Marcus Carver

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Re: Marcus Carver

Post by PortDan1121 »

cavjj wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:03 pm I heard it's £700m
£700m, a 90% sell-on fee for us, a 20-year contract, a £1m bonus for Marcus if he gets 3 black eyes a season.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Exiled wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:16 am So let's imagine that we blocked this move. That would almost certainly upset/anger an ambitious player like Carver. As his contract expires in the summer he then loses motivation/form and either stops scoring, or stops playing, and then leaves for free in the summer. The worst of both worlds for everyone involved. I really don't see how the club had any other option?
Not to mention the disastrous impact it would have on the wider squad morale. Too many people think we are Barcelona or something, a panacea of football and the aim of every player to play for us. We ain't.

I could understand some of these posts if we were selling him to Fylde or a bottom of the National League club, but we aren't, it's football league, he wants it, he deserves it and we should encourage and support it. For once "News of Former Players" in the football league won't be a former loan player but one of our own.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

PortDan1121 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:14 pm
£700m, a 90% sell-on fee for us, a 20-year contract, a £1m bonus for Marcus if he gets 3 black eyes a season.
That's more like it Dan! 🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️🤭
yellow mountain
----------
----------

Post by yellow mountain »

More like £80k from what i have heard.
southportvulcan

Post by southportvulcan »

yellow mountain wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:46 pm More like £80k from what i have heard.
And your reliable source is who 😂😂😂
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Maybe it's as much as we get off Everton to trash the pitch!!
Let's hope are great run continues,football is fickle, if it does great, if it doesn't, we'll that should see a few more supporters head for the exit gate, and not return
Churchtown Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

Sundance wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:37 am Wonder if Marcus came to the attention of Hartlepool because of the North East link. We played a fair few games against Spenymoor, Darlington and Blyth. Managers speak on the phone don’t they? Oh yes I almost forgot he also is near the top of the goalscorers league. He also loves a high press and puts himself about. He gives centrbacks a hard time. He has a good personality and work ethic and will enhance any changing room. Hartlepool are getting a great player, but they know that.
Maybe he just fancies being on the right side of refereeing decisions in the north east!
Pirate Jim
----------
----------

Post by Pirate Jim »

I wonder what Jeff Stelling will make of him ??? Good luck Marcus I hope all goes well for you and your family. We will miss you not only for your goals but also for your all round enthusiasm and work rate. Absolutely first class.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

george wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:32 pm,football is fickle, if it does great, if it doesn't, we'll that should see a few more supporters head for the exit gate, and not return
The last game saw us win 4-0 in front of 1200 without Marcus Carver. But yeah it's all doom and gloom aint it.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

I think everyone needs to read the personal tribute now on the SFC "Home" website from Marcus Carver which says everything...Well done,and thanks for that Marcus.
I have real empathy to David 1276-you are the fantastic future of this football club-and will see success again I'm sure...The town still needs a wake up call...Great posts above from Big Mac and Exiled too....
Liam and Ian are in charge at SFC these days,under their own command and total control of how monies received can be used for SFC's benefit.I've more confidence now with these two in control than under previous regimes as to the use of any income to SFC and I'd like to think that plan to get SFC back on the football map is already underway.This transfer plus any monies from the sale of Dion must be part used to aid that process.
As Big Mac1985 pointed out again and which has been mentioned so many times recently on here,I hardly think the football club will be rolling in cash since Covid lockdown-so much income lost and this will be very welcome I'm sure.
As I've said,we still have a host of players who can step up and make names for themselves-and I think they will carry on what has been started.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

PS At Hartlepool Marcus wlll be joining ex Port loanee Reagan Ogle and former centre back Neil Byrne.
Brianm
----------
----------

Post by Brianm »

Good luck to Marcus and really hope he makes an impression at Hartlepool. He has been great for us and deserves his chance. Go with our blessing Marcus. We will miss him, I'm sure but life at SFC now depends very much on Jordan Archer stepping up to the scoring plate. He can do it with help from the others, including, hopefully, George Newell. Come on lads, we're right behind you all.
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

Yeah, I heard that too.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

To those moaning about SFC giving MC the chance to move to an EFL club, I would ask. Do you think he would have signed for us, if he hadn't had assurances about being allowed to leave if a league club came calling, I doubt it. The same probably applies to some of our younger players.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

To be fair portexileinbath, I don't think in Marcus's wildest dreams would the thought of EFL football even entered his head when he signed for SFC! I'm sure he thought that chance had well gone,so It's too his credit that the chance has come again-which is why he just couldn't ignore the opportunity.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

I’m sure a player will be signed wisely.

Finding it interesting to read that some feel the board of directors do not reinvest into the squad, Jordan Archer was signed for an undisclosed fee in late 2020, during a time of no crowds…

I trust Liam will have someone in mind, and that someone will be the right character to suit the football club. They have to be right.

My knowledge is only a guess but personally, wouldn’t be surprised to see Jack Sampson return on loan with his contract up at the end of the season. That would be good business.
Mick g
----------
----------

Post by Mick g »

I might be wrong, but jack Sampson has not scored a goal in 16 attempts so he can stay where he is.
loyal jay
----------
----------

Post by loyal jay »

Mick g wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:34 pm I might be wrong, but jack Sampson has not scored a goal in 16 attempts so he can stay where he is.
I'm on the same page, considering he's in a team who's expected to dominate the division, it's poor and he'd be a step backwards. Until the sponsorhip money is realised, if ever, I would expect the recent profit to cover the deficit. The Marcus transfer has been touted for weeks, and as shrewd operators, I would like to think we have someone in mind to bring in ( I think Ian or Liam mentioned they had back-up plans in a recent interview ).
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

Personally, I am very happy for Marcus and have congratulated the lad on Twitter. He is a hard working brave young man who gives 150% out on the pitch. For those who are unhappy about it - why on earth would or should we stand in the way of progression? Most especially as others have pointed out, at the age of 28, such an opportunity is unlikely to come calling again. We have a young, talented and ambitious squad who will see that hard work can bring reward - as I am sure Liam makes clear when they sign. Yes of course, just like everyone else, I want to see Southport FC back in the EFL, at which point; just maybe our club can be an attractive proposition for already proven players too.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

Roday1878 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:23 pm My knowledge is only a guess but personally, wouldn’t be surprised to see Jack Sampson return on loan with his contract up at the end of the season. That would be good business.
I really hope we've moved on from his class of striker :lol:

I'd guess we'll look to the Northern Prem for a Jason Gilchrist-type player (without the attitude or mentality, just a similar archetypal "poacher"). I'd personally love Diego de Girolamo from Buxton, someone who's been more than ready to make the step up for years but I'd guess he'd probably rather enter the NL or L2 given the stage he's at in his career.

We absolutely must sign someone though, our squad is still extremely small and we cannot rely on George Newell at all until at least next season given his time out.