Todays game -Blackpool FC

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Re: Todays game -Blackpool FC

Post by portexileinbath »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:35 pm
issy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:38 am I can't believe that the Club has not issued a statement about the events at the match. Do they condone the behaviour of the Southport supporters? What action are they taking to ensure this does not happen again?
The disturbing thing is that some of our own condone it, there were about 1400 there Saturday it doesn't augur well for the more important games which will bring larger attendance...
Well said.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

A very poor statement issued by the club. No condemning the behaviour, why ?
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Whole things was totally unavoidable for a friendly. No one has come out of this well.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

portexileinbath wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:21 pm A very poor statement issued by the club. No condemning the behaviour, why ?
I’m thinking it’s a non-committal statement as it’s being looked into by Merseyside police. After, the investigation has been concluded & any action taken I’d expect a further statement.
Pirate Jim
----------
----------

Post by Pirate Jim »

I really think the police have advised the club on the wording and sentiment of the statement. Basically the police want to investigate further before the club release a further statement. We must not criticise the club at this stage.
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

Please how did we play against Blackpool? You'd think their had been a riot? This has been blown out of all proportion nobody has been hurt, Handbags at 10 paces let's learn from it and move on.
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

SteH90 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:53 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:21 pm A very poor statement issued by the club. No condemning the behaviour, why ?
I’m thinking it’s a non-committal statement as it’s being looked into by Merseyside police. After, the investigation has been concluded & any action taken I’d expect a further statement.
Indeed. Gathering the facts properly and going through the proper channels and procedures before making public statements.
As opposed to jumping to conclusions and over reacting, like some.
Taking a considered thoughtful and measured approach is usually the best approach.
Its rather a big step to judge that as ‘ condoning ‘ anything
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Poor stewarding is ultimately responsible for this episode-which would and should have been avoided if they had been organised.Many things have improved at SFC under Ian Kyle-sadly not the stewarding which has had several issues in the past.Hence because they couldn't do their job properly-Merseyside Police had to be called-which shouldn't have been neccessay.

I presume these are the same set of stwards who were partly responsible for allowing the pitch invasion at Goodison Park at the end of last season? A Premier League game where Crystal Palace Manager Patrick Vierra was assaulted on the pitch by an Everton fan?
Have I missed the penalty for Everton for these incidents?

Blackpool fans(as many clubs do) have a hooligan element within their support-as footage from their home game against PNE last season shows.Surely when SFC arranges these games our stewarding should be aware of that?

Why was the main corner gate not locked?

We've played countless big games at Haig Avenue at Conference level in the past and never had a problem-why has this suddenly become an issue?

This needs a measured and sensible responce from SFC and not some OTT knee jerk reaction.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

What about the game? The new players? The trialists? The catering?
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

portexileinbath wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:02 pm
issy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:38 am I can't believe that the Club has not issued a statement about the events at the match. Do they condone the behaviour of the Southport supporters? What action are they taking to ensure this does not happen again?
Spot on Issy.
The "kids" knew exactly what they were doing, trying to provoke trouble and they very nearly succeded. Their actions are going to cost the club, not only because of the bad publicity generated but also from increased Police & stewarding costs.
Some of the people who are saying " nothing to see here" seem to be the same ones who bemoan the lack of spending on players, there will be less cash available after this episode and as for creating a good atmosphere,, is toxic a good atmosphere ?.
Well, "a good atmosphere" certainly wouldn't be achieved without these kids whether you like it or not. If you agree with the reaction of a select few Blackpool fans to those kids then that more reflects your own strange sense of morality than that of the kids.

Nothing to see here.
Swedes
----------
----------

Post by Swedes »

The stewards are not responsible for a group of our fans making a conscious decision to walk to the far end of the ground to wind up visiting fans. They're not really responsible for the use of an unsecured metal fence as part of a segregation barrier either.

Ultimately, once it is no longer a police matter, the club need to look at both of these things. This group of fans have (quite rightly) received praise for their support of the team, yet when their behaviour has been out of order (smoke bombs at Chester, ripping off an advertising board at Chorley) the club seem to turn a blind eye and do nothing about it. It's no wonder it's come to this, they probably think they can get away with anything.

It's also interesting how these incidents happen when we're losing or not really in a game against the opposition. It's as though the lads can only support us when we're doing ok, but soon change if we're not.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Rabbit wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:44 pm
bob_dave_bacon wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:39 pm Merseyside police statement....BBC news article..... :lol: :lol:

What a joke!

A couple of fat lads having an argument with some kids and the world is in uproar.

Move on. Nothing to see here.
Brilliant👍😂
Wasn't there but considering the scale of the incident it does seem to be being blown out of all proportion and giving the media in particular a free feeding day..
Surely the best way forward is to.learn lessons quietly about quiet (not bullying) control of fans and to make adjustments. All needed without overly punishing all southport or blackpool fans.
Meanwhile there are more important things in the world like a war in Ukraine and dealing with covid to be focused on..
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

yellowfever wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:07 pm
I presume these are the same set of stwards who were partly responsible for allowing the pitch invasion at Goodison Park at the end of last season?
Correct. But find me any set of stewards (and a whole police force) that can stop 20,000 people storming a football pitch at full time
A Premier League game where Crystal Palace Manager Patrick Vierra was assaulted on the pitch by an Everton fan?
If I remember correctly wasnt he the one that tried to kick out a fan, nobody touched him?
Wasnt there a pitch invasion when City won the league? As well as Nottingham Forest getting to the playoff final? Even Gateshead fans stormed the pitch when they won the league. As well as York fans invading when they won the play off finals.

0 fines/penalties for any of them, so why you picking on Everton?
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

[quote="Redrobe fan" post_id=14209 time=165695421
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

optimickstic wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:55 pm [quote="Redrobe fan" post_id=14209 time=165695421
Re the game we played ok first ten minutes then under heavy pressure rear guard action desperate clearances some short and in the air their players were very good and due to Cams excellent keeping and some near misses by Blackpool we made it to half time only 2-0 down .Many changes eleven for them and we played better against this team put some pressure on got a few corners but didnt really threaten until near the end Quansah looks a good signing also Bell who was lively but hard to judge in this kind of game two trialists used in last few minutes .Catering good but not as in demand as usual no qeues not so with the sole bar open in home end but staff coped admirably.
Last edited by optimickstic on Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Swedes wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:22 pm The stewards are not responsible for a group of our fans making a conscious decision to walk to the far end of the ground to wind up visiting fans. They're not really responsible for the use of an unsecured metal fence as part of a segregation barrier either.

Ultimately, once it is no longer a police matter, the club need to look at both of these things. This group of fans have (quite rightly) received praise for their support of the team, yet when their behaviour has been out of order (smoke bombs at Chester, ripping off an advertising board at Chorley) the club seem to turn a blind eye and do nothing about it. It's no wonder it's come to this, they probably think they can get away with anything.

It's also interesting how these incidents happen when we're losing or not really in a game against the opposition. It's as though the lads can only support us when we're doing ok, but soon change if we're not.
Spot on.

As others have said, shame we aren't all talking about the game, how the trialists did and how well Doug T played second half.
I can't wait to see the fixture list on Wedbesday. Optimism is running high, fot a good season, with the added bonus for all us down south, Banbury.
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

portexileinbath wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:18 am
Swedes wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:22 pm The stewards are not responsible for a group of our fans making a conscious decision to walk to the far end of the ground to wind up visiting fans. They're not really responsible for the use of an unsecured metal fence as part of a segregation barrier either.

Spot on.

As others have said, shame we aren't all talking about the game, how the trialists did and how well Doug T played second half.
I can't wait to see the fixture list on Wedbesday. Optimism is running high, fot a good season, with the added bonus for all us down south, Banbury.
Actually , no , wrong on most points but i really cant be bothered to go over it all again other than to say , why dont you wait and see what happens when things are followed through. Theres nothing to be gained by knee jerk reactions. Despite criticisms of ‘ the club’ , SFC are doing the right thing , the right way in the tight time scale.

I thought Quansah and Evans looked very competent and Bell showed promise but will be better to judge against our level opposition. Two trialists didnt stand out much.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

PortDan1121 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:21 pm
I presume these are the same set of stwards who were partly responsible for allowing the pitch invasion at Goodison Park at the end of last season?
Correct. But find me any set of stewards (and a whole police force) that can stop 20,000 people storming a football pitch at full time
A Premier League game where Crystal Palace Manager Patrick Vierra was assaulted on the pitch by an Everton fan?
If I remember correctly wasnt he the one that tried to kick out a fan, nobody touched him?
Wasnt there a pitch invasion when City won the league? As well as Nottingham Forest getting to the playoff final? Even Gateshead fans stormed the pitch when they won the league. As well as York fans invading when they won the play off finals.

0 fines/penalties for any of them, so why you picking on Everton?
Inadequate stewarding by Everton stewards-end of...

There isn't a "level playing field" of punishment on incidents at fooball-fact... Pitch invasions,assaults on players and officials and the one that drives me mad-flares...How many flares are regularly let off at games in the Premier league and EFL and yet it's seemingly accepted?
When any kind of incident at SFC happens-it's headline news-and I'll repeat that Saturday's episode should have been headed off by any steward worth their name.It annoys me intensely.

Going away slightly from the above-and "treatment" of clubs.Last season it was reported all over the local media of
a SFC player being racially abused at York City,very much at the time inferring heavily that this had come from a Southport fan after the team's away defeat.Some weeks later a York youth was apprehended over the incident-and yet where was the follow up story in our local Champion to report this development? It never happened-and so locals who don't follow SFC closely are left with the impression that the club has racists as well in it's fan base.It makes me sick..It's all one way...

A measured response required from SFC please-although Everton stewards will be looking to save their "reputation".
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

I don’t recall there being a suggestion that the racist abuse at York was from a Port fan, yellowfever, but I agree that incidents such as this are publicised when they happen then hardly mentioned when someone is caught for it. This was how York Press covered it at the time
https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/19639 ... feat-york/
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

SteH90 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:42 pm I don’t recall there being a suggestion that the racist abuse at York was from a Port fan, yellowfever, but I agree that incidents such as this are publicised when they happen then hardly mentioned when someone is caught for it. This was how York Press covered it at the time
https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/19639 ... feat-york/
The arrest was also reported locally
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... d-21924250
https://www.otsnews.co.uk/teenager-arre ... fc-player/
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.