Re: Bootle (A)

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Our new striker Bell Carried off on a stretcher......0-0 ht
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

We’re due an interview with Liam after the game so should get an update on Bell and Evans, and maybe Newell.
PR9
----------
----------

Post by PR9 »

So didn't see Liam at the game. George is on holiday abroad. Bell dislocated his knee cap. Oh and we scored from the only shot on target

Still looking for positivies
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Thanks PR9.

Dislocated knee cap - usually 2-3 months out.

Depends on damage to associated tissue.
PR9
----------
----------

Post by PR9 »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:49 pm Thanks PR9.

Apparently already had surgery on the knee previously
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

PR9 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:41 pm So didn't see Liam at the game. George is on holiday abroad. Bell dislocated his knee cap. Oh and we scored from the only shot on target

Still looking for positivies
Here we go again..
Make no mistake that's a serious injury for a big burly lad who I think we were all hoping was going to help our goal threat.So with 2 weeks to go to kick off-SFC are already playing "catch up" with players injured that will affect selection.
If this season wasn't already looking a long hard slog-it's certainly got a whole lot harder.I just can't get my head around the misfortune that seems to follow this club around.Self inflicted nonsense admittedly the other week but now this...
Wow....
Falkland yellow
----------
----------

Post by Falkland yellow »

We dominated the play and threat in the 2nd half. But still hoof ball from the back, bypassing the midfield when attacking. Do our midfield have largely a defensive role?

Next time there is an interview with either Liam or Terry can we ask questions about our game plan and tactics?

1. During the prematch warmup our players practise close intense passing and moving - possession football. Yet when we play, that goes out of the window. So besides being used as a warmup - what are the players being coached to do?

2. What is the game plan for defence and attack? Are players told and coached to play long balls from defence to attack? Is the midfield's role to close people down - prioritising defence over attack.

I.e. is what we are seeing on the pitch the players fulfilling the plan and following instructions of how they are being coached to play?

Our no.11 trialist looked good on the ball and when wide on left easily beat his man to cross. However in the same way as we saw with IBR he lacked physical presence or positional sense when being asked to defend. But good skill and quick feet - not sure if that alone will make him an SFC player.
PR9
----------
----------

Post by PR9 »

Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Terry Mac confirming George Newell has left. Someone is going to have to explain to me, very slowly, why we paid someones wages for two years when they were out injured or on loan, and then let them go when they were fit and are getting a good pre-season in.

Potentially long term injuries to Evans and Bell.

I make make that 15 fit outfield players plus Tony Mac. Two weeks to sort this mess out or we will be having the same frustrations again.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Where was Liam?
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

If Newell has a good season in the league below, it seems to me we’ll see him back at Southport next summer. It does make sense, even with Bell injured today…don’t think Terry Mac was too bothered about his injury today.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Falkland yellow wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:11 pm
Next time there is an interview with either Liam or Terry can we ask questions about our game plan and tactics?

1. During the prematch warmup our players practise close intense passing and moving - possession football. Yet when we play, that goes out of the window. So besides being used as a warmup - what are the players being coached to do?

2. What is the game plan for defence and attack? Are players told and coached to play long balls from defence to attack? Is the midfield's role to close people down - prioritising defence over attack.

I.e. is what we are seeing on the pitch the players fulfilling the plan and following instructions of how they are being coached to play?
Answers
1. Get it into the ‘right’ areas.
2. Get it into the ‘right’ areas.

I’m being sarcastic but that’s the game plan. Liam said at the end of last season we would look to play more possession football and Terry Mc would have a hand in that but little seems to have changed. Of course, friendlies mean nothing other than fitness & getting minutes in but if we were going to play more football surely we’d use preseason to try it out. The only passes I see in our half are rolled back to defenders to hit long balls, the players aren’t encouraged to play on our half they have to get it forward & even the keeper is used to get it into the right areas. Midfield does work hard to close down and win the ball back but will often then roll it back to a defender who’ll launch it into areas where we’re outnumbered (often 1 striker v 4 defenders). The midfield is largely defensive - watch what happens when opponents have the ball in their half. We will funnel back until all but the striker are in our half. Again, this limits what we can do as there’s no out ball and those games where opponents play around us have become regular occurrences at Haig Avenue.
I’m resigned to it now, it doesn’t change, this is how we play but it puts a large strain on fitness for a part time club (as mentioned above we’re likely to not have 16 players starting the season after finishing the last one with 12 or 13 fit players & iMO these players can play possession more.
I’d hope we’d mix it up more & retain parts of our tactics which work (the long throw isn’t pretty but does create opportunities) & ditch those that don’t (giving away the ball so regularly via long passes that we see matches at home where we have 30% possession - if you give opponents 70% they will get more chances to score). Doing one thing all the time is easy for modern day coaches with full time players in bigger squads to combat. It’s just where we are as a club I’m afraid.
Sorry to be so depressing!
Last edited by SteH90 on Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

I think the club have correctly stood by George since his career threatening injury, and I’m happy that my small contribution has gone towards paying his wages. Any club that puts someone in the garbage after a traumatic injury is not a club worth supporting for me , it sends out a message of fair mindedness and care towards current and prospective personnel and cant be measured in pound coins . Clearly, his progress has not been as hoped hence we’ve parted ways fairly and amicably which for me is the proper way of conducting yourself, sometimes it’s not all about winning at all costs.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Sounds as if this season will be a very difficult one with a very limited squad, extra games, unchanged tactics and four relegation places.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

TrickyDicky wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:16 pm I think the club have correctly stood by George since his career threatening injury, and I’m happy that my small contribution has gone towards paying his wages. Any club that puts someone in the garbage after a traumatic injury is not a club worth supporting for me , it sends out a message of fair mindedness and care towards current and prospective personnel and cant be measured in pound coins . Clearly, his progress has not been as hoped hence we’ve parted ways fairly and amicably which for me is the proper way of conducting yourself, sometimes it’s not all about winning at all costs.
If he had left at the end of the season that would have been more normal, but to get him fit and playing (and scoring) during pre-season just to get rid two weeks before the season, when we can barely fill a bench as it is, is most unusual and doesn't fill you with much hope that there was a plan.

Liam has said in multiple interviews that "George has a big future" at Southport and has backed him throughout. Now he's off four days after scoring. Something doesn't add up.

Could well be more to it that we aren't privy to of course.
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

Already seems like long season. Just hoping for a little good news sometime soon.
Dewsnip
----------
----------

Post by Dewsnip »

If it’s long ball again this season, I probably won’t bother. I haven’t been to any pre season so far for various reasons, but the news we aren’t trying to play ‘football’ in the friendlies is depressing
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

Sadly had one when playing for St Ives RU it can take 2/= months worst scenario.
Alot of our Forwards ducked out of preseason games on hard/firm pitches too many injuries just like this one sadly.
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

Gloucester man wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:38 pm

Sadly had one when playing for St Ives RU it can take 2/4 months worst scenario.
Alot of our Forwards ducked out of preseason games on hard/firm pitches too many injuries just like this one sadly.