Transfer Rumours

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
SteH90
----------
----------

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by SteH90 »

Or we’re just not an attractive proposition due to the level we play at, wages (it was mentioned recently that players can get more in the NPL) or just the style?
Last edited by SteH90 on Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlankPort
----------
----------

Post by BlankPort »

SteH90 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:57 pm Or we’re just not an attractive proposition due to the level we play at, wages (it was mentioned recently that players can get more in the NOL) or just the style?
Imagine pitching to a player the opportunity to join a club which isn't going anywhere, even if it could be seen as a stepping stone. You want to be battling for promotion or in a club which is going through a period of change and development.

I am unsure if there was anyone in the fold but I'm sure Liam or Ian will come out and say there was, we will never know.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

QAnonchat
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

BlankPort wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:57 pm
SteH90 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:57 pm
Jonny Smith wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:54 am We havent signed anyone because we probably are not in for anyone. Liam would be happy if we had a squad of eleven players.

Have you ever thought we may not be in for any players at all? As each player that we supposedly we go in for falls through its prob BS and just an excuse.
Or we’re just not an attractive proposition due to the level we play at, wages (it was mentioned recently that players can get more in the NOL) or just the style?
Imagine pitching to a player the opportunity to join a club which isn't going anywhere, even if it could be seen as a stepping stone. You want to be battling for promotion or in a club which is going through a period of change and development.

I am unsure if there was anyone in the fold but I'm sure Liam or Ian will come out and say there was, we will never know.
I think selling on to League clubs and contacts is a selling point but whether that’s benefitting us long term I’m not so sure.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

There doesn’t seem to be much urgency in this search. While I’m as nostalgic as the next man, I’m also not particularly excited by the idea of a ‘former favourite’. This either means someone we previously discarded as not worth keeping, or someone we sold but has failed to step up to the standard expected.
Just hope we can fill the bench with fit players today.
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:27 am There doesn’t seem to be much urgency in this search. While I’m as nostalgic as the next man, I’m also not particularly excited by the idea of a ‘former favourite’. This either means someone we previously discarded as not worth keeping, or someone we sold but has failed to step up to the standard expected.
This is absolutely bang on. No urgency No urgency No urgency. I never thought I would say it but the clapham era was incredible compared to the current situation which shows how far we have fallen. To not be able to fill a bench with fit players is extremely unprofessional as a club.

Fans will not tolerate this for much longer.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:27 am There doesn’t seem to be much urgency in this search. While I’m as nostalgic as the next man, I’m also not particularly excited by the idea of a ‘former favourite’. This either means someone we previously discarded as not worth keeping, or someone we sold but has failed to step up to the standard expected.
Would you not have Marcus Carver back?
Sandgrounder3
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder3 »

He’s earning £1,000 a week at least
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

How would someone discarded as not worth keeping fall into the former favourite category?
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Jonny Smith wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:39 am
This is absolutely bang on. No urgency No urgency No urgency. I never thought I would say it but the clapham era was incredible compared to the current situation which shows how far we have fallen. To not be able to fill a bench with fit players is extremely unprofessional as a club.

Fans will not tolerate this for much longer.
How many subs were allowed on the bench in the clapham era?
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Pirate Jim
----------
----------

Post by Pirate Jim »

I think 3. But at least they were all reasonably fit. This is a shambles.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

‘Former favourite’ means absolutely nothing in this context. It’s what Rob writes in visitors’ notes about a player who turned out for us a few times.
Marcus? If he was in the state of mind he was last Autumn, yes. But having uprooted his family but failed to succeed in his last chance at league football, he must be disillusioned and fed up.
Football success for players, who all have skills beyond most of us who ever kicked a ball, is about what’s in your head.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Jonny Smith wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:39 am Fans will not tolerate this for much longer.
It is going to reach a breaking point.
Redrobe
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe »

I was hoping it might be Dave Morgan. He seems to have disappeared at Accy, not even on the bench. He might have a serious injury but I can’t find anything out on Google.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

I wonder how much it costs to have the floodlights on during a match? Given how much my unit charged has increased since the end of last season I shudder to think what a midweek evening or a winter 3pm kick off will cost now. Maybe we should ask for noon kick offs now?

Some people on here are living in a dream world if they don't think our board are thinking about this as much as results. We need to survive this winter, and then see where we are at.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

2pm or 2.15 kickoffs on winter Saturdays- as we used to do in the late 50s before floodlights and I think we did briefly in the 70s during power cuts. Makes sense.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:37 pm I wonder how much it costs to have the floodlights on during a match? Given how much my unit charged has increased since the end of last season I shudder to think what a midweek evening or a winter 3pm kick off will cost now. Maybe we should ask for noon kick offs now?

Some people on here are living in a dream world if they don't think our board are thinking about this as much as results. We need to survive this winter, and then see where we are at.
Can’t remember which but permission has been given in some of the lower leagues for early kickoffs to save on the energy bills.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

I really think this is necessary not just at our level but in the EFL as well.
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

Post by portexileinbath »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:08 pm I really think this is necessary not just at our level but in the EFL as well.
Totally agree with you on this one. I think a few teams will be struggling come the new year.