Fixture release 22/23

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Re: Fixture release 22/23

Post by portexileinbath »

David_1276 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:33 pm Hopefully we'll get another 3 or 4 recruits in who are either a) talented unknown quantities who have been released and are trying to build their way back up the ladder or just build from the bottom in the first place (see Bainbridge, Oliver, J. Doyle, Woods, Mason etc..) Or b) some players who know the level, and have 'been there and done that' for some even more much needed experience since Benjamin left. Ideally 2 experienced midfielders, 1 youngish full back who can play both sides, and one winger who can also play in the midfield or up front. I think that, added to the current crop (though we will woe about releasing IBR in my opinion) could yield at least a top 7 finish and then the playoffs are always a lottery.
Great idea to bring in more players but how do the club pay for them...... Perhaps a swear jar would help the coffers ;)
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

I doubt we’ll see any more than one or two newcomers at this stage (preferably a winger), and don’t think there’s any need to start the season with any more than 20 players, especially if we can stay injury-free.

We can hopefully add someone meaningful to the team later in the season if/when needed.

I think we tired at the end of last season but with Newell, Benjamin and Lynch all missing for the first half of the season we practically started with 16.5 (as Edwards could only play every other game).
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Spot on. No reason to have a half decent player sat on the bench for half the season when he isn't needed, much better to have a decent player for half a season when he is needed. Seems like a no brainer to me.