FA Trophy - Solihull (home)

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Paulisi
----------
----------

FA Trophy - Solihull (home)

Post by Paulisi »

We have a home cup match tomorrow against one of the better sides in the league above.

Will Solihull put out the first XL? We saw what a decent standard Alty were in the FA Cup match.

No idea what team Liam will put out, we are comfortable and capable of rotating of squad at will.
George Newell is still with Marine, but available Tues and Russ Benjamin is not fit enough to start yet.

Prediction:
Southport 1 Solihull 2
Unbeaten run ends...
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Re: FA Trophy - Solihull (home)

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Kiss of death but I reckon we'll beat them.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:45 pm Kiss of death but I reckon we'll beat them.
I know CPR !.
I think you are right 2-1 and the run continues. BPA and Glos to follow in the league....onward and upward !.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

A no pressure game again for me...a good test against a team from the National League as was Altrincham in the FA Cup when we were a touch unlucky on the day.I'm sure Solihull will go strong-why wouldn't they? As for the Port,our squad picks itself and obviously no Marcus Carver! I think we'll have to bring someone in,even if it's a loan player because I can't see George Newell playing that many games for us this season.He'll have to be brought up to speed very carefully and hasn't played that much for Marine yet, so I could easily see that loan being extended? It's time to try Connor Woods down the middle now and see if he can form a partnership with Jordan Archer? That in turn should see Niall Watson get more game time,and a great opportunity for these lads to show what they can do.Isaac Buckley Ricketts is still learning what this level is all about IMHO,bags of skill and ability but he needs to improve his decision making-which will improve with coaching I'm sure.His best asset is his speed and a bit of extra practice ala Marcus Carver could be the difference,not just to him but several of this squad.The players who "make it" usually have that extra bit of determination.
Tuesday night against Bradford PA is a bigger game for me..
Hillside Raider
----------
----------

Post by Hillside Raider »

Paulisi wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:53 pm Will Solihull put out the first XL?
If they're allowed to field 40 players I don't give us much chance in even in our current form.

Obviously a tough game but I think the 3/1 odds for us on offer from the bookies are very generous given we're at home. Probably Solihull are favourites but I have it closer than that.

1-1 Att 825
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

Solihull are a stronger team than Altrincham but equally, whilst they are on the edge of the P.O. places, the reality is that the FAT is their best chance of success this season so I'd expect them to be going for it.
Presumably it's extra time and penalties if scores are level after 90 minutes?
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

For those travelling. It's dry but slightly overcast here now. Rain not forecast. Hopefully pitch should be OK.....
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

yellowfever wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:28 pm A no pressure game again for me...a good test against a team from the National League as was Altrincham in the FA Cup when we were a touch unlucky on the day.I'm sure Solihull will go strong-why wouldn't they? As for the Port,our squad picks itself and obviously no Marcus Carver! I think we'll have to bring someone in,even if it's a loan player because I can't see George Newell playing that many games for us this season.He'll have to be brought up to speed very carefully and hasn't played that much for Marine yet, so I could easily see that loan being extended? It's time to try Connor Woods down the middle now and see if he can form a partnership with Jordan Archer? That in turn should see Niall Watson get more game time,and a great opportunity for these lads to show what they can do.Isaac Buckley Ricketts is still learning what this level is all about IMHO,bags of skill and ability but he needs to improve his decision making-which will improve with coaching I'm sure.His best asset is his speed and a bit of extra practice ala Marcus Carver could be the difference,not just to him but several of this squad.The players who "make it" usually have that extra bit of determination.
Agreed
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Rabbit wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:10 am
yellowfever wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:28 pm A no pressure game again for me...a good test against a team from the National League as was Altrincham in the FA Cup when we were a touch unlucky on the day.I'm sure Solihull will go strong-why wouldn't they? As for the Port,our squad picks itself and obviously no Marcus Carver! I think we'll have to bring someone in,even if it's a loan player because I can't see George Newell playing that many games for us this season.He'll have to be brought up to speed very carefully and hasn't played that much for Marine yet, so I could easily see that loan being extended? It's time to try Connor Woods down the middle now and see if he can form a partnership with Jordan Archer? That in turn should see Niall Watson get more game time,and a great opportunity for these lads to show what they can do.Isaac Buckley Ricketts is still learning what this level is all about IMHO,bags of skill and ability but he needs to improve his decision making-which will improve with coaching I'm sure.His best asset is his speed and a bit of extra practice ala Marcus Carver could be the difference,not just to him but several of this squad.The players who "make it" usually have that extra bit of determination.
Agreed
Even better news now on Jack Bainbridge...