New Signing

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

New Signing

Post by PortDan1121 »

We did a thing.

We have signed Keenan Quansah from Stalybridge.

He is a tall right back that won supporters player of the season at Stalybridge last season.

Welcome Keenan! UTP
Sam
----------
----------

Re: New Signing

Post by Sam »

6 foot 3ish, that'll do.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Does the height suggest more of the same football? Haha
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Liamsbodyguard
----------
----------

Post by Liamsbodyguard »

Decent signing voted supporters player of the year at previous club there's a couple of clips of him on YouTube looking quite comfortable on the ball welcome to the club Keenan
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

Welcome to club Keenan. And good luck.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:34 am Does the height suggest more of the same football? Haha
Liam added “ but can also pass the ball around"

Hopefully, this signifies an improvement from Hoofball.
We can hope, maybe? :oops:
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Ticks all the boxes.

Think we just need another winger, striker and perhaps a centre mid and we’re all set.
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

Post by portexileinbath »

Ste_B wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:13 pm Ticks all the boxes.

Think we just need another winger, striker and perhaps a centre mid and we’re all set.
A little bit optimistic but I agree totally, £££££ could be a stumbling block though.
Would you settle for a Whalley, Morgan & Charles :?:
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:56 pm
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:34 am Does the height suggest more of the same football? Haha
Liam added “ but can also pass the ball around"

Hopefully, this signifies an improvement from Hoofball.
We can hope, maybe? :oops:
Hope can set us free.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

portexileinbath wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:03 pm

A little bit optimistic but I agree totally, £££££ could be a stumbling block though.
Haha I'd happily settle for any league one quality player, though I think we need a big man upfront rather than a Charles type.

We finished six points off with a depleted squad. If we replace those we lost with something better then we're in with a shot at the playoffs, though how well we can replace Carver is more key than the replacements for a one legged Russell Benjamin and Isaac Buckley-Ricketts.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

The right profile, hopefully he can be deployed in the midfield because it was too lightweight last season and he certainly adds some physicality.

Also at 25 he is one for now and not for later. With a full NPL season behind him he will be able to slide straight into the first team, providing he is good enough.

Welcome!
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

Post by portexileinbath »

Ste_B wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:16 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:03 pm

Haha I'd happily settle for any league one quality player, though I think we need a big man upfront rather than a Charles type.

We finished six points off with a depleted squad. If we replace those we lost with something better then we're in with a shot at the playoffs, though how well we can replace Carver is more key than the replacements for a one legged Russell Benjamin and Isaac Buckley-Ricketts.
Haw Haw rather than haha methinks. ? :D
old gold and black
----------
----------

Post by old gold and black »

What`s the situation with Declan Evans who we supposedly signed from Mossley with whom he stayed on loan till the season end. Welcome to the Port Keenan.
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

looks like a useful addition to the squad young enough for mcphillips to teach him to play mostly midfield the full backs were excellent last season i thought .Midfield could do with a bit of bite a bit timid to put a foot in towards the end of the season probably influenced by the match officials reactions to a fair [i thought so most times) tackle by one of our players he looks like a versatile player and hopefully can make the step up WELCOME KEENAN good luck with your new challenge :)
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

old gold and black wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:28 pm What`s the situation with Declan Evans who we supposedly signed from Mossley with whom he stayed on loan till the season end. Welcome to the Port Keenan.
Returned to us near the end of last season as Mossley’s season finished earlier than ours, but was injured so didn’t feature. As far as I’m aware he’s now with us.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Would you prefer short defenders?
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Sam wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:26 am
Would you prefer short defenders?
How short?
Portoldie
----------
----------

Post by Portoldie »

I wonder if Keenan’s got a long throw.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Welcome to the club Keenan...
Whilst I understand the flexibility required by Liam (in having a small squad) that players can play in different positions,I tire a bit when it seems constant...If you're not careful-you end up with a mish mash where the player doesn't know his best position and ends up confused-which then shows in games.Tyler Walton is a recent case in point-and I'm hoping he can nail down a certain position this season which is.....?
I'm old school, but give me a natural right back who can defend all week to someone who doesn't know his right from his left.Charlie Oliver had an excellent season at "right back" last season but I don't think he was signed as one and remember him playing really well against Chorley in midfield when Jack Bainbridge was suspended.
I just think you can push the theory too far sometimes.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

I agree about Charlie Oliver - but he had a couple of weak games at the end of the season; likewise Jack Doyle.

Signing Quansah may mean that Jack Bainbridge can stay in midfield without being called into the back line to cover for injuries.

I’m not sure about Walton’s best position…