Possible transfer targets for next season etc...

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Liamsbodyguard
----------
----------

Possible transfer targets for next season etc...

Post by Liamsbodyguard »

Just thinking about what possible signings Liam could bring in for next season does anyone have any ideas who they would like see join the squad .
cobby7
----------
----------

Re: Possible transfer targets for next season etc...

Post by cobby7 »

Paul Huntington centre half 500 games for Preston released Give us a couple of years before he retires .
Liamsbodyguard
----------
----------

Post by Liamsbodyguard »

Tom Bentham, centre forward experienced non league player recently released by Ashton utd may slot in well with Jordan archer up front.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

Definitely need an experienced winner at this level or the one or two above, as I think Terry alluded to in his post match interview vs Bradford we'll most likely mainly be looking for older consistent players imo. And of course the few left-field signings we normally get that almost invariably perform far better than anyone would expect, such is the local scouting network at the club, like a Connor Woods-esque type. Either way we need perhaps another 3 at least more than we've had this season.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Two players that add experience and have been released in the EFL which stand out is Shaun Whalley that experienced winger and has the obvious connection to Southport, and the other is Jay Spearing released by Tranmere as he taken on a coaching role at Liverpool Academy so could be looking for part time football, also was Terry’s captain at Blackpool.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

I suspect we’ll be signing local under 25’s from the Conf North and below.

There’s maybe a few I can’t think of but apart from Brabin I don’t remember a time that LW has signed anybody over 30?
Liamsbodyguard
----------
----------

Post by Liamsbodyguard »

Some decent suggestions coming in folks another thing I'd like to see next season is names on players shirts coz I find it hard sometimes to see who playing or subbed etc
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Prince Ekpolo from Guiseley would be good. Stood out a mile when we played him and I think he lives over this way.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Jordan Buckley at Warrington scored 17 in NPL last season.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Roday1878 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:03 am Two players that add experience and have been released in the EFL which stand out is Shaun Whalley that experienced winger and has the obvious connection to Southport, and the other is Jay Spearing released by Tranmere as he taken on a coaching role at Liverpool Academy so could be looking for part time football, also was Terry’s captain at Blackpool.
No no no no no!
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Redrobe
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe »

Some interesting and good suggestions here but Liam will have his own opinions and won’t be influenced by us.having said that I will offer my own opinion. I think we have a promising young squad but we need to bolster it with some experience at centre back, defensive and attacking midfield and goal scorer. Budget might be the issue though. I do like the sound of the lad at Ashton. Also, any one know what happened with Dave Morgan, wasn’t even on the bench for the final games of the season.
I
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Ste_B wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:19 am I don’t remember a time that LW has signed anybody over 30?
Tony McMillan!
couille du chien
----------
----------

Post by couille du chien »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:12 am Prince Ekpolo from Guiseley would be good. Stood out a mile when we played him and I think he lives over this way.
Yeah would be a good one,where is his palace
Redrobe
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe »

In the White City
Redrobe
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe »

Just looked at Accrington’s website and Dave is still under contract. Want both him and Marcus to make the most of their chance but if it does go wrong I don’t want to read about them going to Fylde or Chorley.
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:12 am Prince Ekpolo from Guiseley would be good. Stood out a mile when we played him and I think he lives over this way.
Ive been boringly banging on about him since he was at Burscough a few years back
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Ste_B wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:19 am I suspect we’ll be signing local under 25’s from the Conf North and below.

There’s maybe a few I can’t think of but apart from Brabin I don’t remember a time that LW has signed anybody over 30?
The odd older head might be of use, just to give support to the youngsters. We were such a confidence team this year, so we were awful, then amazing then abit meh. A Chris Price style wide head might just provide some balance in that respect.
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

Liamsbodyguard wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:27 am Some decent suggestions coming in folks another thing I'd like to see next season is names on players shirts coz I find it hard sometimes to see who playing or subbed etc
agree names would be good i tick off game starters on the program when i can get one be nice for the shirt sponsors too on another tack glad they signed carberry looks like a good addition to the squad cheers mick
Any Port In A Storm
----------
----------

Post by Any Port In A Storm »

I think Spearing would be a good shout as it appears to fit with his new career if he wants to keep playing in some way. Senior player to put their foot on the ball and an experienced forward would be good additions plus a couple of rough diamonds from the NPL perhaps.
JC06
----------
----------

Post by JC06 »

As altrincham are making the move to full time, a fair few of their more experienced players are leaving, might be a bit hard to fight off what I would’ve thought would be strong competition but Josh Hancock is surely worth a look?