Southport v Marine

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
tonyhey
----------
----------

Southport v Marine

Post by tonyhey »

Given that Tuesday is going to be scorching, would it not be prudent to put the game back 24 hours, primarily for player safety? Another consideration should be that with the blistering heat, the gate, and ultimately much needed revenue is likely to be low. Given that we’re playing Marine, it wouldn’t cause major disruption travel wise, an may well enhance the gate.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Re: Southport v Marine

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Temperature is forecast to be down to around 22 degrees by kick off time.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

tonyhey wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:15 am Given that Tuesday is going to be scorching, would it not be prudent to put the game back 24 hours, primarily for player safety? Another consideration should be that with the blistering heat, the gate, and ultimately much needed revenue is likely to be low. Given that we’re playing Marine, it wouldn’t cause major disruption travel wise, an may well enhance the gate.
Simple answer - No

It’s quite a tight turnaround for SFC. For example to get kits cleaned. They’ve already scheduled the game for Tuesday; it’s too short notice to change it, people may have booked off work for it or booked travel etc. Moving the fixture would cause more inconvenience than it’s worth.

It’s also forecast to be warmer on Monday evening than Tuesday evening anyway. Wednesday is cooler yeah but still quite hot.
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

Feel for the players in the heat wave .With water breaks as yesterday hopefully they wont be too badly affected and can be subbed immediately if they are feeling it, probably would be better not to play maybe rearrange the game for a later date but its only 3 weeks to kick off and 4 games to fit in i would give Archer a rest after he bravely carried on yesterday with plugged nostrils. Cotton wool for him too pre season as we are very short in the striker department.
Marsh Harrier
----------
----------

Post by Marsh Harrier »

Perfect opportunity to keep the ball, see how many passes we can string together and make the opposition chase and do the work. I'm not optimistic that this will happen.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Marsh Harrier wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:49 pm Perfect opportunity to keep the ball, see how many passes we can string together and make the opposition chase and do the work. I'm not optimistic that this will happen.
Someone's been in the sun today :lol:
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

You can't particularly judge the two home games against EFL opposition so far (maybe Lancaster City) but the reliance on Connor Woods and Niall Watson to supply is a bit samey-not always forthcoming,and I think we should be trying a different formation or two,even if it isn't used straight away.Maybe a Josh Hmami or a Jack Bainbridge playing behind the striker(s)? Why not try this in the friendlies? Archer and Bell I reckon will score goals-but they need service and I havn't seen anything yet that will change my mind about that.Lets give opposition defences something else to think about?
We're a bit predictable and need to maximise some of the talent we have at our disposal.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

I think we will start the season with 5-3-2 being the favoured shape, that was our most successful formation last season and we played it at Lancaster.

However playing with three central midfielders and two strikers means that Woods and Watson suffer because there is no place for them. They are either on the bench or out of position. I think if Woods had a full season playing as a proper number seven in a 4-4-2 he would excel, but we can't accomodate him.

I would expect us to start the season:

Mason
Oliver Quansah Doyle Anson Carberry
Bainbridge Hmami Munro
Archer Bell

McMillan
Doyle
Evans (injured?)
Vassallo
Walton
Woods
Watson
Newell

I expect us to change to a four when we are chasing matches and that's when Woods and Watson will be introduced.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

Port on the Kent wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:20 pm I think we will start the season with 5-3-2 being the favoured shape, that was our most successful formation last season and we played it at Lancaster.

However playing with three central midfielders and two strikers means that Woods and Watson suffer because there is no place for them. They are either on the bench or out of position. I think if Woods had a full season playing as a proper number seven in a 4-4-2 he would excel, but we can't accomodate him.

I would expect us to start the season:

Mason
Oliver Quansah Doyle Anson Carberry
Bainbridge Hmami Munro
Archer Bell

McMillan
Doyle
Evans (injured?)
Vassallo
Walton
Woods
Watson
Newell

I expect us to change to a four when we are chasing matches and that's when Woods and Watson will be introduced.
For me Oliver is a decent squad player whose distribution Is poor and man marking isn’t consistently up to the quality of a play off chasing side and the midfield is far too lightweight when most of the games are attritional , so it’s Jack Doyle for me and of course we still need someone with tenacity and guile in the middle hey don’t all sides, but we’ve been crying out for this for a few seasons now. It seems to me 5 at the back is a compensation for not having the right balance of players in midfield , it’s a negative approach technically imo; a fit on form Hmami though is a key factor in the mix as we really missed his early season form at the business end.
just saying all opinions matter👍
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

yellowfever wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:52 pm You can't particularly judge the two home games against EFL opposition so far (maybe Lancaster City) but the reliance on Connor Woods and Niall Watson to supply is a bit samey-not always forthcoming,and I think we should be trying a different formation or two,even if it isn't used straight away.Maybe a Josh Hmami or a Jack Bainbridge playing behind the striker(s)? Why not try this in the friendlies? Archer and Bell I reckon will score goals-but they need service and I havn't seen anything yet that will change my mind about that.Lets give opposition defences something else to think about?
We're a bit predictable and need to maximise some of the talent we have at our disposal.
Spot on YF predictable would be mildly put....
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

Many posters are selecting Archer and Bell as the strike force, (with which I agree), but as far as I can recall, they have never been selected together, since Bell arrived
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

Glad it’s cooled down a lot than since earlier. Still quite warm but not as warm as this time yesterday. Tshirt weather without being unbearable
haigavel
----------
----------

Post by haigavel »

Here in SoCal waiting for the Marine layer to kick in.
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Good News 3 nil Final.......Bell C Doyle Newell
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

Well done good to see Geogre Newell scoring
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Any feedback on the game and the configuration and performance of the players?
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

Good to get a second win and two of the strikers scoring and a near miss for Jordan against a team only one league lower still early days but coming together .
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

I don't think we learned anything that we didn't already know from last night's game.Some good minutes put into players with rotation as you would expect.
A forgettable first half with an improved second.I'm not one for having a go at individuals and certainly won't with pre season matches.
The most striking issue of the night for me was the none appearance of Declan Evans-again.
Signed as the replacement for Doug Tharme, Declan suffered an "injury" whilst still playing back at Mossley on loan,but it's pretty obvious that no one wants to say how bad the injury was?
I think I'm right in saying that he played an hour against Blackpool and hasn't played since with the "story" being he's now "injured" again?
With the season starting 2 weeks on Saturday,Declan (through no fault of his own I know) is missing pre season training which I hope we all know by now-isn't good with a demanding season in prospect?
It can't help but concern supporters-me anyway...
Portoldie
----------
----------

Post by Portoldie »

Declan Evans came on as substitute after an hour against Blackpool, so has only played for half an hour in 4 games.
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

I defo saw someone in a Southport tracksuit last night with a cast on their leg. I was a distance away so I didn't know who it was but it could have been Declan.