Away coaches.

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
PhilCaven

Away coaches.

Post by PhilCaven »

Hi I was just wondering if anyone knows what is happening about the coaches to away matches for this coming season? I'm getting a bit worried as the new season starts a week on Saturday and nothing yet has been done about it.
Gilbert69
----------
----------

Re: Away coaches.

Post by Gilbert69 »

Myself dan and rich have been trying to find alternative coach companies but unfortunately they either want far too much due to rising petrol costs or refuse to take football fans .
Perhaps the club could try and convince a local company however I wouldn't hold my breathe .
PortInTheSouth
----------
----------

Post by PortInTheSouth »

Yeah very unfortunate with what's happened after all the effort that was put in last season. Do feel the club should be doing more to help with the coaches though - should be very high priority imo
PhilCaven

Post by PhilCaven »

Gilbert69 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:15 pm Myself dan and rich have been trying to find alternative coach companies but unfortunately they either want far too much due to rising petrol costs or refuse to take football fans .
Perhaps the club could try and convince a local company however I wouldn't hold my breathe .
I have found this very useful website after doing some research where you can get quotes from different coach companies in your local area on prices for private hire. Hope this helps? https://www.coachhirecomparison.co.uk/
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

Gilbert69 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:15 pm Myself dan and rich have been trying to find alternative coach companies but unfortunately they either want far too much due to rising petrol costs or refuse to take football fans .
You did a great job last season saw the coaches at games. Sadly I won't hold my breath expecting any help from the club they never have and I doubt ever will.
New years day 1978 2 sandgrounders were stuck in Aldershot we got a point 0-0. It was one the supporters club didn't run a coach they asked the club coach if they could help prior to KO and were refused point blank.
A bit of pure luck one of the spotted us going in to the ground and asked for help? How we got them in I'm not sure but we got them as far as the Morris Dancers in Scarisbrick late that evening. They had a girlfriend waiting in a car lol
Puskas will tell you they didn't run a bus for that one and we bought 5 programmes back for the shop.
Neil did you go?
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

Gloucester man wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:54 pm
You did a great job last season saw the coaches at games. Sadly I wouldn't hold my breath expecting any help from the club they never have and I doubt ever will.
New years day 1978 2 sandgrounders were stuck in Aldershot we got a point 0-0. It was one the supporters club didn't run a coach they asked the club coach if they could help prior to KO and were refused point blank.
A bit of pure luck one of the spotted us going in to the ground and asked for help? How we got them in I'm not sure but we got them as far as the Morris Dancers in Scarisbrick late that evening. They had a girlfriend waiting in a car lol
Puskas will tell you they didn't run a bus for that one and we bought 5 programmes back for the shop.
Neil did you go?
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

You did a great job last season saw the coaches at games. Sadly I wouldn't hold my breath expecting any help from the club they never have and I doubt ever will.
A bit of pure luck one of them the spotted us going in to the ground and asked for help? How we got them in I'm not sure but we got them as far as the Morris Dancers in Scarisbrick late that evening. They had a girlfriend waiting in a car lol
Neil did you go?
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Gloucester man wrote: Sadly I won't hold my breath expecting any help from the club they never have and I doubt ever will.
Is there some sort of SFC constitution that deems this sort of attitude to be permanent despite several changes of chairman and board?
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

If you haven’t already, do try Maghull Coaches
puskas
----------
----------

Post by puskas »

Gloucester man wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:00 pm
A bit of pure luck one of them the spotted us going in to the ground and asked for help? How we got them in I'm not sure but we got them as far as the Morris Dancers in Scarisbrick late that evening. They had a girlfriend waiting in a car lol
Neil did you go?
Hello;

I missed two games all season home and away, Aldershot and Swansea, I had been to Aldershot the season before, I managed a game at the Vetch Field back in the late 1980's when I was working in South Wales. . . Some of the trips required some real creativity that season. . Don caster midweek I arrived via the train without any lift back and the train home would only get me to Manchester, but luckily got a lift back in the back of Dave Bulman's Unipart van. . . Newport we did on a group train ticket, Southend we set off at midnight and broke down at Haydock, got to Liverpool and caught an early morning train to London. . I drove to Hartlepool midweek (I had passed my test the week before). . Watford last day was another group train ticket. . Interesting times. . We had had coaches earlier in the season for Wimbledon, Reading and Brentford. . Plus of course the annual drunken weekend in Bournemouth. . It was always a struggle to get sufficient numbers for a coach in 1977/78.
From the Shores of the River Ribble
To the Banks of Fine Janes Brook
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

PhilCaven wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:49 pm
I have found this very useful website after doing some research where you can get quotes from different coach companies in your local area on prices for private hire. Hope this helps? https://www.coachhirecomparison.co.uk/
Phil they wanted over £2,000 to take 25 people to Boston. Not feasible.

Ive tried literally every company in the area. A lot dont want to do it and those that do want to do it want an unfeasible amount of money in order to do it. I will keep trying throughout the season but we are at a bit of a dead end at the moment.
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

Roday1878 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:30 pm
If you haven’t already, do try Maghull Coaches
They dont want to do it. Ive tried them pal.

They dont take on "that sort of work"
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

To summarise -

Don Fraser decided to pull of doing coach travel this season. We were the first set of football fans they took on and it was a trial for them to see if they liked it. I think it was a good earner for them but getting bricked at Chorley made them very wary and worried they were going to lose more glass.

The insurance didn't pay out on the window - DF had to fork out to replace it. Also that bus was off the road for a week also.
The kid who threw the brick was 14 and was banned for life from Chorley Football Club. But yet it happened. He was found guilty but because he was a kid in the care I believe, got away with it. His social workers kept coming round to DF begging them to drop the charges, I think overall they'd just had enough.

Its back to that main reason why no coach firm wants to do football fans, why do football fans and have a risk of a bus getting smashed up and having to deal with the thug aspect when they can probs earn more money taking for example cruise passengers or old people on a walking group.

As I said I have asked a lot of companies in the North West if they were willing to take us but they either said no or were far out of our price range. The lowest price I got for Boston was £56 a head which was based on 40 people traveling. We don't usually get 40 people sadly. For Boston last season we just ran a minibus.

I would say there were around 15 core members that will go away every week and then you have to rely on floaters who come the occasional times to fill the bus which just isn't enough. You rely on the games such as boxing day and Chester where the bus is filled to make money in order to be able to supplement other buses. We managed it last season and only missed one game, Darlington on a Tuesday night, for this fixture we got everyone that wanted to go to go in cars instead by carpooling.

Hopefully, somebody else comes forward to me and wants to take fans to games at a feasible price. I do feel people might feel let down by their being no buses, so I apologise and it annoys me as well as now I have difficulty also getting to away games.
pault
----------
----------

Post by pault »

I seem to recall that in our early non-league days supporters used to travel on the players' coach - I never went but I don't think I dreamt it!
Last edited by pault on Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

When James was here he tried but only couple of games, in mini bus.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

Thanks very much Dan for all your hard work last season and all your tremendous efforts to get the show on the road this season.

I think that inflation, cost of fuel for operators and supporters rising home costs may well have had a further impact on numbers as well making it very difficult to sustain notwithstanding a willing coach operator. I can’t imagine that football attendances generally won’t suffer some pain either from the worsening economic situation.
Hopefully , we’ll still get our most avid supporters attending away games and looks like I’ll be renewing my senior rail card again 👴🏼🤣🤣 , but will miss the Coach experience and excellent value and convenience it offered😔
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

PortDan1121 wrote:
The insurance didn't pay out on the window - DF had to fork out to replace it. Also that bus was off the road for a week also.
The kid who threw the brick was 14 and was banned for life from Chorley Football Club. But yet it happened. He was found guilty but because he was a kid in the care I believe, got away with it. His social workers kept coming round to DF begging them to drop the charges, I think overall they'd just had enough.

Sounds like a great care system when a 14 year old is throwing bricks at coaches outside a pub. I take it the social workers weren't offering DF compensation for damage and lost income in return for dropping charges.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

PortDan1121 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:54 am
PhilCaven wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:49 pm
Phil they wanted over £2,000 to take 25 people to Boston. Not feasible.

Ive tried literally every company in the area. A lot dont want to do it and those that do want to do it want an unfeasible amount of money in order to do it. I will keep trying throughout the season but we are at a bit of a dead end at the moment.
That’s ridiculous. I can’t make Boston next week, but I am planning to make as many away games as possible. There’s room in the car for three passengers for a contribution to the running costs. No hooligans or piss heads though.
PortInTheSouth
----------
----------

Post by PortInTheSouth »

TrickyDicky wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:26 pm Thanks very much Dan for all your hard work last season and all your tremendous efforts to get the show on the road this season.

I think that inflation, cost of fuel for operators and supporters rising home costs may well have had a further impact on numbers as well making it very difficult to sustain notwithstanding a willing coach operator. I can’t imagine that football attendances generally won’t suffer some pain either from the worsening economic situation.
Hopefully , we’ll still get our most avid supporters attending away games and looks like I’ll be renewing my senior rail card again 👴🏼🤣🤣 , but will miss the Coach experience and excellent value and convenience it offered😔
Well said
Redrobe
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe »

I think there was just one season that fans were allowed to travel on the players coach, it was after the Hall brothers took over and John Johnson became manager. We would stop at a pub on the way back from the North Rast and Bridlington. The players and fans sang there hearts out with Rick Malone, a real character, performing his party piece. Legs together, elbows bent etc. It was on the Bridlington trip that I tempted a friend to switch from lager to real ale. Immediately prior to this era a handful of fans kept the club running after Walter Giller walked out. It was possible that we were allowed on the players coach them but I just can’t remember.