Todays game -Blackpool FC

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Re: Todays game -Blackpool FC

Post by portexileinbath »

Oh and I am not an armchair fan, I get to as many games as I can, which isn't easy as the average distance I travel to each game is about 200 miles and for some strange reason the is no supporters coach to make it easier.
Please feel free to critisize my views & opinions but not my loyalty as a Port fan. Cheers
Any Port In A Storm
----------
----------

Post by Any Port In A Storm »

portexileinbath wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:17 pm Rabbit & David1276.
What sort of atmosphere would there be if the club were sanctioned ?. How would new players be financed if the club are fined because that's where we would be heading if the there were any more incidents. The club had to act.
And....how has the club "shot itself in the foot ?

The loss of the fans is sad.
So would any real fans consider buying the same number of season tickets, as there are banned fans. These tickets could be given to children who deserve them, or are unable to afford one, I am sure someone can come up with an idea of how to distribute them. I would be more than happy to contribute, anyone else ?.
Because as others have said the kids are the future of the club but they need to be the right ones. Ones that want to watch the game !.
they need to be the right ones?! And there is a poster summed up in a few words. Define""the right ones". Public school educated? Silent and submissive? Passionless and personality free? Perhaps the club could hire you to stand by a turnstile to turn people away who "aren't our type"
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

What sort of atmosphere would there be if the club were sanctioned ?. How would new players be financed if the club are fined because that's where we would be heading if the there were any more incidents. The club had to act.

The loss of the fans is sad.
So would any real fans consider buying the same number of season tickets, as there are banned fans. These tickets could be given to children who deserve them, or are unable to afford one, I am sure someone can come up with an idea of how to distribute them. I would be more than happy to contribute, anyone else ?.
Because as others have said the kids are the future of the club but they need to be the right ones. Ones that want to watch the game !.
I cant even begin to explain why i find this so odd. It would bore me doing it and you and others reading it. Its just peculiar but it takes all sorts.
Enjoy yr port and cheese
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

portexileinbath wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:28 pm Oh and I am not an armchair fan, I get to as many games as I can, which isn't easy as the average distance I travel to each game is about 200 miles and for some strange reason the is no supporters coach to make it easier.
Please feel free to critisize my views & opinions but not my loyalty as a Port fan. Cheers
I think the point is that we are largely looking at what SFC can do to improve the fans experience and the teams performance based on support at home. Youllbe more experienced than me at away games so you can comment on our fans misbehaviour you've witnessed.
I gather you cant get to many home games from where you live but thats yr choice. Fact is that things look different from the terraces than they do from social media.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

The club shot itself in the foot by banning its future, and some of its current and loyal fans for aggravating some hooligans and by standing their ground when the hooligans charged. That's fairly straightforward I think.

As someone who has been going to 'Port religiously since I was 8, and having never done anything wrong or out of order personally, I understand your point about the "right" demographic. However, banning these kids after one small altercation does not encourage ANY others their age to come to the games as-is. Among them they probably have a sum total of about 5 games watched at the end of last season, and it's hardly a fair trial to leave gates open and horrifically stewarded, and when they think they're copying the "older guard" of fans who sing and they think it's hilarious to do so, they perhaps uttered some more provocative songs than would've been sung had the usual crowd been there at the time. However, banning them for an entire season when it is not their fault that some Blackpool fans are mindless thugs means that they will never attend Haig Avenue again, in their entire lives most likely. They go, their friends go, and eventually we're back to where we were 6 years ago- a boring set of fans and a 6000 capacity library. There's nothing wrong with sending warnings out to the alleged aggressors, telling them to buck up on their etiquette but kids make mistakes and do silly things, especially when they're at a football ground with no parental supervision in most cases.

It's absolutely 100% the fault of the Blackpool fans and our 'stewards', I don't see what the argument is here if I'm being totally honest.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:03 am
optimickstic wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:30 am Its not going overboard to shout insults at opposing fans to wind them up it happens at most grounds at most matches if stewarding - crowd segregation had been better this couldnt have happened the older fans who stood their ground against the MINI Blackpool assault should not be penalised for this seemed no one was hurt in a short lived altercation i know the club has to safeguard its reputation but there are much worse fans at many clubs Blackpool fans seem to glory in this kind of thing at derby games eg Preston look at youtube if you dont agree cheers mick.
Insults may well be commonplace but if they involve foul and abusive language they are in contravention of the ground regulations and risk ejection/arrest/ban.
Granted most of it goes unpunished but if anyone is daft enough to be so obvious about it then they can hardly complain about the regulations being enforced.
Agree about keeping behaviour decent but in my view foul and abusive language includes and needs to be led by those on and around the pitch....there'd be few left if ground rules were enforced on them and surely they are subject to ground rules too. The afc fylde manager would definitely have been out last season (& should have been in my view). Can't have rules for the elite and different one for the masses (*unless in less democratic places).
There's a delicate balance between being heavy handed/oversensitive against being so lenient that things get out of order. I've personally (not so much at southport) seen too many overzealous stewarding and policing incidents over the years...often creating more harm than the benefit it brings and getting the backs of real fans up...but on the other hand I've also seen some real violence and dangerous crushing incidents too. I do sometimes feel like the announcements made at haig avenue when an incident occurs come across as a bit 'headteacher telling us all off', when actually they only involve a few, perhaps this is not intentional or even recognised..
What I certainly don't want to lose is what makes football great...matchday atmosphere, including back and forward sometimes mildly abusive banter and insult between fans....
and yes poor linesmen and referees need to be told to get to specsavers, rather than the world being ruled by video robots at Stockley Park...
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

Agree with the last post but when the ref [liners]-opposing manager ex players money grabbing opposition players are all disgraceful and should be ashamed and get stick from the same fan for the entire game we may get the wrong end of some close decisions by the officials.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

optimickstic wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:10 am Agree with the last post but when the ref [liners]-opposing manager ex players money grabbing opposition players are all disgraceful and should be ashamed and get stick from the same fan for the entire game we may get the wrong end of some close decisions by the officials.
Yes understand and think that giving ref/liners stick can go either way. They either dig heels in and get worse or act to stop things like time wasting.

The real issue I suppose I'm raising in my post is that if ground rules are being applied to ban people it has to be done consistently. You can't have fans banned for one thing then allow someone like the fylde manager ( a supposed role model) to carry on as he did both on the touchline and from the stand.
There were a couple of times I cringed last season (especially at away games) at some of the older members of our singing group and thought they came across as embarrassing (to themselves) idiots, but on the whole I positively welcome the support of that group. Let's just hope qny bans were applied to those really annoying ones not excitable kids.
I wasn't there for the incident v blackpool but viewing it on social media it does appear to have been disproportionately responded to against other similar incidents you see at football and in any boozy high street. There is a balance to be struck between overreaction and dealing with things effectively and quietly in an almost unobserved manner.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Football will always be disproportionately treated and incidents such as the Euro 2020(21) final don't help (even if many of those involved in that wouldn't know a football ground if they fell over it).

But anyone who had had the misfortune of being on York Station after race day knows Football fans get a rougher ride.

Given we don't know who has been banned or for what; perhaps now and on here is not the time to castigate a section of our support and diagnose all their actions.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:47 am Given we don't know who has been banned or for what; perhaps now and on here is not the time to castigate a section of our support and diagnose all their actions.
Most sensible thing said in this thread. The club will have their reasons to ban and I back they've made the right decision.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Rls
----------
----------

Post by Rls »

This thread has shown up some of our “supporters” in their true light.

Wanting the “right sort” of people and objecting to a crude song or 2… If your delicate ears can’t deal with a few profanities and a bit of opposition goading are you entirely sure that football is the right sport for you, flower? You’d be better off stopping at home and pleasuring yourself over the latest faux outrage in the Daily Mail/Telegraph.

From what I can gather , and apologies if I’m wrong, but none of this would have been an issue if the gate at the away end of the Pop(u)lar Side had been closed? Have the club apologised for the total lack of forethought in leaving that open and unlocked? Nope - instead they have sought to vilify their own fans and abrogate any responsibility.
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

Rls wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:48 am This thread has shown up some of our “supporters” in their true light.

Wanting the “right sort” of people and objecting to a crude song or 2… If your delicate ears can’t deal with a few profanities and a bit of opposition goading are you entirely sure that football is the right sport for you, flower? You’d be better off stopping at home and pleasuring yourself over the latest faux outrage in the Daily Mail/Telegraph.

From what I can gather , and apologies if I’m wrong, but none of this would have been an issue if the gate at the away end of the Pop(u)lar Side had been closed? Have the club apologised for the total lack of forethought in leaving that open and unlocked? Nope - instead they have sought to vilify their own fans and abrogate any responsibility.
Apologies accepted. Gate was closed . Blackpool fans kicked the barriers at the side open to get access. Yr last sentence is also wrong. Agree with first para .
Rls
----------
----------

Post by Rls »

My apologies then, I was led to believe the main gate was open and there was only a temporary one part way along the side, and it was this temporary one that was ‘charged’. Still questions as to what the stewards were doing , but if the main gate had been locked I’ll wind my neck in :lol:

Rabbit wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:50 pm
Rls wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:48 am This thread has shown up some of our “supporters” in their true light.

Apologies accepted. Gate was closed . Blackpool fans kicked the barriers at the side open to get access. Yr last sentence is also wrong. Agree with first para .
haigavel
----------
----------

Post by haigavel »

Wanting the “right sort” of people
We should send our strikers to finishing school.
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
portexileinbath
----------
----------

The right sort of fan is one that is not a disgrace to the club, who sticks to the law and ground regulations etc and from my experience that accounts for about 99% of the Port fans I have met.

I have made almost no comment on "crude songs or profanities.
Yes I am sure football is the right sport for me, I have been a Port fan for over 50 years.

The Times (it has by far the best crosswords), not the Telegraph or Mail. I would like to read the Mirror but I don't think it's available in the south west :D
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Apologies accepted. Gate was closed . Blackpool fans kicked the barriers at the side open to get access.
Which barriers at the side do you mean? Is it the small gates in the pitchside fence?
Regardless, the home fans remained on the home terrace and it was Blackpool fans who moved to where they were not permitted. Any confrontation would have remained purely verbal with a gap of at least 20 yards between home and away fans had Blackpool fans not left the away end.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

haigavel wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:45 pm Wanting the “right sort” of people
We should send our strikers to finishing school.
Our strikers are on picketing training courses this week.
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:46 pm

Apologies accepted. Gate was closed . Blackpool fans kicked the barriers at the side open to get access.
Which barriers at the side do you mean? Is it the small gates in the pitchside fence?
Regardless, the home fans remained on the home terrace and it was Blackpool fans who moved to where they were not permitted. Any confrontation would have remained purely verbal with a gap of at least 20 yards between home and away fans had Blackpool fans not left the away end.
Gawd! I think this subject is pretty much done to death but as you ask; This is My understanding from being there on the day and at the ground since then.

The black double gates at the end of the pop side were bolted. There is a gap between them and the toilet block which was /is blocked by steel mesh barriers about 7 ft high.( There are similar barriers the other side of the toilets preventing access between pop side and away end).
The Blackpool fans gained access to the pop side by kicking the two mesh barriers between black gates and toilets and came onto the pop side:
There were some small 4 ft high moveable barriers at the end, one of which was picked up by one or other sets of fans( most of the southport fans having run back) and there was some shoving back and forth briefly with that barrier before order was restored by stewards and then other staff from both teams coming over.

Of course, any determined effort by fans to access opposing fans would be pretty much unstoppable if they chose to go over the low wall/ fence around the pitch but if that was the case , it d be a much more serious scenario .

Again, as i see it,the few Blackpool fans who acted as they did , worked out that they cd ‘ front up’ the largely young group of port fans whod gone closer to chant at them /provoke or whatever you choose to call it. My personal view is that the actions of the Blackpool fans who entered the pop side was seriously wrong and possibly an offence( im not an expert on the football offences act).
The southport fans may have been ill advised and irresponsible to chant whatever they did but it happens all the time at matches to one degree or another without resulting in physical conflict fortunately.

Sharper stewarding on both sides may have prevented the situation but that's with hindsight.

If any port fans engaged in ‘physical contact ‘with Blackpool fans they may find themselves facing the consequences ( and hopefully Blackpool fans as well)

These are all my personal opinions based on what im aware of but i do think the club have taken a measured and careful approach to responding and are aware of a need to ensure clear messages about behaviour are given whilst still maintaining the positive support thats being given to the team .
As i say; my personal opinions.
Perhaps its time to close this discussion?😀
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Excellent post Rabbit-and thanks for clarifying exactly what happened on the day.

I was under the impression that the main gate was "open" which it clearly wasn't BUT was also unaware that Blackpool fans had kicked down the steel mesh barriers along side the main gate and gained entry into the popular side.

I hope all Southport FC fans read this.

I've given my opinion on this matter earlier in this thread.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

PS I hope that Blackpool FC will be sent the bill for repairs/replacing the damaged steel mesh barriers.