Re: Update with Liam and Ian

Post by Port on the Kent »

Are we getting new kit(s) this season?
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

Just a new kappa away kit, which we will use for 2 seasons . The home kit stays the same until May 23.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

I'm surprised we're sticking with Kappa. I assumed when a bunch of SFC/Kappa products were reduced in the club shop at the end of the season it was to make room for a new manufacturer.
SimonJ
----------
----------

Post by SimonJ »

Hopefully George is okay this season.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

I think Kappa have produced some good stuff for us. The look is strong and classic & im glad we’re sticking with them.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

SteH90 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:49 pm I think Kappa have produced some good stuff for us. The look is strong and classic & im glad we’re sticking with them.
I agree - bought back a more traditional colour of jersey too. That bright yellow Joma kit we had was an abomination. At least Kappa give us more bespoke home kits.

Looking forward to what the away kit may be. Presuming white will be back on the rota.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

it's difficult to see what's going to be different this season to last-and that's not a criticism of Ian Kyle or Liam Watson.No new major investment in the club (anybody out there-get in touch with the board as Ian Kyle says) I'm sure all offers would be welcomed and looked at.
Yes,the group of players we have ARE decent and I think will continue to gel and improve, but the same issues as last season could easily arise again-that is the demands of even more football (not to mention travelling) with a relatively small squad of players.It isn't rocket science. The clubs with the biggest squads will achieve-no question.How many times after Christmas did SFC field teams (and benches) with injured players? Too many-with Russell Benjamin being a prime example.I fully understand that SFC have to do "things our way" in order to be able to compete-but we really are up against it when you look at the competition next season.Stability has been achieved-it's now how we can improve on that? I don't have an answer to that BTW.
Goal scorers win you pots and that again will be the biggest problem.
I keep thinking that football has hit a ceiling-but there's always another club waiting to take your place...
Saddle in for a tough season.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Four relegated next season don’t forget. We can’t afford any barren runs like those at the beginning and end of last season.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:37 pm Four relegated next season don’t forget. We can’t afford any barren runs like those at the beginning and end of last season.
No, but if we have a mega run like we did in the middle of the season just gone, then we’ll stay up 🤷🏻‍♂️
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

We ended the season in relegation form. The squad is much the same. Why should I not be anxious?
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:16 pm We ended the season in relegation form. The squad is much the same. Why should I not be anxious?
Agreed.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Keeping powder dry until the full squad is clear because Liam/Ian deserve the chance to put it in place.

However I am worried, the current squad is worse than the one we started last season with because it is minus Carver and Tharme. There are a couple of players kept on that I wouldn't have bothered with, and some others who should be regarded as squad players and not in the team every week.

We need several players in key areas with some degree of experience to move us on.
PR9
----------
----------

Post by PR9 »

Port on the Kent wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:31 pm Keeping powder dry until the full squad is clear because Liam/Ian deserve the chance to put it in place.

However I am worried, the current squad is worse than the one we started last season with because it is minus Carver and Tharme. There are a couple of players kept on that I wouldn't have bothered with, and some others who should be regarded as squad players and not in the team every week.

We need several players in key areas with some degree of experience to move us on.
add into that Benjamin and Buckley-Ricketts are now gone so we are 4 down from the start of last season
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Port on the Kent wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:31 pm Keeping powder dry until the full squad is clear because Liam/Ian deserve the chance to put it in place.

I understand your concerns POTK but it’s early to be over worried. That said, the friendlies are important because if we want to alter/improve our style it’d be an idea to do so then. The results are less important but we were told that the assistant manager will have more of an influence (don’t remember exactly which after match interview Liam said it but he did!) so a variety of tactics need to be displayed.
Players will hopefully arrive I’m sure because if the management team didn’t twig last season that we need a squad of at least 20 to compete with 4 more games I’d be utterly amazed. Of course it has to all be within budget but that’s part of the difficulty of getting out of this League against wealthier opponents I suppose
Redrobe
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe »

We are not 4 players down from the beginning of last season. Yes 4 have left but we have signed 3, Walton, Carberry and the lad from Mossley (sorry can’t remember his name).
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

PR9 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:48 pm

add into that Benjamin and Buckley-Ricketts are now gone so we are 4 down from the start of last season
Have you included Evans and Carberry?
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Current squad:

Adam Anson (May 2024)
Cameron Mason (May 2024)
Charlie Munro (May 2024)
Charlie Oliver (May 2023)
Chris Doyle (May 2023)
Connor Woods (May 2024)
Declan Evans (May 2024)
Dylan Vassallo (May 2024)
Jack Bainbridge (May 2024)
Jack Doyle (May 2024)
Jordan Archer (May 2024)
Josh Hmani (May 2024)
Michael Carberry (May 2023)
Niall Watson (May 2024)
Tyler Walton (May 2023)

15 players contracted + Tony McMillan

George Newell - To prove fitness before being offered a new contract.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

It depends on who Liam brings in - we've got a decent basis of players who will keep improving, but we will be bringing maybe another four in and we need a bit of attacking quality. I wouldn't be that surprised to see a sale or two if a good offer comes in, there was a fair amount of interest last season.

There are a few names available, but it'll be interesting to see what level we're shopping at - even if we are a bit skint there's always the hope that Tommy Lawson will dig out a couple more gems.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:16 pm We ended the season in relegation form. The squad is much the same. Why should I not be anxious?
The same group with confidence had league winning form, but as they say "every silver lining has a cloud" (on Port Chat).

People may be stressing but usually we have zero squad at this time and triallists A-Z playing friendlies. This year we have a team to be moulded and tweaked, but crucially they start pre-season and we (and they) all know the squads names....