Possible transfer targets for next season etc...

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
yellowfever
----------
----------

Re: Possible transfer targets for next season etc...

Post by yellowfever »

I love the optimism on here which is great, as regards attracting a bit of experience into our ranks which i think most of us think would be good-for a largely young group of players.
However the likely hood of picking up a Huntingdon or a Spearing is pretty unlikely I would imagine.We are now at National North level NOT National-and surely that calibre of player would be looking at an Altrincham,Wrexham,Stockport,Kirkham,York whoever?
Just don't see it-sorry.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Ste_B wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:19 am There’s maybe a few I can’t think of but apart from Brabin I don’t remember a time that LW has signed anybody over 30?
I can only think of one other off the top of my head, Matty McNeil, and the only reason i know that is because his son was playing for Burnley today. I had no idea it was is son until randomly browsing wikipedia earlier.

It seems in the last 4 years he does go for under 25 ish. But it feel like his first spell had some older heads in it. Chris Price was towards the top end of 20s surely?
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Sam wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:52 pm
Ste_B wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:19 am There’s maybe a few I can’t think of but apart from Brabin I don’t remember a time that LW has signed anybody over 30?
I can only think of one other off the top of my head, Matty McNeil, and the only reason i know that is because his son was playing for Burnley today. I had no idea it was is son until randomly browsing wikipedia earlier.

It seems in the last 4 years he does go for under 25 ish. But it feel like his first spell had some older heads in it. Chris Price was towards the top end of 20s surely?
Haha makes you feel old doesn’t it? :oops:

There’s usually been a few 25-30. Benjamin and Carver this season. Chris Price, Kevin Lynch, Neil Fitzpatrick I think were 25+ but experienced players at our level. Apart from Dean Winnard I don’t remember many at all dropping down from the league.
Any Port In A Storm
----------
----------

Post by Any Port In A Storm »

I think the Spearing angle is I doubt he will join a full time club if he has a coaching gig with Liverpool academy. He may decide to retire from playing of course. Didn't Brabin coach at Everton whilst playing for Southport?
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

How about Devarn Green & Jason Oswell who may be available from Telford, speedy winger & proven Goal scorer....
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:29 pm How about Devarn Green
No. Please no.
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

I think how both George Newell and Russell Benjamin do in terms of continuing rehab following injury could affect who we go for.

Liam may be thinking in terms of Newell/Archer up top, he's always spoken highly of George.

Still think we need another striker as well, and also more goals off Niall/Connor/Josh/midfield generally.

As others have said, some midfield muscle/guile would be a sensible addition too.

If the right players with the right character are out there, Liam and Terry will know who they are.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Jordan Hulme released by Fylde
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

Would love Hulme at port
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Always scored against us! 🤦‍♂️
He'd be a decent signing with his experience and goals.
He found out he'd been released by Fylde on Twitter!
No one has rung up to tell him! Typical Fylde, horrible club.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

If we signed him, I may change my mind about not renewing my season ticket
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Ben Tollitt would be a good addition from Fylde. Just been released.
Redrobe
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe »

Jordan Hulme signed for Altrincham. Wouldn’t be surprised if Liam Hogan, released by Stockport, didn’t end up there too.
puskas
----------
----------

Post by puskas »

Roday1878 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:21 pm Ben Tollitt would be a good addition from Fylde. Just been released.
Ben would be a good addition and will be on the radar and Liam will know all about him via Tommy Lawson, he was with Skem under Tommy when he moved to Portsmouth.

He lives in Liverpool so local and IMO he will have trouble getting a full time contract after being released by Fylde, so a possibility. He is a decent lad so would fit in.

However because he has been full time his wage demands might be high and as a winger he isn't the goal scorer Southport do need, also he is 27 and might be considered too old to develop and sell on plus he has suffered some injuries recently.

I personally think he will try to stay full time and if he can't get fixed up, he might find Southport of interest and as such might well take part in some friendlies as a trialist. . . So he won't be here anytime soon if he comes (hope I am wrong on this point).

Liam and Tommy will have him on their list but he might not be top of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Tollitt
From the Shores of the River Ribble
To the Banks of Fine Janes Brook
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Annonymous_fan wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:09 pm Would love Hulme at port
Unfortunately he doesn't get on with Liam after the Phenix dismissal.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

puskas wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:12 pm
Roday1878 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:21 pm Ben Tollitt would be a good addition from Fylde. Just been released.
Ben would be a good addition and will be on the radar and Liam will know all about him via Tommy Lawson, he was with Skem under Tommy when he moved to Portsmouth.

He lives in Liverpool so local and IMO he will have trouble getting a full time contract after being released by Fylde, so a possibility. He is a decent lad so would fit in.

However because he has been full time his wage demands might be high and as a winger he isn't the goal scorer Southport do need, also he is 27 and might be considered too old to develop and sell on plus he has suffered some injuries recently.

I personally think he will try to stay full time and if he can't get fixed up, he might find Southport of interest and as such might well take part in some friendlies as a trialist. . . So he won't be here anytime soon if he comes (hope I am wrong on this point).

Liam and Tommy will have him on their list but he might not be top of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Tollitt

Played 38 scored 9 in NLN - Fell out with Rowe apparently.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Recruitement of players this close season is I reckon going to be harder than ever for SFC and obviously Liam. By and large we are surely going to be looking for players yet to prove themselves and also having that desire to succeed in the game- ala Doug Tharme.
Experience wise we should maybe looking for one older head, but wages will always be the key issue for a part time club.
The Ben Tollits of this World at 27 are a big no no for me-and would be anyway due to wages.Played just over 100 competetive games in 7/8 years-what the hell has he been doing? if somebody says he's been injured then that gives you the answer surely?
We are in a cost of living crisis which could go on for months if not years-the costs of basic energy in opening up as an on going concern as a football club will be a challenge in itself,before you even come to budgets for a playing squad.

Quite rightly we have to look after our future regarding prices this next season for our younger supporters which have been addressed correctly.
For anyone else though-you can't have it both ways.Just to survive will need extra revenue.
Fact.
loyal jay
----------
----------

Post by loyal jay »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:12 am Prince Ekpolo from Guiseley would be good. Stood out a mile when we played him and I think he lives over this way.
Now signed by AFC Telford.
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

loyal jay wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:08 am
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:12 am Prince Ekpolo from Guiseley would be good. Stood out a mile when we played him and I think he lives over this way.
Now signed by AFC Telford.
Yes. Pity but prob got a good offer there. Class midfielder
hoofball
----------
----------

Post by hoofball »

Just seen Niall Cummins has left Marine. Might be worth signing him for some experience in the squad
LIAM WATSON'S YELLOW ARMY