Banbury 3-1 Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Redrobe
----------
----------

Re: Banbury 3-1 Southport - Match Thread

Post by Redrobe »

Yes. If we are not playing a match we are training anyway. I suppose at least the two midweek matches in December are away so the burden of the extra energy costs won’t fall on us.
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

Post by portexileinbath »

Having given all the chance to comment on my posts, I will now reply and relate "my day at Banbury FC".
The 5 train round trip was good, no delays etc, nice easy amble to the ground, very helpful stewards.
As I didn't see any groups of Port fans I found a good viewing spot and was soon surrounded by a group of BFC fans, who I have to say were very friendly, talkativve and had no problem with me being " an away fan". For the first 40 mins they were very complementary about our defence and how we had blunted their attack. During half time there was a lot more chatting, mainly about them going to nearly every away game last season and how they would have to limit the away games this season, due to the increased mileage & costs. During the 2nd half when they had taken the lead and the purile chanting about the Tory government and the heavy industrial language had started, a woman in the group said to me "if that is what your fans get like when they go behind, we wont be going there". My immediate reaction was to say that it was normal for NLN and that some clubs were far worse. That was when I thought about what I was saying and cut my reply short and apologised to them (and the stewards on the way out).
There has been a lot of comments on the topic of how we can generate more cash for the club. Here is a suggeation, don't alienate other teams fans. For me, hearing a group of 8-10 FOOTBALL fans, who regularly go to away games saying they will not be going to our ground is sad, granted the loss of revenue will only be about £100 but every £ counts.. Perhaps (some) the port fans behind the goal should consider the loss of those paying customers.
With regard to the BFC fans, they were not just happy clappers, they were genuine hard core fans. There was some industrial language but nothing more than one would expect at a game.
To sum up: Bad result, poor game but not a bad day out and if we play them again next season, i will be there supporting my team SFC.
Alas another post to follow.
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

Ref the political chanting. What the hell does it have to do with football ?. Alienating people is stupid, especially when the majority of the people in Southport voted conservative at the last election.We should be actively encouraging all people to Haigave. Also, if a staunch Tory came forward as a sugar daddy to the club would you reject the money, no. So please leave the slagging off to where it is merited and on Saturday that was the ref and one of the liners
As much as you may hate it, Football is no longer just a working mans (or woman, or whatever) game. The days when fans had to work in a factory or pit, keep a whippet or pigeon, vote Labour and be a union member have gone. Most clubs now try and welcome all fans...even lib dems for gods sake (:-)).

1 more happier post to follow.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

portexileinbath wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:21 pm the majority of the people in Southport voted conservative at the last election.
No, they didn't.

Electorate 70837
Conservative votes 22914
Votes for other parties 25266
Didn't vote 22657

They must be a very sensitive bunch in Banbury if they won't come to Southport due to political chanting from the opposite end of the ground.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

On a different matter, something showing SFC in a good light and it is directed at the SFC staff at the game.
To the member of SFC staff that came over and spoke to a female BFC fan near the dugouts, about Cams injury. Not only was I impressed with you taking the time to come over and have a word, the group of BFC fans around me were too. One comment that stuck out was, that was damn decent of him to come over and have a word, all credit to him.
To explain. The lady was very vocal in telling other BFC fans to lay off the jibes to Cam about being sent off, as he walked past them because she could see he was seriously injured. She was so concerned about Cam walking all the way around the pitch when he was probably concussed that she wanted the ref to stop the game, so he could be taken across the pitch, so he could get treatment ASAP. In my book, that is what football fans should be like.
I would also like to pass my thanks to the SFC staff member who took the trouble to come over and apologise to me for nearly decapitating me with a sliced cross during the warm up and for repeating the apology some 80 minutes later. A class act. Ps I am a Port fan so there was no need to apologise, it was nice to see the ball travel that far without it coming down with ice on it, as was the case far too often during tue game :-).
If you have taken the trouble to read all the above thanks.
That's all for now.
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:47 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:21 pm the majority of the people in Southport voted conservative at the last election.
No, they didn't.

Electorate 70837
Conservative votes 22914
Didn't vote 22657

They must be a very sensitive bunch in Banbury if they won't come to Southport due to political chanting from the opposite end of the ground.
It wasn't the political chanting it was the language being used and it wasn't the opposite end of the ground it was along the touchline, not far from the Port fans, where there were quite a few younger fans among the BFC fans.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

portexileinbath wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:03 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:47 pm
No, they didn't.

Electorate 70837
Conservative votes 22914
Didn't vote 22657

It wasn't the political chanting it was the language being used and it wasn't the opposite end of the ground it was along the touchline, not far from the Port fans, where there were quite a few younger fans among the BFC fans.
But you've excused the Banbury's supporters own bad language. I hope you apologised to the stewards on their behalf too.
With regard to the BFC fans, they were not just happy clappers, they were genuine hard core fans. There was some industrial language but nothing more than one would expect at a game.
Last edited by Ralphy Rylance on Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

Marsh Harrier wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:33 pm @PortexileinBath Who the hell do you think you are to dictate to fans travelling miles to watch a football team week in week out??
I am a travelling fan too (and have been a travelling fan for the last 50 years, since my family left Southport and 7 years before that as a home fan) and have as much right to post what I think, as any Port fan.
Due to the logistics and costs I can't get to anywhere near as many games as I would like, but I get to as many as I can. FYI the average cost for each game I go to is about £100 and involves many train changes. BFC was just about as local as it gets for me, 5 trains, just over 2 hours travel each way. All the exiled fans put in the hard miles to support our team and we do it without a supporters coach. !.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

tonyhey wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:47 am
Redrobe wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:11 am The cost of energy crisis has been coming down the tracks for months. That being the case, how pathetic of the National League Board to have 2 blank midweeks during August but to be playing midweek games in December. Are those games going to kick off at 1.30 to 2pm?
The National League Board has proven itself to be utterly incompetent when it comes looking after the interests of member clubs. Some of its decisions and rulings during COVID were unbelievable. I wouldn’t expect the Board members would allow clubs to have early kick offs to offset the huge costs of the energy crisis.
Good point. Their covid fines and behaviour was in my view a disgrace. Wouldnt trust then one inch. Self important.
Michael
----------
----------

Post by Michael »

Scotch Egg wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:34 pm I suspect both Ian and Liam (as board members) feel they have a duty towards the club to keep it operating, especially in these financially challenging times. If somebody came along with a pile of cash and said "I can take this to a higher level", I'm sure they'd listen.
PH did come 'along with a pile of cash'. Whatever happened to it?
Sandgrounder3
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder3 »

Precisely, wondered when someone would mention Hodgkinson’s injection of cash
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

portexileinbath wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:21 pm Ref the political chanting. What the hell does it have to do with football ?. Alienating people is stupid, especially when the majority of the people in Southport voted conservative at the last election.We should be actively encouraging all people to Haigave. Also, if a staunch Tory came forward as a sugar daddy to the club would you reject the money, no. So please leave the slagging off to where it is merited and on Saturday that was the ref and one of the liners
As much as you may hate it, Football is no longer just a working mans (or woman, or whatever) game. The days when fans had to work in a factory or pit, keep a whippet or pigeon, vote Labour and be a union member have gone. Most clubs now try and welcome all fans...even lib dems for gods sake (:-)).

1 more happier post to follow.
Banbury is a very blue collar working class town which has suffered in jobs and housing I know it well. if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.
It's a working class sport being ruined by middle class Dulwich and Claptons and by the Premier bore.
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

portexileinbath wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:25 pm
Marsh Harrier wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:33 pm @PortexileinBath Who the hell do you think you are to dictate to fans travelling miles to watch a football team week in week out??
I am a travelling fan too (and have been a travelling fan for the last 50 years, since my family left Southport and 7 years before that as a home fan) and have as much right to post what I think, as any Port fan.
Due to the logistics and costs I can't get to anywhere near as many games as I would like, but I get to as many as I can. FYI the average cost for each game I go to is about £100 and involves many train changes. BFC was just about as local as it gets for me, 5 trains, just over 2 hours travel each way. All the exiled fans put in the hard miles to support our team and we do it without a supporters coach. !.
It's BUFC by the way
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

portexileinbath wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:53 pm On a different matter, something showing SFC in a good light and it is directed at the SFC staff at the game.
To the member of SFC staff that came over and spoke to a female BFC fan near the dugouts, about Cams injury. Not only was I impressed with you taking the time to come over and have a word, the group of BFC fans around me were too. One comment that stuck out was, that was damn decent of him to come over and have a word, all credit to him.
To explain. The lady was very vocal in telling other BFC fans to lay off the jibes to Cam about being sent off, as he walked past them because she could see he was seriously injured. She was so concerned about Cam walking all the way around the pitch when he was probably concussed that she wanted the ref to stop the game, so he could be taken across the pitch, so he could get treatment ASAP. In my book, that is what football fans should be like.
I would also like to pass my thanks to the SFC staff member who took the trouble to come over and apologise to me for nearly decapitating me with a sliced cross during the warm up and for repeating the apology some 80 minutes later. A class act. Ps I am a Port fan so there was no need to apologise, it was nice to see the ball travel that far without it coming down with ice on it, as was the case far too often during tue game :-).
That's all for now.
Was Mason sent off?
Churchtown Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

I have no problem with fans’ political opinions, I’m sure we have a wide variety of political opinions amongst our fan base (even some UKIPpers - are they still a thing?)

I’m not sure however that f*** the Tories is going to motivate the players - they may find it funny, but uninspiring. Surely our efforts should go into getting behind the team. Jeremy Corbyn may be a great man (or not), but he couldn’t win an election, and he’s not done anything of note for Southport FC!
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

Redrobe fan wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:42 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:53 pm On a different matter, something showing SFC in a good light and it is directed at the SFC staff at the game.
That's all for now.
Was Mason sent off?
No he sustained a nasty kick to the head during an ill advised excursion outside the box. By the time he walked past me, he had a lump the size of an egg near his eye. He was almost totally out of it, hence the concern about him having to stagger around the edge of the pitch (with help) rather than be taken across it. The other worry was that he said he had a 3 hour drive to get home. I hope someone drove him home when he was released from hospital.
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

Churchtown Yellow wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:19 pm I have no problem with fans’ political opinions, I’m sure we have a wide variety of political opinions amongst our fan base (even some UKIPpers - are they still a thing?)

I’m not sure however that f*** the Tories is going to motivate the players - they may find it funny, but uninspiring. Surely our efforts should go into getting behind the team. Jeremy Corbyn may be a great man (or not), but he couldn’t win an election, and he’s not done anything of note for Southport FC!
Totally agree with paragraph 2.

Not sure about ukippers but i had some normal kippers for breakfast.
DannyJohnston
----------
----------

Post by DannyJohnston »

portexileinbath wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:34 pm
Redrobe fan wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:42 pm
That's all for now.
Was Mason sent off?
No he sustained a nasty kick to the head during an ill advised excursion outside the box. By the time he walked past me, he had a lump the size of an egg near his eye. He was almost totally out of it, hence the concern about him having to stagger around the edge of the pitch (with help) rather than be taken across it. The other worry was that he said he had a 3 hour drive to get home. I hope someone drove him home when he was released from hospital.
Rob and Julia followed the ambulance and stayed with him until his family arrived
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

Well done for going to hospital with Cam
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

That is excellent of them both.