, if we just miss out we have still hit an outer bull and that isn't bad. In my opinion though the team has come on leaps and bounds over the last 12 months.

The policy to bring in hungry young players is working and when outside players see players moving on to Football League clubs it will persuade more of those good hungry young players to join Southport.

Marcus has done a great job this season and he will be missed, but there are so many positives in what is going on lets just keep things in perspective the club is growing and one day soon they will be back in the National League. Lets enjoy the ride I think we have good times to come.
Couldn't have put it half as good as this myself.
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

I think it is time for the Club to decide if we are serious about getting out of this league and if we are then Marcus Carver will need to be replaced as we cannot afford to go down by one striker for the final push.

Good luck to Marcus Carver and I am sure he will do well in the football league as he knows where the net is!

Come on SFC show the supporters that we mean business.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Stratford Excile wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:58 pm I think it is time for the Club to decide if we are serious about getting out of this league and if we are then Marcus Carver will need to be replaced as we cannot afford to go down by one striker for the final push.

Good luck to Marcus Carver and I am sure he will do well in the football league as he knows where the net is!

Come on SFC show the supporters that we mean business.
100% agree with this. All good to let someone go higher but it’s then imperative he’s replaced with the right addition(s). We have an outside chance of doing something really special this season. Be good for LW and IK to give us that best shot of doing so with the Carver cash.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

I am sure LW has a plan that will work. What we don't need is a knee jerk reaction and hasty spending of the money from MC.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Recruitement at our level in the main is always done in the in the Summer-not in January when unless you've come across a situation like SFC have done now with Marcus Carver,clubs in the main will not be looking to do much in the way of buisness.
Puskas is spot on.
Mr Ah Yes
----------
----------

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

portexileinbath wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:17 pm I am sure LW has a plan that will work. What we don't need is a knee jerk reaction and hasty spending of the money from MC.
There has been talk of Carver / Tharme / maybe others, being eyed up by other clubs for a couple of months now. Fairly sure the club have been on the lookout for suitable replacements, so I doubt if anyone coming in will be as a result of a knee jerk reaction. Whether there are any, and whether we can attract them here, is another matter.
Delighted that we have Edwards until the end of the season, whatever the reason for the need happens to be
puskas
----------
----------

Post by puskas »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:01 pm It was:
I have slept in the last 40 years :)
From the Shores of the River Ribble
To the Banks of Fine Janes Brook
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

puskas wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:40 pm
Are you Rip Van Winkle?
Hillside Raider
----------
----------

Post by Hillside Raider »

I've been around the block too many times to become too emotionally attached to players whether this is watching SFC or previously watching Liverpool.

A bit of a Catch 22 situation for SFC. We could be playing at our usual level looking over our shoulders at relegation with little or no outside interest in our players. Or we could have players performing out of their skins (Last 10 league games W8 D2 L0 GD+15) which will eventually attract interest from clubs with bigger budgets who are able to offer far more attractive contracts.

Taking off my yellow tinted specs I would expect the opportunity for a 2/3 year full time contract for a 28 year old with a young family is a bit of a no brainer. No idea regarding contract details but would expect with bonuses the overall level of income will provide a reasonable existence in what are really uncertain times.

Also the chance to have a crack in the EFL is a huge motivator for a lot of the young players in our side - many of our players have come from academies where for whatever reason they just haven't quite made it first time around and drop down the leagues to find regular game time to develop. If we are seen to be obstructive when these players start to realise their potential then we are less of an attractive prospect to next crop of future young talent we are trying to recruit.

How do we break the cycle? It's difficult. Either increased income - (from gate money, commercial activity or inward investment) where you are still having to compete with the likes of Fylde/York/Chester/Boston/Kiddy financially or keep getting it right every time in terms of recruitment and unearthing players that other teams at our level don't seem to spot.Whatever the answer is it's probably not going to be an overnight thing for us.
Met him on a Monday
----------
----------

Post by Met him on a Monday »

Yes it will be a great loss to lose Marcus but one of the major factors to his success has been the quality support he's received by getting the ball into the box . From throws by Doug , crosses by Connor , Niall and link play with Jordan. That quality still remains with us (for the moment ) , so as long as that continues I m sure one of the lads will get on the end of them.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

The thing that bugs me most about this is that other goalscorers in this league seem to stick around. The likes of Glen Taylor, Macauley Langstaff, Lee Ndlovu etc. have remained at their respective clubs at this level for a lot longer than Carver has been with us, and have maintained a higher level of performance for longer, therefore indicating by definition that they are better players than him. Yet still, he is older than all but Taylor who has been at Spennymoor for his entire recognisable senior career, since his early 20s back in their Northern Prem days, and has been putting in chart-topping numbers for years now. I don't understand A) the interest in a man who's, let's face it, up until this season had a less than inspirational goalscoring record at this level and the one above and B) why none of those aforementioned players haven't been snapped up by EFL teams if it's so difficult to keep hold of them when the big bad League 2 teams come knocking as some users are stating? I understand our business model may be different, but fundamentally the clubs who's players I've just mentioned want the same thing as we do; National League football.

Surely then, even if we do stick to our model of being purely a nursery for the EFL, we should've more than accrued enough money since the sales of Devarn, Morgan, Charles (who we've just received ~£75,000 for that not many of us were expecting, and will more than sustain on-the-field operation until at least a point at which we're ideally in the NL and Carver's services can be found an adequate replacement for.) With perhaps the exception of Gateshead, none of the players I mentioned have teams that could even remotely compete with any League 2 team in terms of wages if they went in for them. So why do those players stay at their clubs? Your guess is as good as mine, although I predict it's probably something to do with ambition- they stay at their clubs because they have a realistic chance of playoffs every season, and I'd now, for the first time in a long time, put us in the same bracket as those teams.

To Marcus, if he's reading which I highly doubt, or indeed anyone at the club, a phrase from a similar situation at the very peak of the English game comes to mind; "Stay here, and they'll build a statue of you. Go to Barcelona, and you'll be just another player." Marcus has a chance here to be the guy in 10 years that you hear people reminiscing about over a pint and a portion of chips. If he goes to Hartlepool, no one will remember his name in 5 years, never mind having grown men fangirling over that goal. All I ask personally is he sticks it out, and really shows the EFL clubs his merit as a goalscorer, and gets a gig closer to home and with a better and more ambitious club than Hartlepool United in the summer. I don't care if he goes for free, as far as I understand it his contract is up then anyway, or, maybe, the club could look into keeping their best centre forward since Richard Brodie. For just one more year. We've banked £75k which we didn't expect 8 days ago, which will more than stem the financial mire we're currently facing. There's no reason for the club to allow him to leave. End of.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

David_1276 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:36 pm The thing that bugs me most about this is that other goalscorers in this league seem to stick around. The likes of Glen Taylor, Macauley Langstaff, Lee Ndlovu etc. have remained at their respective clubs at this level for a lot longer than Carver has been with us, and have maintained a higher level of performance for longer, therefore indicating by definition that they are better players than him. Yet still, he is older than all but Taylor who has been at Spennymoor for his entire recognisable senior career, since his early 20s back in their Northern Prem days, and has been putting in chart-topping numbers for years now. I don't understand A) the interest in a man who's, let's face it, up until this season had a less than inspirational goalscoring record at this level and the one above and B) why none of those aforementioned players haven't been snapped up by EFL teams if it's so difficult to keep hold of them when the big bad League 2 teams come knocking as some users are stating? I understand our business model may be different, but fundamentally the clubs who's players I've just mentioned want the same thing as we do; National League football.

Surely then, even if we do stick to our model of being purely a nursery for the EFL, we should've more than accrued enough money since the sales of Devarn, Morgan, Charles (who we've just received ~£75,000 for that not many of us were expecting, and will more than sustain on-the-field operation until at least a point at which we're ideally in the NL and Carver's services can be found an adequate replacement for.) With perhaps the exception of Gateshead, none of the players I mentioned have teams that could even remotely compete with any League 2 team in terms of wages if they went in for them. So why do those players stay at their clubs? Your guess is as good as mine, although I predict it's probably something to do with ambition- they stay at their clubs because they have a realistic chance of playoffs every season, and I'd now, for the first time in a long time, put us in the same bracket as those teams.

To Marcus, if he's reading which I highly doubt, or indeed anyone at the club, a phrase from a similar situation at the very peak of the English game comes to mind; "Stay here, and they'll build a statue of you. Go to Barcelona, and you'll be just another player." Marcus has a chance here to be the guy in 10 years that you hear people reminiscing about over a pint and a portion of chips. If he goes to Hartlepool, no one will remember his name in 5 years, never mind having grown men fangirling over that goal. All I ask personally is he sticks it out, and really shows the EFL clubs his merit as a goalscorer, and gets a gig closer to home and with a better and more ambitious club than Hartlepool United in the summer. I don't care if he goes for free, as far as I understand it his contract is up then anyway, or, maybe, the club could look into keeping their best centre forward since Richard Brodie. For just one more year. We've banked £75k which we didn't expect 8 days ago, which will more than stem the financial mire we're currently facing. There's no reason for the club to allow him to leave. End of.
I admire the passion but your realism is way off. Marcus has a young family and an opportunity to play full time professional football in the football league. No guarantee this opportunity comes around again for a variety of reasons: drop in form or an injury being two. He’s ‘probably’ signed a 2/3 year contract as some has mentioned above on a professional contract which gives him a nice contract at his age.

The bit about comparing Hartlepool to Barcelona is something I don’t understand - he could go to Hartlepool and bang in 40 goals in the next two seasons - he’ll be remembered and probably get a bigger move after that.

I think you’re being a bit unfair on the club. It’s been commented widely in this thread that we can’t be seen to keep hold of players who will obviously have an ambition to go pro.. Instead, we should be helping them. No harm in that. If they’re performing well, it usually means we are as a result: which is true right now.

Can’t speak for why players may stay at their clubs for a long time, other than out of happiness and being with a hometown club perhaps. Dale at Blyth was a class act but was there for over 500 games (don’t fact check me 🤣). Happiness is key. And remember, a lot of these lads are semi pro so their other job may be more important than their football and more of a reason to keep them in that area or at that club. Again, that shouldn’t be used against someone. In our latter years in the National League, one or two posters continually said that we were getting the worst pro players available by being full time; rather than the best semi-pro players by being part time.

As I said, I enjoy your passion, but not sure you’ve got a grasp of the full situation. Every player is different at this level, there is no general consensus.

Good luck to MC.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
puskas
----------
----------

Post by puskas »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:33 pm
puskas wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:40 pm
Are you Rip Van Winkle?