Audio coverage

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Audio coverage

Post by Gloucester man »

I ask as usual but am sure of the answer are we having any match day coverage this season or is relying on the other clubs as usual?
kiaken
----------
----------

Re: Audio coverage

Post by kiaken »

Think you have answered your own question.
port4ever
----------
----------

Post by port4ever »

The Twitter coverage is absolutely shocking.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

port4ever wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:16 am The Twitter coverage is absolutely shocking.
By design. Ian mentions he'd rather people come to the games, which harks back to Charlie hating us from having live scores on the website because Ron Ellis would use it for the champion reports instead of turning up.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

port4ever wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:16 am The Twitter coverage is absolutely shocking.
Needs investment, or at least a sponsor to allow a professional to get coverage even on par with the majority in the NLN. I must add the occasional match day coverage is okay, I understand it depends on what volunteers are available.

i.e. Chorley, Spennymoor & Chester have media sponsors which allows for their excellent coverage and marketing of their clubs, not just match days but throughout the week to advertise facility hire to hospitality and everything in between, which will again be beneficial to the Football Club.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Sam wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:44 am
By design. Ian mentions he'd rather people come to the games, which harks back to Charlie hating us from having live scores on the website because Ron Ellis would use it for the champion reports instead of turning up.
Arguably better marketing will get more people to games.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Haha is that true?!
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

Roday1878 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:56 am
Needs investment, or at least a sponsor to allow a professional to get coverage even on par with the majority in the NLN. I must add the occasional match day coverage is okay, I understand it depends on what volunteers are available.

i.e. Chorley, Spennymoor & Chester have media sponsors which allows for their excellent coverage and marketing of their clubs, not just match days but throughout the week to advertise facility hire to hospitality and everything in between, which will again be beneficial to the Football Club.
Leamington,Blyth,Banbury all have it hardly that expensive if they can afford it? Typical Southport FC
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

What ever happened to Ron Ellis?

Here’s hoping he’s well; wherever he is.
PortInTheSouth
----------
----------

Post by PortInTheSouth »

Audio coverage would always be a difficult thing to do due to connection, equipment, etc... So fair play to any club that can get it up and running (believe Southport did trial it a few times though) - more than happy to volunteer to do some audio coverage but suspect that wouldn't be such a good idea considering how biased it would be :D
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

Ste_B wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:14 am What ever happened to Ron Ellis?

Here’s hoping he’s well; wherever he is.
He's apparently still working in journalism in his latest photo he's starting to look like Fred Dineage!
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

Everything at this surrounding the social media and match coverage is done by volunteers. It will never be good as a full-time club like York which has a whole media team on their books that all get paid a good wage.

So my question is if you think the coverage is that "shocking" and you want a radio live stream, why not come forward and offer to lend a hand? Personally, I agree with the initiative of 0 radio coverage, I do believe fewer people will go to the games. For away games it can be quite difficult to set up a radio stream, you can have no signal and without a internet connection. Also for the best radio streams, you have to spend a fair bit of money on microphones and a decent mixer. The money can used better imo.
port4ever
----------
----------

Post by port4ever »

Well I was looking at it purely from an exile point of view. I live in Spain, lots of supporters are living out of town. Do the powers that be seriously think that supporters would rather watch Twitter or live updates, rather than attend a game!
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

port4ever wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:13 pm

Well I was looking at it purely from an exile point of view. I live in Spain, lots of supporters are living out of town. Do the powers that be seriously think that supporters would rather watch Twitter or live updates, rather than attend a game!
But I don't think you could really do it where the coverage is only streamed outside of the UK. I think you might get a few listeners but you'll struggle to get over 50. Will it be truly worthwhile?
And I guarantee if you do a livestream for people outside of the UK only you will get lots of exiled UK Port fans moaning also
Swedes
----------
----------

Post by Swedes »

I think it would be interesting if any potential full match commentary came only with a membership or season ticket package, or for a match fee, and it exiles (like myself) would stump up for it?

I appreciate other clubs either have their own commentary (possibly supported by sponsorship), or run by local BBC Radio (of which ours barely acknowledge our existence), and both are free to air, so charging for commentary almost seems wrong. Maybe it could be done for games where no other commentary is likely?
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:09 am
Haha is that true?!
Having done the "Matchday Live" for about 4 years, that wasn't my experience with Charlie at all.
Churchtown Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

port4ever wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:13 pm
Do the powers that be seriously think that supporters would rather watch Twitter or live updates, rather than attend a game!
If we were at home on a rainy Tuesday night v Blyth (other clubs are available), then I could well believe free radio coverage would knock a fair few off the attendance. A subscription service may be another (Brian) kettle of fish altogether.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Why does the BBC not cover our home games when BC local radio covers other clubs at our leve?
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

Post by portexileinbath »

There is a very simple answer to the problems us exiles in the south & south west suffer and it isn't greater media coverage, it's promotion back into the National league (or above). Is it too much to ask ?.
One thing that would be nice, is videao clips being put on youtube rather than twitter.... Would love to see The saves & our goal against Tranmere.
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

PortDan1121 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:12 pm Everything at this surrounding the social media and match coverage is done by volunteers. It will never be good as a full-time club like York which has a whole media team on their books that all get paid a good wage.

So my question is if you think the coverage is that "shocking" and you want a radio live stream, why not come forward and offer to lend a hand? Personally, I agree with the initiative of 0 radio coverage, I do believe fewer people will go to the games. For away games it can be quite difficult to set up a radio stream, you can have no signal and without a internet connection. Also for the best radio streams, you have to spend a fair bit of money on microphones and a decent mixer. The money can used better imo.
Oh yes and bugger anyone who doesn't live locally or has to work? If Leamington, Blyth and Banbury can do it it says alot about how the club views its supporters.
It's always too much trouble ,Always an excuse not to do it.