Todays game -Blackpool FC

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
yellowfever
----------
----------

Todays game -Blackpool FC

Post by yellowfever »

It may be too late for many-but just to warn people travelling in from the Preston direction that the A565 at Tarleton traffic lights has a 4 way lights system and is causing havoc. Croston Village is also closed from two directions.
Sheer mayhem.
Mawdsley Village,Rufford,Mere Brow was my way through...
Yellow River
----------
----------

Re: Todays game -Blackpool FC

Post by Yellow River »

Just to let you know I've come across a live stream of today's match on You Tube.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

yellowfever wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:08 pm It may be too late for many-but just to warn people travelling in from the Preston direction that the A565 at Tarleton traffic lights has a 4 way lights system and is causing havoc. Croston Village is also closed from two directions.
Sheer mayhem.
Mawdsley Village,Rufford,Mere Brow was my way through...
For future reference just wait it out til the filter light into Tarleton and go round, then rejoin the A road just as the dual carriage way bit of the road begins.

Either way the queue is shorter than this beer queue…
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Southport twitter posts a tweet that Blackpool fans break through a barrier to charge at Southport fans.

About 90 comments saying it was Southport fans coming around looking for confrontation (with video evidence). When five Blackpool fans went to confront, the Southport fans ran off?

Tweet since deleted 😂.

What a mess.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:28 pm Southport twitter posts a tweet that Blackpool fans break through a barrier to charge at Southport fans.

About 90 comments saying it was Southport fans coming around looking for confrontation (with video evidence). When five Blackpool fans went to confront, the Southport fans ran off?

Tweet since deleted 😂.

What a mess.
There's plenty of videos on social media showing the incident, looks like a straight forward case of our numpties getting as close to the Blackpool fans as possible to hurl abuse at them. A handful of away fans didn't take kindly this and crossed the barrier and chucked stuff. Thankfully it all dissipated as quickly as it started.

If you are apportioning blame then our idiots are clearly the instigators by winding them up and goading the away fans. Why they felt the need to position themselves as close as possible to the barrier just to hurl abuse and gesture, I don't know. That said, they were only guilty of 'verbals'. It was some visiting fans who charged through the barrier and escalated it beyond name calling.

Not that this is an excuse, but I don't understand why the segregation barrier were two crap little temporary metal fences that can be picked up. Only ten yards further down the side in the corner we have a proper segregation gate that can be locked as it is purpose built. Nobody is getting through that. Maybe lesson learned is use that proper structure and lock it in future.

Sadly, this could be the last friendly between the sides for a while. It's been a good fixture enjoyed by both teams. Doubt it will be pencilled in next year. Such an avoidable shame.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Pre season game. Ridiculous all round. Not sure Connor Woods needed to try and jump the barrier too? He looks very irked off so he’ll think he’ll have a good reason.

Totally avoidable. Totally shameful.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
PortInTheSouth
----------
----------

Post by PortInTheSouth »

From what I've seen, embarrassing from so called "home fans" - if that's true then don't bother coming again
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Not much point in a segregation gate if it's left open.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

It's the reputational damage that's more long lasting, in the modern age the videos of the scrapping are going to be seen millions of times over and that's not hyperbole.

I've looked on Twitter and the antics have already been shared by an account which has 518,000 followers and another with 113,000 followers. It's only half five.

If you were a parent with a child thinking about coming to a match, why would you? The problem with 'going viral' is years of good PR can be obliterated in seconds.

Now shared by the Guardian Sport who have 900,000 followers with the following article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... are_btn_tw
Last edited by Port on the Kent on Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

PortInTheSouth wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:15 pm From what I've seen, embarrassing from so called "home fans" - if that's true then don't bother coming again

Which gate did they storm?

I’ve been to hundreds of games where people wind up the opposition. I haven’t been to many games where grown men stormed a gate because they couldn’t handle a bit of banter from some kids.

The blame lies with the Blackpool fans, no-one else.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

cavjj wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:32 pm
PortInTheSouth wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:15 pm From what I've seen, embarrassing from so called "home fans" - if that's true then don't bother coming again

I’ve been to hundreds of games where people wind up the opposition. I haven’t been to many games where grown men stormed a gate because they couldn’t handle a bit of banter from some kids.

Kids behaving like kids do.
Adults that should know better.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Agreed. Imagine being a grown man and jumping a gate, ploughing fist-first into a bunch of 14 year olds because they said something nasty about your football club.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Ste_B wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:05 pm Article from the Guardian online.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... are_btn_tw
They will probably blame Boris Johnson or Brexit :D
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Totally over run 1st half but we improved 2nd half & nearly scored through our new number 21, nice touch getting Tharme on for Blackpool 2nd half.
As for the "Incident" it was a joke as our youngsters were clearly taunting the Blackpool contingent behind the goal but soon took flight I hope we are not fined for this stupidity, who pays for Police presence Special Constables etc., a decent sized crowd too that should have given the club a decent pay day.......as for the Stewarding I think Everton should revue their arrangements...
PortInTheSouth
----------
----------

Post by PortInTheSouth »

If that's the case then fair enough that's on Blackpool (that's why I shouldn't comment on games I'm not at :D )
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

Kids/ fans always goad each other. Happens every game. Breaching segregation barriers is almost certainly an offence.
Calling the young fans’numpties ‘etc is inappropriate. Plenty of adults shout at football matches.( and theres plenty of old numpties in the main stand!😂)Like it or not, its tolerated but resorting to physical violence is not.
Any enquiry would find Blackpool fans at fault and Southport Fc also for not ensuring proper segregation/stewarding
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Don't agree it's as simple as that.

I have been to loads of matches where home and away fans shout abuse at each other. Part of the game, like it or not. But normally trouble in that corner happens when we are attacking the away end as some of our fans move down that side to watch.

On this occassion we were attacking the JCS and yet a group of (mainly kids but not all) deliberately ran around to the barrier to get as close as possible to the away fans to wind them up. They didn't run down that end to get a better view of the football. Abusing the away fans was their one and only aim.

Does that excuse some visiting fans pushing through the barrier? No it doesn't. But why some of our supporters had to create a toxic atmosphere in a friendly is baffling.
couille du chien
----------
----------

Post by couille du chien »

Why are you mentioning violence,it’s just some kids embarrassing themselves,they probably just wanted to pelted with sugar dummies :P