News of Former Players - it's back!

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
David_1276
----------
----------

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by David_1276 »

David Raya Martin made his debut yesterday for Spain in a 2-1 win vs Albania- will always remember his heroics in the short time he played for us, not least that spectacular display away at Derby County.

Are there any players who currently play for us/ have left within the last 2 or 3 years that could reach the heights of Raya? My money's on probably not but there's a case to be made that Dion keeps on improving so I wouldn't be surprised to see him there or there abouts in the next few years.
Swedes
----------
----------

Post by Swedes »

Jack Higgins scored an injury time equaliser for Barnoldswick Town against Ashton Athletic yesterday.
old gold and black
----------
----------

Post by old gold and black »

The one person everyone has missed is George Bromilow who played for England at the 1956 Brisbane Olympics which I think was the last time we had an amateur team at the Olympics. David Fitzpatrick gained England "C" caps I seem to remember.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:59 pm
YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:50 pm See Lee Trundle was on Football Focus today, still playing at 45 for Ammanford AFC in the Welsh Division Two.
Looks the slimmest I've seen him
…and picking up a great salary for that level. Ammanford also had Leon Britton playing for them earlier in the season.
Leon, too, has lost a lot of weight since he was Home Secretary.
yellosoul
----------
----------

Post by yellosoul »

old gold and black wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:03 am The one person everyone has missed is George Bromilow who played for England at the 1956 Brisbane Olympics which I think was the last time we had an amateur team at the Olympics
It was Great Britain who George Bromilow represented at the Olympics. He scored twice as GB beat Thailand 9-0 in the opening round game.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Ross Sykes was sent off for Accrington in the 91st minute today in their 4-4 draw with Cheltenham
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Jonny Margetts got his 29th league goal of the season in Stamford's 2-0 away win at Daventry.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Mark Duffy got Macclesfield's 4th goal in their 4-2 home win over AFC Liverpool in front of another big crowd, 4,720.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Yves Zama got his 6th league goal in just 11 appearances for Fort William in their 3-1 defeat at Keith.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Maybe I am being grumpy because of the result, but News of Former Players used to be for highlighting the quirks and career progressions of some renowned (and less renowed) ex-players - not a weekly update on Margetts and Zama.

Have a day off.
Dicko's Gloves
----------
----------

Post by Dicko's Gloves »

old gold and black wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:03 am The one person everyone has missed is George Bromilow who played for England at the 1956 Brisbane Olympics which I think was the last time we had an amateur team at the Olympics. David Fitzpatrick gained England "C" caps I seem to remember.
1956 Olympic games were in Melbourne
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:07 pm Maybe I am being grumpy because of the result, but News of Former Players used to be for highlighting the quirks and career progressions of some renowned (and less renowed) ex-players - not a weekly update on Margetts and Zama.

Have a day off.
I'll do it even more now, just to annoy you! 😈
Yes you are Mr Grumpy! 🤣
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:57 am
Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:07 pm Maybe I am being grumpy because of the result, but News of Former Players used to be for highlighting the quirks and career progressions of some renowned (and less renowed) ex-players - not a weekly update on Margetts and Zama.

Have a day off.
Yes you are Mr Grumpy! 🤣
You are becoming a boring fart. POTK is quite right
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Marcus Carver had his photo taken with fans at the hartlepool game yesterday according to his twitter. They were delighted.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:09 pm Marcus Carver had his photo taken with fans at the hartlepool game yesterday according to his twitter. They were delighted.
It's been a disastrous move so far on the face of it for Marcus (and SFC to a degree) It seemed like "a good idea" at the time for all parties and is still understandable as we more or less all agreed at the time.His early injury at Hartlepool in an attempt to bridge the fitness gap seems to have hampered him ever since though-and I just hope he still proves his worth to Hartlepool.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

superbike999 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:01 pm

Have a day off.
Yes you are Mr Grumpy! 🤣
Lol 😆
Well I've had people text and even comment to me that they like my updates on news of our former players....which is what the the thread is about after all!
If you don't like the thread or my posts then just don't read them, rather than writing rude comments.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:01 pm
superbike999 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:01 pm

Yes you are Mr Grumpy! 🤣
Lol 😆
Well I've had people text and even comment to me that they like my updates on news of our former players....which is what the the thread is about after all!
If you don't like the thread or my posts then just don't read them, rather than writing rude comments.
I do like the thread and I usually enjoy your posts, but perhaps too much Margetts and Zama (who many will struggle to remember), although I do remember Margetts (vaguely)
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Well I'm sorry but this boring old fart finds it interesting as do others going by my feedback on tracking the progress and good fortune of Margetts, Zama and others. Margetts in particular is on fire, he's always scored goals wherever he went in non league but struggled once he got his big move to Lincoln, shame he didn't stay longer with us.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:52 pm Well I'm sorry but this boring old fart finds it interesting as do others going by my feedback on tracking the progress and good fortune of Margetts, Zama and others. Margetts in particular is on fire, he's always scored goals wherever he went in non league but struggled once he got his big move to Lincoln, shame he didn't stay longer with us.
Judging by Margetts current record perhaps we should be looking at re-signing him in view of our current sickness/injury record with goal scorers, especially after yesterdays debacle, perhaps the worst performance I have seen from SFC
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

superbike999 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:06 pm
YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:52 pm Well I'm sorry but this boring old fart finds it interesting as do others going by my feedback on tracking the progress and good fortune of Margetts, Zama and others. Margetts in particular is on fire, he's always scored goals wherever he went in non league but struggled once he got his big move to Lincoln, shame he didn't stay longer with us.
Judging by Margetts current record perhaps we should be looking at re-signing him in view of our current sickness/injury record with goal scorers, especially after yesterdays debacle, perhaps the worst performance I have seen from SFC
Would love him back, unbelievably he's still only 28!
Yes I have to agree on the performance yesterday. Unfortunate to have our blip right now but it really is no coincidence that since Carver left our form has dropped. Shame we couldn't if agreed a loan back deal with Hartlepool like we have with Doug Tharme, especially when you only see Marcus coming on as a sub rather than starting for Pools.
Really missed Archer yesterday too.