News of Former Players - it's back!

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Richard Brodie scored for Ashton Athletic in their 1-1 draw at Prescot Cables.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Jason Walker scored for Holker Old Boys in their 3-2 defeat at Daisy Hill.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Jason Gilchrist scored for Buxton in their 1-1 draw at Peterborough Sports.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Devarn Green scored the winner for Telford in their 1-0 home win over Chorley.
Also Jack Sampson was sent off for Chorley with two Yellow cards!
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:45 pm
David_1276 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:34 am
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:22 pm Neil Gibson is the new manager at Connah’s Quah Nomads after leaving Flint Town United in the summer.
Completely unrelated but my girlfriend's mum dated him for a while. He seemed a nice guy but I never really got to talk to him about his exploits in a 'Port shirt! 😂
Mainly going down like he had been hit by Mike Tyson?
Honestly I don't know, I don't remember him playing 😂
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

He played 28 matches for us in season 2002-03. We signed him after he got released from Sheffield Wednesday.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:40 pm He played 28 matches for us in season 2002-03. We signed him after he got released from Sheffield Wednesday.
That'd be why, I wasn't born until 2 seasons after that :lol:.
Churchtown Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:22 pm Neil Gibson is the new manager at Connah’s Quah Nomads after leaving Flint Town United in the summer.
Completely unrelated but my girlfriend's mum dated him for a while. He seemed a nice guy but I never really got to talk to him about his exploits in a 'Port shirt! 😂
He got chinned by Darren Caskey. Sounds better than the truth anyway 😂
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Churchtown Yellow wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:46 pm

He got chinned by Darren Caskey. Sounds better than the truth anyway 😂
Simply the funniest red card ever shown, as befits the best game of football ever played. You have to give the ref, Andy Penn, credit for superb comic timing.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

Not sure whether he really counts as a former player, but ex-youth prospect Edvards Servuts was on the teamsheet yesterday as Burscough went out in the extra preliminary round of the FA Cup to something called Silsden AFC. As my most local club geographically, it really is a shame how far they've fallen, and the situation they find themselves in which is similar but significantly worse than the one we ourselves were in about 8 or 9 years ago.
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

David_1276 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:46 am Not sure whether he really counts as a former player, but ex-youth prospect Edvards Servuts was on the teamsheet yesterday as Burscough went out in the extra preliminary round of the FA Cup to something called Silsden AFC. As my most local club geographically, it really is a shame how far they've fallen, and the situation they find themselves in which is similar but significantly worse than the one we ourselves were in about 8 or 9 years ago.
Im not sure Burscough have ‘fallen’ a long way. Theyre three leagues below Port but considering its a village, its about the right level and i think they probably punched above their weight in the past. That largely depended on the managers they had who tended( and still do) to bring in players who then often left when the manager does.

Two weeks ago, the latest manager left after a few weeks in post possibly taking a good few or most of the prospective players i think! Two chaps involved in Steven Gerrards academy i believe have taken over the role so itll be interesting to see the team now.

Im not sure how the club keeps going financially given the gates of 100 or so but Its a nice new small ground and well worth visiting (when Port are away in my case). At present Skem ( promoted from the same league last year to Northern Prem west) are sharing and beat Padiham in FA cup there yesterday.
I have seen some excellent entertaining games at Burscough and theres a decent skill level and the games are usually end to end affairs!

Its very competitive and the teams in the NWCL are all strong. Maccelsfield passed thru last season on their way back up and Bury Afc will prob do same this year. Isle of Man just promoted in this season.
Silsden by the way is a town in Yorkshire and they are a strong team.

I can recommend the short train ride to Burscough Bridge , a pint in the Hop Vine and watching the match before the train back( or another pint😀)
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Silsden,like Guiseley, Ben Rhydding, Menston is one of those villages in Yorkshire were they play hockey, cricket, football and/or Rugby out of a clubhouse. Usually family affairs (grandad, dad, son all players for the teams. Played Silsden at cricket a few times in my Leeds days, nice places.
Portoldie
----------
----------

Post by Portoldie »

George Newell scores for Bala Town in their 6-1 Welsh League Cup victory at Chirk. Paul Rutherford and Ross White also feature.
SfcFPA
----------
----------

Post by SfcFPA »

Absolutely love Maes Tegid. What a beautiful setting that is for football. Been over to watch a number of former Sangrounders there in recent years and wish George all the very best.
---
One Club Since 1888
https://amzn.to/3BlNHHM
---
Visit our website: Southport FC Former Players Association
formerplayers@southportfootballclub.co.uk
@SouthportfcFPA
Join our lottery for a chance to win £25,000
Http://sfc1881.uk/Lottery
haigavel
----------
----------

Post by haigavel »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:42 pm Silsden,like Guiseley, Ben Rhydding, Menston is one of those villages in Yorkshire were they play hockey, cricket, football and/or Rugby out of a clubhouse. Usually family affairs (grandad, dad, son all players for the teams. Played Silsden at cricket a few times in my Leeds days, nice places.
Could the Matty McNeil who was assistant manager for Silsden in 2016 be the 6ft 5in striker who played for us 2010/11?
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

haigavel wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:59 am
Exiled Port Fan wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:42 pm Silsden,like Guiseley, Ben Rhydding, Menston is one of those villages in Yorkshire were they play hockey, cricket, football and/or Rugby out of a clubhouse. Usually family affairs (grandad, dad, son all players for the teams. Played Silsden at cricket a few times in my Leeds days, nice places.
Could the Matty McNeil who was assistant manager for Silsden in 2016 be the 6ft 5in striker who played for us 2010/11?
And father of Everton’s Dwight McNeil, yes.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Portoldie wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:08 pm George Newell scores for Bala Town in their 6-1 Welsh League Cup victory at Chirk. Paul Rutherford and Ross White also feature.
Brad Bauress is there too. Not sure if he played though? Bala have a great shout at the Welsh title this season. Good luck to them!
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Kevin Ellison has signed for Warrington Rylands.
Still going strong at 43 after his release from Newport County this summer.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ross Sykes booked at Ibrox for Union SG in their Champions League qualifier.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Swedes
----------
----------

Post by Swedes »

Connor McCarthy has signed for dem bad wools at City of Liverpool. Heavy dat.