Banbury 3-1 Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

Re: Banbury 3-1 Southport - Match Thread

Post by portexileinbath »

The last 3 posts are spot on. Well done to R&J U.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

I see that some post seam to have wandered of the track of football, so apparently if fxck the Tories is an acceptable football chant, then I thought I would wade in mine FxCK the Labourites, moderate should ban such bollocks on this site, in my opinion, as for the fans,I have said before sticks and stones..........
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

We shouldn’t let all this politics distract us from the fact Watson and the playing staff aren’t good enough!
Sand74
----------
----------

Post by Sand74 »

As someone who is unashamedly a Labour Supporter and involved in my Local Party I, maybe weirdly, sometimes feel a little uncomfortable with Political chants at Football.

One of the great things about Football is that it appeals to everyone, no matter what their background or political persuasion.
It's somewhere the local community and those with ties to it put the rest of the world aside for a while and I'd not want to see one of our fans feel alienated at the match when supporting the Team.
We all want the same thing when we're at the Football.

I know there is lot's of nostalgia about how the game was run by the fans in the old days but a lot of that is bollocks.
English Football Clubs have generally been kept afloat by rich Businessmen.
This is a generalisation but there's always been (at every Club) a perceived difference between those who stand behind the Goal and those that sit in the Stand.

On the other hand Football supporters do reflect society and the "Fuck The Tories" chant is merely a snapshot of how a significant proportion of people in the Country currently feel.
Formerly known as Lurch (S.F.C)
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

I wouldn't get particularly excercised by our young rabble rousers. Most of them couldn't name the town's MP. The majority are too young to vote. Give them a few years to grow up and see some sense :D

The chant originates from Liverpool supporters. They have added this humourous ditty to their repetoire over the last few years. Being viciously anti-Tory is as much part of the scouse identity as North Face trackies. It's migrated its way to Haig Ave through mimicry of our illustrious neighbours. For possibly understandable reasons, no kids want to be associated with the woolly hinterlands of Southport and the rise of plastic scouserism is strongest amongst the youth.

It's just 'monkey see monkey do' copying from LFC. It doesn't translate very well as the politics of Liverpool and Southport are very different and it's also a bit cringeworthy. But nowt worth wetting knickers over.
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

Sand 74. You were doing so well upto the last paragraph
:-)
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Port on the Kent wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:36 pm I wouldn't get particularly excercised by our young rabble rousers. Most of them couldn't name the town's MP. The majority are too young to vote. Give them a few years to grow up and see some sense :D

The chant originates from Liverpool supporters. They have added this humourous ditty to their repetoire over the last few years. Being viciously anti-Tory is as much part of the scouse identity as North Face trackies. It's migrated its way to Haig Ave through mimicry of our illustrious neighbours. For possibly understandable reasons, no kids want to be associated with the woolly hinterlands of Southport and the rise of plastic scouserism is strongest amongst the youth.

It's just 'monkey see monkey do' copying from LFC. It doesn't translate very well as the politics of Liverpool and Southport are very different and it's also a bit cringeworthy. But nowt worth wetting knickers over.
It's a bit strange that these supposed plastic scousers who don't want to be associated with the woolly hinterlands of Southport are supporting Southport FC home and away then. 90% of this town want nothing to do with its football club but these youngsters do.
When I started warltching Southport there was rampant racist chanting from the Brick End (perhaps more representative of a right wing voting town) and the odd practising glue sniffer on the terraces. It's pretty mild by comparison these days (the chanting, not the glue).
Last edited by Ralphy Rylance on Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

portexileinbath wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:39 pm Sand 74. You were doing so well upto the last paragraph
:-)
It's not surprising that some people have noticed that we've got the worst government we've ever had and there's nothing wrong with a good shout now and then, but I think as POTK points out it is a bit Liverpool. I wouldn't be sad if it stopped, but the pearl-clutching over it is a bit much - you suspect it's only because it's the wrong side.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

I for one am outraged that these liberal snowflakes are singing nasty songs about brave Liz and the MP's who work so hard in the interests of the people of this country.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Ste_B wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:21 pm I for one am outraged that these liberal snowflakes are singing nasty songs about brave Liz and the MP's who work so hard in the interests of the people of this country.
Nobody could do a better job in these circumstances, unless Boris does a Liam Watsonesque return as saviour.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Boris was the Mike Walsh of British politics.
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

george wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:57 pm I see that some post seam to have wandered of the track of football, so apparently if fxck the Tories is an acceptable football chant, then I thought I would wade in mine FxCK the Labourites, moderate should ban such bollocks on this site, in my opinion, as for the fans,I have said before sticks and stones..........
I agree not politics or religion, I am willing to donate a bottle of quality wine to the couple who accompanied Cam on Saturday.
When I'm at a home game could I drop it of at the secretaries office?
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:11 pm Boris was the Mike Walsh of British politics.
That’s most unfair on Mike Walsh.

Mark Wright?
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Gloucester man wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:13 pm
george wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:57 pm I see that some post seam to have wandered of the track of football, so apparently if fxck the Tories is an acceptable football chant, then I thought I would wade in mine FxCK the Labourites, moderate should ban such bollocks on this site, in my opinion, as for the fans,I have said before sticks and stones..........
I agree not politics or religion, I am willing to donate a bottle of quality wine to the couple who accompanied Cam on Saturday.
When I'm at a home game could I drop it of at the secretaries office?
There or the club shop, I’m sure it would find its way to where it needs to go either way.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Redrobe fan wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:21 pm
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:11 pm Boris was the Mike Walsh of British politics.
That’s most unfair on Mike Walsh.

Mark Wright?
Nah, more like the man at the other end of Wrighty’s walkie-talkie, Alan Lewer.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

My rant on here about wandering of the topic of football, seems to have made it worse, lol,nothing wrong with debate, so backto football,
1.i wish Southport can win on Saturday
2.lets hope for a great season, play off place at least
3.lets bring the crowd back to haig ave
4.sure I just saw a pig fly past the window
And above all,Watson Out,like the man for what he has achieved, but......come.on,nobody can defend this right now,up the port
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Imagine a conversation about football wandering to something other than football - wouldn't have been allowed in the old days. IT'S THE BEGINNING OF THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL.

I blame the Tories.
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

I think some people have mussed the main point of my posts after BUFC (got it right this time). It was that we need to do everything we can to generate £££ for the club. We all want more and better players and one way to do that is to increase the number of bums on seats or clogs on terraces at our home games. I think we can all agree on that (regardless of political leanings). So to hear a group of dedicated fans saying they wouldn't be going to Haig Ave was hard to take.
All clear now ?.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

portexileinbath wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:06 pm I think some people have mussed the main point of my posts after BUFC (got it right this time). It was that we need to do everything we can to generate £££ for the club. We all want more and better players and one way to do that is to increase the number of bums on seats or clogs on terraces at our home games. I think we can all agree on that (regardless of political leanings). So to hear a group of dedicated fans saying they wouldn't be going to Haig Ave was hard to take.
All clear now ?.
It doesn't really add up that fans you described as harcore fans using industrial language would be put off by opposition fans using industrial language, particularly when you admit it is normal at every ground.
During the 2nd half when they had taken the lead and the purile chanting about the Tory government and the heavy industrial language had started, a woman in the group said to me "if that is what your fans get like when they go behind, we wont be going there". My immediate reaction was to say that it was normal for NLN and that some clubs were far worse....

With regard to the BFC fans, they were not just happy clappers, they were genuine hard core fans. There was some industrial language but nothing more than one would expect at a game.
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

If someone wants to post “fuck the Tories” on here, that’s fine. If someone wants to post “fuck Labour” that’s fine too. I’m not going to moderate anyone’s political opinion. I think it’s all a bit cringeworthy mind but hey ho. If it gets personal, we’ll step in, as we already have on one occasion.

(No-one cares about the Lib Dems :lol: )