Audio coverage

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Re: Audio coverage

Post by cavjj »

Gloucester man wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:59 pm
PortDan1121 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:12 pm Everything at this surrounding the social media and match coverage is done by volunteers. It will never be good as a full-time club like York which has a whole media team on their books that all get paid a good wage.

So my question is if you think the coverage is that "shocking" and you want a radio live stream, why not come forward and offer to lend a hand? Personally, I agree with the initiative of 0 radio coverage, I do believe fewer people will go to the games. For away games it can be quite difficult to set up a radio stream, you can have no signal and without a internet connection. Also for the best radio streams, you have to spend a fair bit of money on microphones and a decent mixer. The money can used better imo.
Oh yes and bugger anyone who doesn't live locally or has to work? If Leamington, Blyth and Banbury can do it it says alot about how the club views its supporters.
It's always too much trouble ,Always an excuse not to do it.
I think this is massively unfair to both the club and the media team.

Commentary is a difficult logistical challenge, particularly for a media team of volunteers. It carries significant cost. You've cited three clubs who do it; now list those who don't. There's a reason, and it's not because they're all saying "sod our exiled supporters" as you suggest.

On an away day the team has to cover Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, write a match report, update the website, keep stats, (all while trying to watch the game...), take photos, interview the manager and upload it. Often from a cramped press bench with no wifi and spotty phone signal. To add commentary to that is a massive ask.

Though, I'm not against club-run commentary at all. I don't believe commentary harms a gate to a noticeable extent, and coverage *is* a valuable resource for exiles. But I don't agree that not offering commentary is indicative of a lack of effort or ability or care.
PR9
----------
----------

Post by PR9 »

The other thing to note out of 23 away games this season all but 8 are with 100 miles radius of the club. We need support!!!
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

As an exile, I would love there to be a paywall commentary of home games. I'd gladly pay - as I suppose away fans would.
It's surely something to club could liaise with journo students at LJMU/UCLAN or elsewhere to provide.
PR9
----------
----------

Post by PR9 »

Again you have to weigh it against reducing home numbers and that right there is where the club get a large portion of its revenue. Sadly I don't believe behind a paywall is where it is but numbers through the turnstiles, club shop spending and money behind the bar etc
David999
----------
----------

Post by David999 »

Agree that the local bbc station should do it but there too busy covering Chester ( not even in Merseyside )
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

PR9 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:54 pm The other thing to note out of 23 away games this season all but 8 are with 100 miles radius of the club. We need support!!!
Us exiles in the south & west will do our best to bolster the support, for the games that are 100+ miles from Haig ave Banbury's only about 60 miles, luxuary !

I disagree about the need for on line commentary, for me it would be nice as an exile who can't get to home games but it would certainly decrease the numbers through the gate and that is the most important thing. What we all need to do, is get off the sofa, out of the pub, or whatever and go to whatever games you can. . :idea:
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

The BBC coverage is lacking, I've found that how much exposure clubs at our level are given on that platform depends on the number of teams in that catchment area. For example, Telford get full in depth coverage but that's because BBC Shropshire have only got them and Shrewsbury to worry about. Same with BBC Hereford & Worcester - they cover Kiddy and Hereford properly.

Compare this with that amount of teams covered by the likes of BBC Lancashire... Preston, Burnely, Blackburn, Blackpool, Accrington, Morecambe, Fleetwood, Fylde....

I don't think Radio Merseyside have this excuse though. I don't think Liverpool, Everton, Tranmere being the only teams above us in the pyramid is comparable. They could be doing more. Then there is the second issue, which is their main non-league correspondent is a die hard Chester fan, so we always come off second best there.

I have heard different initiatives about the club looking at providing their own independent coverage, they should't have to. I understand that if we had commentary via BBC radio it would still be our volunteers manning the microphones, but they could provide the tech and equipment at least.