Todays game -Blackpool FC

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Swedes
----------
----------

Re: Todays game -Blackpool FC

Post by Swedes »

I'm sure if any of the lads wish to contest their ban they will be able to provide evidence they categorically did not break any of The National League's Ground Regulations. Might be a good idea of them to do so given Merseyside Police still appear to be investigating the incident, they might need the same evidence to avoid criminal charges.

There are others on here who know the law better than I do, but I think "It was all just banter", and "It wuz the Blackpool fanz" won't stand up in defence of their behaviour.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

I like the kids,the noise, chanting, ect,but the point is the incident had nothing to do with the football, the trouble maker's have no interest in the game,that's not why they go,and good that they are banned
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

I must admit to occasionally visiting Millwall FC, Crystal Palace FC, and Charlton Athletic FC. The 'banter' there directed at away fans is extremely violent, with waved fists and other gestures, often from literally thousands of fans in unison all facing, and sometimes moving en masse, towards the away fans. Charlton is generally OK.

At Millwall, the away fans walk from the station to the ground (at most a couple of hundred yards) down a sort of alley has to be heavily policed and last time I went stones and brick fragments rained down on us despite the high fences.

I think the activities of the young Port fans should be kept in perspective.
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

Id be surprised if anyones been banned just for shouting.
Id also expect Blackpool to take action against their fans whose behaviour was recorded on cctv. We watch with interest.
joebloggs
----------
----------

Post by joebloggs »

Rabbit wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:54 pm Id be surprised if anyones been banned just for shouting.
Id also expect Blackpool to take action against their fans whose behaviour was recorded on cctv. We watch with interest.
I expect they will have other things on their mind at the moment. There's supposedly up to 10,000 Rangers fans due to arrive at the weekend for their 'friendly' at Bloomfield Rd.
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

This is frustrating because the young lads have shown enthusiasm and passion for Southport - and by God have we needed that.
But, on the other hand, I was embarrassed and - at times - ashamed of them at various away days last year. Their behaviour often overstepped the mark, from being rude to stewards and opposing fans to again - at times - bordering on aggressive and disorderly.
I think they had their cards marked after the Chester debacle and have clearly failed to heed the warnings they were given.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Never get the opposing fans hating each other thing. Best part about the Brian Kettle days was the atmosphere in the clubhouse after matches…both home and away.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

siddle wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:02 pm This is frustrating because the young lads have shown enthusiasm and passion for Southport - and by God have we needed that.
But, on the other hand, I was embarrassed and - at times - ashamed of them at various away days last year. Their behaviour often overstepped the mark, from being rude to stewards and opposing fans to again - at times - bordering on aggressive and disorderly.
I think they had their cards marked after the Chester debacle and have clearly failed to heed the warnings they were given.
Although we dont know who's been banned
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Indeed, we could have banned Blackpool fans, the NL bit refers to the league our ground regs are set by....
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

There’s Ground Regulations. They should be adhered to. If they’re not you get banned. It’s simple and in my opinion, the Chairman should reiterate this before the season starts. Support the team without going overboard.
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

Its not going overboard to shout insults at opposing fans to wind them up it happens at most grounds at most matches if stewarding - crowd segregation had been better this couldnt have happened the older fans who stood their ground against the MINI Blackpool assault should not be penalised for this seemed no one was hurt in a short lived altercation i know the club has to safeguard its reputation but there are much worse fans at many clubs Blackpool fans seem to glory in this kind of thing at derby games eg Preston look at youtube if you dont agree cheers mick.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

optimickstic wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:30 am Its not going overboard to shout insults at opposing fans to wind them up it happens at most grounds at most matches if stewarding - crowd segregation had been better this couldnt have happened the older fans who stood their ground against the MINI Blackpool assault should not be penalised for this seemed no one was hurt in a short lived altercation i know the club has to safeguard its reputation but there are much worse fans at many clubs Blackpool fans seem to glory in this kind of thing at derby games eg Preston look at youtube if you dont agree cheers mick.
Insults may well be commonplace but if they involve foul and abusive language they are in contravention of the ground regulations and risk ejection/arrest/ban.
Granted most of it goes unpunished but if anyone is daft enough to be so obvious about it then they can hardly complain about the regulations being enforced.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Sand74
----------
----------

Post by Sand74 »

Who's been banned then?
Formerly known as Lurch (S.F.C)
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

optimickstic wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:30 am Its not going overboard to shout insults at opposing fans to wind them up it happens at most grounds at most matches if stewarding - crowd segregation had been better this couldnt have happened the older fans who stood their ground against the MINI Blackpool assault should not be penalised for this seemed no one was hurt in a short lived altercation i know the club has to safeguard its reputation but there are much worse fans at many clubs Blackpool fans seem to glory in this kind of thing at derby games eg Preston look at youtube if you dont agree cheers mick.
Are you serious or just a winding up "real football fans" who go to watch the game a support their team.

1 - To say no one was hurt and that it was short lived is not the point, what do you think would have happened if the Blackpool fans (or drunken thugs) had caught a couple of the kids, it could have ended up as a much more serious incident.
2 - Not only does the club have to protect it's reputation, it also has a duty to protect all the real fans who came to watch the game.
3 - Just because others are worse dosen't excuse them and of course it is not the first time that so called supporters have trashed the clubs reputation.
Any Port In A Storm
----------
----------

Post by Any Port In A Storm »

So back to the usual funerial atmosphere this season bar the odd middle aged norbert in the main stand moaning at everything or the ones who think they are hilarious shouting things at linesman that weren't funny in 1974 and still aren't. Hope the local neighbourhood watch are happy.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

Any Port In A Storm wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:52 pm So back to the usual funerial atmosphere this season bar the odd middle aged norbert in the main stand moaning at everything or the ones who think they are hilarious shouting things at linesman that weren't funny in 1974 and still aren't. Hope the local neighbourhood watch are happy.
Exactly right. The atmosphere will not be as good this season as it has been in the previous two, and having spoken to people I know that for a fact. The club keeps shooting itself in the foot, but this was the last straw. I hope everyone who believes these kids are just mindless idiots and not just children singing at a football match are very happy with themselves.
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

portexileinbath wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:58 pm
Are you serious or just a winding up "real football fans" who go to watch the game a support their team.

1 - To say no one was hurt and that it was short lived is not the point, what do you think would have happened if the Blackpool fans (or drunken thugs) had caught a couple of the kids, it could have ended up as a much more serious incident.
2 - Not only does the club have to protect it's reputation, it also has a duty to protect all the real fans who came to watch the game.
3 - Just because others are worse dosen't excuse them and of course it is not the first time that so called supporters have trashed the clubs reputation.
1- no one was hurt because it was dealt with quite well after the failure of stewarding to stop the blackpool’ fans’ kicking a barrier down to get out of the segregated away end. ( that really shd be dealt with by blackpool fc and or police)

2-‘ reputation’? As perennial also rans who are a soft touch at home at a largely silent ground with a group of old unhappy men who like to criticise the port players. Thats what Ive witnessed in over 30 years . Those ‘ mindless thugs’ are actually typically impulsive teenagers who are easily influenced and need appropriate stewarding. The ‘ incident ‘ cd have been diffused with a bit more vigilance but its easy to see with hindsight and i think the club will have learnt from it.

3- I dont recall many occasions when southport fans have run amok or similar. I may be forgetful.

The youngsters are the future of the support. Ask the players if they like the atmosphere. They cant hear armchairs fans shouting . Im sure the club won't have acted against any fans for just shouting but they have a difficult job retaining the active support and showing zero tolerance for real misbehaviour.
Its not as simple as some like to think
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

David_1276 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:57 pm
Any Port In A Storm wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:52 pm So back to the usual funerial atmosphere this season bar the odd middle aged norbert in the main stand moaning at everything or the ones who think they are hilarious shouting things at linesman that weren't funny in 1974 and still aren't. Hope the local neighbourhood watch are happy.
Exactly right. The atmosphere will not be as good this season as it has been in the previous two, and having spoken to people I know that for a fact. The club keeps shooting itself in the foot, but this was the last straw. I hope everyone who believes these kids are just mindless idiots and not just children singing at a football match are very happy with themselves.
I’d be interested to know how the club has kept shooting itself in the foot, aside from the U18 season ticket price increase?
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Rabbit & David1276.
What sort of atmosphere would there be if the club were sanctioned ?. How would new players be financed if the club are fined because that's where we would be heading if the there were any more incidents. The club had to act.
And....how has the club "shot itself in the foot ?

The loss of the fans is sad.
So would any real fans consider buying the same number of season tickets, as there are banned fans. These tickets could be given to children who deserve them, or are unable to afford one, I am sure someone can come up with an idea of how to distribute them. I would be more than happy to contribute, anyone else ?.
Because as others have said the kids are the future of the club but they need to be the right ones. Ones that want to watch the game !.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Oh and I am not an armchair fan, I get to as many games as I can, which isn't easy as the average distance I travel to each game is about 200 miles and for some strange reason the is no supporters coach to make it easier.
Please feel free to critisize my views & opinions but not my loyalty as a Port fan. Cheers