Changes to football rules?

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
becbee
----------
----------
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:51 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by becbee »

I'm old enough to remember the days of 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw. Bringing in 3 points for a win happened because far too often, matches where teams were drawing just settled for the point each, there wasn't enough incentive to risk it. One of the best changes made to the game.

Keep the rules simple and punish the gamesmanship.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

I would either enforce or scrap the obstruction rule. The number of times you see a player deliberately cut in front of another to stop them getting to the ball, with no intention of playing it is farcical and not what I'd consider in a sporting spirit. But no officials seem to care. If I wanted to watch that I'd watch rugby....
loyal jay
----------
----------
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:09 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by loyal jay »

I think it would interesting to introduce a bonus point scheme like rugby. If a team scores 4 goals or more in a game they are rewarded a point or controversially half a point. Maybe something similar could be applied to clean sheets, but you'd want to encourage attacking football.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:10 pm I would either enforce or scrap the obstruction rule. The number of times you see a player deliberately cut in front of another to stop them getting to the ball, with no intention of playing it is farcical and not what I'd consider in a sporting spirit. But no officials seem to care. If I wanted to watch that I'd watch rugby....
They don't allow that in Rugby either!
the masked avenger
----------
----------
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:36 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by the masked avenger »

gazaprop wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:43 pm Yellow card for arguing with the referee, straight red for aggression or abusive language towards an official.
Playback at pitch side available to referee - straight red for simulation.
all of the above, but add 10 minutes in the sin-bin for any yellow card offences
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 730
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by portexileinbath »

No subs in added time
40 years a yellow
----------
----------
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:22 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by 40 years a yellow »

Physio's to be allowed on the field of play while the game is in progress. This will end that ridiculous scenario of one man lying flat out pretending to be terribly injured at one end of the pitch while play carries on at the other end of the pitch. If he is in need of treatment it'll be available to him and if he's trying to kid the ref, the ref can allow play to continue instead of having to stop the play and wave the physio on.

1 other thing that might be worth looking at is 2pm kick offs on a Saturday to minimise the use of floodlights. I imagine the cost of using them is high so anything that keeps costs down has to be worth looking at.
Ancient Mariner
----------
----------
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:34 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by Ancient Mariner »

Get rid of Offsides. Would make play much more open.
optimickstic
----------
----------
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:07 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by optimickstic »

gazaprop wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:43 pm Yellow card for arguing with the referee, straight red for aggression or abusive language towards an official.
Playback at pitch side available to referee - straight red for simulation.
are you or have you ever been a referee or linesman ? :P
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

optimickstic wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:58 pm
gazaprop wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:43 pm Yellow card for arguing with the referee, straight red for aggression or abusive language towards an official.
Playback at pitch side available to referee - straight red for simulation.
are you or have you ever been a referee or linesman ? :P
Mike up and Broadcast refs in top flight. Then we can hear it all and hopefully get a change in attitude that filters down to all levels inc grassroots (especially grassroots!)
User avatar
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by PortDan1121 »

Ancient Mariner wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:25 pm Get rid of Offsides. Would make play much more open.
Reading this thread makes me sick. Leave football alone :lol:
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 730
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by portexileinbath »

PortDan1121 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:37 pm
Ancient Mariner wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:25 pm Get rid of Offsides. Would make play much more open.
Reading this thread makes me sick. Leave football alone :lol:
........ Aren't the rules for hoofball different ?
Redrobe fan
----------
----------
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by Redrobe fan »

PortDan1121 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:37 pm
Ancient Mariner wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:25 pm Get rid of Offsides. Would make play much more open.
Reading this thread makes me sick. Leave football alone :lol:
I suppose that’s how I felt when they went to 3 points for a win, penalty shoot outs, 3 tactical subs, weird offside rules, yellow cards, etc, etc
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:45 am
Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:10 pm I would either enforce or scrap the obstruction rule. The number of times you see a player deliberately cut in front of another to stop them getting to the ball, with no intention of playing it is farcical and not what I'd consider in a sporting spirit. But no officials seem to care. If I wanted to watch that I'd watch rugby....
They don't allow that in Rugby either!
Fair point....but I'd still enforce or scrap obstruction...
Like the idea of 2pm kick offs to save floodlights. Surely a strong cost and sustainability argument for that.
Scrap VAR too. Worst invention ever....
Hillsider
----------
----------
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:24 am

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by Hillsider »

Scrap extra time. Just go straight to pens. No one wants an extra 30minutes on a Tuesday night in winter.

In the Prem I would have a space on the subs bench reserved for an English under 21 player.

Corners to be taken from inside the corner area not outside it.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:45 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:41 pm
Exiled Port Fan wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:45 am
Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:10 pm I would either enforce or scrap the obstruction rule. The number of times you see a player deliberately cut in front of another to stop them getting to the ball, with no intention of playing it is farcical and not what I'd consider in a sporting spirit. But no officials seem to care. If I wanted to watch that I'd watch rugby....
They don't allow that in Rugby either!
Fair point....but I'd still enforce or scrap obstruction...
Like the idea of 2pm kick offs to save floodlights. Surely a strong cost and sustainability argument for that.
Scrap VAR too. Worst invention ever....
VAR is not the problem, it is those trying to use it effectively.
Do we want another Hand Of God Maradona travesty?
User avatar
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by PortDan1121 »

GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:04 am
VAR is not the problem, it is those trying to use it effectively.
Do we want another Hand Of God Maradona travesty?
VAR is a problem is simply because it just isn't consistent. Half the issues are checked and half aren't even looked at. The club badge seems to get checked before the actual incident.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:45 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

PortDan1121 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:22 am
GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:04 am
VAR is not the problem, it is those trying to use it effectively.
Do we want another Hand Of God Maradona travesty?
VAR is a problem is simply because it just isn't consistent. Half the issues are checked and half aren't even looked at. The club badge seems to get checked before the actual incident.
VAR itself is totally consistent.
The interpretation is the problem.
User avatar
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by PortDan1121 »

GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:54 am
VAR itself is totally consistent.
The interpretation is the problem.
Don't agree. Only one of these was given as a pen...
They are the same incident.

Image
The Commander
----------
----------
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:26 pm

Re: Changes to football rules?

Post by The Commander »

Hillsider wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:54 pm Scrap extra time. Just go straight to pens. No one wants an extra 30minutes on a Tuesday night in winter.

In the Prem I would have a space on the subs bench reserved for an English under 21 player.

Corners to be taken from inside the corner area not outside it.
I'll second those proposals.
Post Reply