Todays game -Blackpool FC

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Re: Todays game -Blackpool FC

Post by cavjj »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:24 pm
SteH90 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:42 pm I don’t recall there being a suggestion that the racist abuse at York was from a Port fan, yellowfever, but I agree that incidents such as this are publicised when they happen then hardly mentioned when someone is caught for it. This was how York Press covered it at the time
https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/19639 ... feat-york/
The arrest was also reported locally
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... d-21924250
https://www.otsnews.co.uk/teenager-arre ... fc-player/
Also page 3 of the Champion - 27th Oct 2021. I'm not sure they posted a version of the individual story online. If they did I can't find it.
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

Good grief you get the champion. Thought it had stopped.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

I note from both the Echo & OTS pieces that a photo of Haig Avenue was used so can see where yellowfever got the suggestion by papers that it was a Port fan - apologies for not knowing that before I commented. Surely as the incident either happened at York’s stadium, or what happened there inspired the social media posts, a photo of their ground and not ours should have been used? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Or just no photo?
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Redrobe fan wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:03 pm What about the game? The new players? The trialists? The catering?
It seemed to be a bit harsh on the trialists to bring them on so late in the game. I can understand bringing on a super sub to try and get a late goal, or a back to bolster the defences, for the last few minutes but as a trialist only having a few minutes hardly gives them a chance to show what they can do, or to make any assessment of them.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

There are numerous friendlies for the trialists to impress , ease them in to big up their confidence , not like you to be so negative have you been eating danish blue rather than a nice bit of Wensleydale cheese lad . Get yourself a large port and lighten up for the first proper fixture away to ????? Blyth is my prediction 🤩
portexileinbath
----------
----------

TrickyDicky wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:34 pm There are numerous friendlies for the trialists to impress , ease them in to big up their confidence , not like you to be so negative have you been eating danish blue rather than a nice bit of Wensleydale cheese lad . Get yourself a large port and lighten up for the first proper fixture away to ????? Blyth is my prediction 🤩
Fair comment about trialists. I am sure LW & T mc know what they are doing, just seemed a bit short to me.
Danish blue, now you are talking, but i am also a great believer in diversity, so, cheddar, St Agur, Stilton and of course Double Gloucester, where I hope we will open the season with a comfortable win and plenty of Taylors 20 year old.

As to my optimism for the coming season, it is at an unusually high level. I think i can smell National League on the breeze.
Isn't it good to be talking about football again !
haigavel
----------
----------

Post by haigavel »

SteH90 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:56 pm I note from both the Echo & OTS pieces that a photo of Haig Avenue was used so can see where yellowfever got the suggestion by papers that it was a Port fan - apologies for not knowing that before I commented. Surely as the incident either happened at York’s stadium, or what happened there inspired the social media posts, a photo of their ground and not ours should have been used? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Or just no photo?
Blackpool are using a similar ploy by playing this week's friendly vs Leeds at York's LNER ground. Something about groundworks at Elland Rd and connection with Leeds' U23's but not convinced.
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
redcat

Post by redcat »

yellowfever wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:07 pm Poor stewarding is ultimately responsible for this episode-which would and should have been avoided if they had been organised.Many things have improved at SFC under Ian Kyle-sadly not the stewarding which has had several issues in the past.Hence because they couldn't do their job properly-Merseyside Police had to be called-which shouldn't have been neccessay.

I presume these are the same set of stwards who were partly responsible for allowing the pitch invasion at Goodison Park at the end of last season? A Premier League game where Crystal Palace Manager Patrick Vierra was assaulted on the pitch by an Everton fan?
Have I missed the penalty for Everton for these incidents?

Blackpool fans(as many clubs do) have a hooligan element within their support-as footage from their home game against PNE last season shows.Surely when SFC arranges these games our stewarding should be aware of that?

Why was the main corner gate not locked?

We've played countless big games at Haig Avenue at Conference level in the past and never had a problem-why has this suddenly become an issue?

This needs a measured and sensible responce from SFC and not some OTT knee jerk reaction.
If we back before we had stewards from Everton, the private company before them, we had our own volunteer stewards. The segregation gate was locked, with a steward on poplar side. Due to position of old toilets there was no way through.

The youngsters would have 3 stewards in front of JCS. 3 stewards along popular. It doesn't take brain of Britian to work out what the suddenmove was for. The singing g and chanting had been quite tormenting from both supporters. We are happy to call this banter and atmosphere and support.

I don't know if the stewards we get from Everton, work the same place, therfore you get to know your group of supporters. The hope is then you pre empty what may go on.

As someone involved in stewarding in the past, who enjoyed it, getting to know supporters, the spot they stand or sit in. Seeing what happened at the Blackpool match filled me with great saddles. This should be great club for family. I had one son a ball boy, the other became a steward alongside me.

Of course two sides in this, we may have started things, then Blackpool retaliated, the temporary metal railings being no barrier.

I hope as we reflect on the incident in the cold light of day, that we remember, we have come to watch a game of football, have an enjoyable 90mins and a sociable drink in the bar with away supporters.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

As someone who is nearly always an "away" fan when I watch Port, i couldn't agree more with the final paragraph, above and the nice thing is, there are some very friendly places we visit. For my money Leamington takes some beating. Even their shuttle bus to the train station is a friendly chatty place when they have lost ***** (5 stars)
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

I hate to talk about the incident rather than the game, Redcat, but 'we' didnt 'start things'. However silly and juvenile, there is nothing unusual about singing songs or otherwise goading the opposition and their fans. It happens at almost every game, at almost every ground, every week, without reaction - other than the same in the opposite direction.

Breaking down barriers (however portable) and violent and threatening behavior is very different and certainly criminal.

I hope that the Blackpool thugs are brought to justice and are banned from their ground as well as ours as well as receiving criminal sanctions. There is good video evidence, so hopefully this will happen soon.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

portexileinbath wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:28 am As someone who is nearly always an "away" fan when I watch Port, i couldn't agree more with the final paragraph, above and the nice thing is, there are some very friendly places we visit. For my money Leamington takes some beating. Even their shuttle bus to the train station is a friendly chatty place when they have lost ***** (5 stars)
I couldn't have wished for a better venue for the final game of the season. A good place to celebrate promotion at :shock:
joebloggs
----------
----------

Post by joebloggs »

SOUTHPORT FOOTBALL CLUB STATEMENT – 12 JULY 2022
Following the statement which the Club issued on 4 July arising out of inappropriate behaviour by a minority of fans during the recent pre-season friendly against Blackpool, and after consultation with Merseyside Police, the Club can confirm that it has today had cause regrettably to issue Club / stadium bans to a number of individuals, their behaviour having been considered in breach of The National League’s Ground Regulations. We will continue to assist Merseyside Police in their investigations into the incident.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Our fans or theirs?
Any Port In A Storm
----------
----------

Post by Any Port In A Storm »

The Mary Whitehouse Experience in the South West will be highly delighted. Seems harsh to dish out club bans for what it was. How many tanked up lard arses from Blackpool will be getting match bans from their club? Somewhere between zero and nil would be my guess. Nobody under 40, no cheering, no naughty words and classical music over the tannoy would probably be best.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Any Port In A Storm wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:56 pm The Mary Whitehouse Experience in the South West will be highly delighted. Seems harsh to dish out club bans for what it was. How many tanked up lard arses from Blackpool will be getting match bans from their club? Somewhere between zero and nil would be my guess. Nobody under 40, no cheering, no naughty words and classical music over the tannoy would probably be best.
....and I thought blinkers were only used by race horses at Ascot & Epsom.

The "tanked up lard arses" who reacted in the way they did to the blatant provocation should be in court and the instigators banned from the ground... Simple.

Well done SFC.
PR9
----------
----------

Post by PR9 »

portexileinbath wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:24 pm
Any Port In A Storm wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:56 pm The Mary Whitehouse Experience in the South West will be highly delighted. Seems harsh to dish out club bans for what it was. How many tanked up lard arses from Blackpool will be getting match bans from their club? Somewhere between zero and nil would be my guess. Nobody under 40, no cheering, no naughty words and classical music over the tannoy would probably be best.

The "tanked up lard arses" who reacted in the way they did to the blatant provocation should be in court and the instigators banned from the ground... Simple.

Well done SFC.
Blatant Provocation??? You do know its a football match right and fans chant songs at each other?? So lets just get rid of those who go home and away most weeks. The way you go on you would be happy to sit in silence
Any Port In A Storm
----------
----------

portexileinbath wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:24 pm

Well done SFC.
one reaction from someone in attendance one from someone nowhere to be seen. Mmm. I'm guessing you've never been top of anyone's list to go for a pint with? Shopping for cheeseboards with the local dogooders more your bag.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

The banned fans may not be ours.
PR9
----------
----------

Post by PR9 »

Redrobe fan wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:28 pm The banned fans may not be ours.
They are
Any Port In A Storm
----------
----------

Let's hope nobody cheered and upset the locals when the last minute penalty went in tonight