Lancaster City

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Lancaster City

Post by Port on the Kent »

It was a decent runout and a competitve game with 17 players getting at least a full half, with the exception of Nyal Bell who picked up a knock in the first half.

Match decided by a last minute penalty, it looked soft truth be told, Niall was tripped off the ball but there didn't look too much in it.

We started 5-3-2 which may be our preferred system, it yielded our best run of form last season. Bell and Newell were up front with Walton in the middle of the three with Munro and Bainbridge either side. The versatile Quansah played on the right side of a back three with Doyle and Anson, while Carberry and Oliver were the wing backs. Archer came on for Bell towards the end of the half.

We had some good spells in the first half and put some lovely moves together. Carberry is ideally suited to that wing back position and gives us real width as he pins his full back right up the pitch more so than J Doyle. The midfield moved the ball and Bell looked handy with his back to goal. Walton worked hard but was wasteful, his final shot/delivery wasn't there yet.

Second half we brought on Woods, Niall, Hmami, Vassallo and J Doyle and we ended 4-4-2 after Lancaster went down to ten through injury.

Standouts were probably the back five. Quansah fitted in nicely, Carberry gives us natural shape and the rest did everything asked of them. The hosts were limited to one chance in the second half when Cam tipped smartly over.

We didn't carry much threat and it's clear that we need time for partnerships to develop up front. We saw with the Carver/Archer duo how effective a proper front two working together can be. Tonight we had all sorts of combos; Bell and Newell, Archer and Newell, Archer and Watson, Woods joined in. It's a shame Archer and Bell didn't have some minutes together at that may well be our best option. Not a criticism it takes time to foster understandings, but our forward players didn't have much cohesion aganst a Lancaster team who defend well.

All in all it was perfectly watchable.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Re: Lancaster City

Post by portexileinbath »

Excellent summing up as ever POTK. Much appreciated.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Thanks for the report.

It seems that Liam will have some tough decisions to make.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

The best 11 in my book

Mason
Quansah Evans Anson Carberry
Woods Bainbridge Munro Walton
Bell Archer
A good all round squad looks like its developing but I can't see Newell being part of the set up good bench Watson Vassallo the 2 Doyles Oliver Tony Mc plus 2 more additions.....?
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Hmami
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Redrobe fan wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:00 pmHmami
Ah yes, :oops: 1 more addition maybe??
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

Nice to get the first goal and win hope their the first of many hopefully the Tranmere game will be a close contest and Bell knock is just that .Maybe Newell will gain form with matches played if he is part of the squad we need to use him no loan spells please . Got to be a better season start results wise than last one good job we have so many pre season games as long as it doesnt cost us with injuries cheers mick.
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:51 pm The best 11 in my book

Mason
Quansah Evans Anson Carberry
Woods Bainbridge Munro Walton
Bell Archer
A good all round squad looks like its developing but I can't see Newell being part of the set up good bench Watson Vassallo the 2 Doyles Oliver Tony Mc plus 2 more additions.....?
For me its

Mason
Quansah Doyle Anson Carberry
Bainbridge Hmami
Woods Walton Watson
Archer

Maybe Munro for Hmami not too sure.
I still believe we only have 2 natural wingers, Woods and Watson. Walton and Hmami are not wingers. Walton is a number 10.

Could definitely do with another winger and possibly another CF. We have cover in each position apart from on the wing. George really has to prove himself for me or we will get a bit stuck if Archer gets injured or isn't firing on all cylinders once the season starts.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

You wouldn’t pick Bell?
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

Redrobe fan wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:33 pm You wouldn’t pick Bell?
I may have slightly forgotten we signed him... been a long summer lol
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

A hard season awaiting all NLN sides thanks for the report I haven't been to the Giant Axe since 1978/79.
Middle table or upper middle would be fair as make no mistake this will be a tough division this season with 4 going down.
Good luck you sandgrounders