RIP Alex Russell

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Portoldie
----------
----------

Re: RIP Alex Russell

Post by Portoldie »

Certainly not forgotten that second spell yellowfever.

I was behind the goal against Hartlepool as well. Couldn’t actually see the ball hit the net but knew from the crowd reaction.

I didn’t realise he was only 31 when he left in 1975.

The best Southport player I’ve seen in all the years watching the club.

A sad week indeed.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Nice bloke one of the greats at Southport FC only met him last season he really appreciated this club RIP Alex
Sundance
----------
----------

Post by Sundance »

Can’t help but feel that Alex was Billy Bingham’s first signing for the team in the heavenly places. Those of us who engaged with Alex will testify that he was a man who delighted to talk of those great Bingham days. He and Ron Smith put them down to fitness. Billy would go to Birkdale beach and blow his whistle, players would then have to run flat out to him from Southport pier. That was for starters, It was relentless fitness. Maybe that was behind Colin Alty’s last minute goal at Ipswich who knows.I once spoke to Alex about his game and could he have played any higher. He was so humble saying no because he did not have enough pace for a more intense league.I disagreed saying magicians did not need need pace and he smiled knowingly. He was very proud of his son who I remember destroying us at home for Bath City. All of us remember Alex as the nearest to a footballing god at Haig Ave. But let us not forget he was also a husband and a dad, teammate and friend. I hope the family know we truly feel for them but we can’t stop celebrating the legacy he has left us all.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

I still havn't heard or seen any details regarding the funeral of Alex Russell?
Perhaps it's "family only" which is fine if that's the case?
If anyone on here knows details of the arrangements then perhaps they could share them?
Thanks.
Scot Sandgrounder
----------
----------

Post by Scot Sandgrounder »

I covered both Billy Bingham and Alex Russell at some length in "Golden Days", but for the oldies, here are my tributes to these two Port legends.

Thanks for the memories, guys!

https://goingtothematch.home.blog/2022/ ... y-bingham/

https://goingtothematch.home.blog/2022/ ... allelujah/

#UpthePort
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

Scot Sandgrounder wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:49 pm I covered both Billy Bingham and Alex Russell at some length in "Golden Days", but for the oldies, here are my tributes to these two Port legends.

Thanks for the memories, guys!

https://goingtothematch.home.blog/2022/ ... y-bingham/

https://goingtothematch.home.blog/2022/ ... allelujah/

#UpthePort
[/quote

Fabulous tributes and so appropriate and you should be congratulated as a true Southport supporter.

They were my heroes too!
pault
----------
----------

Post by pault »

yellowfever wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:49 pm I still havn't heard or seen any details regarding the funeral of Alex Russell?
If anyone on here knows details of the arrangements then perhaps they could share them?
Thanks.
According to the Champion, it's at West Lancs Crem, Friday 1st July at 2pm
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

pault wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:32 pm
yellowfever wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:49 pm I still havn't heard or seen any details regarding the funeral of Alex Russell?
Thanks.
According to the Champion, it's at West Lancs Crem, Friday 1st July at 2pm
Thanks for that..
yellow blue
----------
----------

Post by yellow blue »

very good send off to one off my favorate players. lots of old faces. ambi clark roger aindow dave pearson ron smith. trevor hitchen. to name a few