BASTARD
BASTARD

Re: Banbury 3-1 Southport - Match Thread

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:59 pm
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:32 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:18 pm

Miles from anywhere?
Roughly equidistant from the cities of Sheffield, Nottingham and Derby in an area awash with smaller clubs a step or two below. They're probably spoilt for choice with potential players.
It's a shame the North West of England is such a footballing desert or we'd be able to sign enough players to field a team.
It's a shame we're on the periphery of it.
Alfreton is on the periphery of the modern world. They didn't even have a card machine.

I think people are right to defend the club against the madder end of the criticism because there's always enough people to slag it off, but it does feel like some of these challenges only apply to us for some reason. I have no doubt there are other clubs that have started poorly griping about a number of things, but are any of them complaining about physically not having enough players seven games into a season? We seem to fall apart in games now, and I think having zero flexibility is part of that.

It's depressing mainly because we are not hopeless - we are quite close to being a very good side. We have some likeable, committed players who could go on and win stuff if they were backed up. I could see us going on a run again, but only if we add to the forward line - we have created absolutely bugger-all from open play this season and far too often we've resorted to smacking it into the corners hoping for set-pieces. We can do better than this, and we might well do, but we seem to delight in making it harder for ourselves sometimes.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:14 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:59 pm
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:32 pm

It's a shame the North West of England is such a footballing desert or we'd be able to sign enough players to field a team.
It's a shame we're on the periphery of it.
Alfreton is on the periphery of the modern world. They didn't even have a card machine.

I think people are right to defend the club against the madder end of the criticism because there's always enough people to slag it off, but it does feel like some of these challenges only apply to us for some reason. I have no doubt there are other clubs that have started poorly griping about a number of things, but are any of them complaining about physically not having enough players seven games into a season? We seem to fall apart in games now, and I think having zero flexibility is part of that.

It's depressing mainly because we are not hopeless - we are quite close to being a very good side. We have some likeable, committed players who could go on and win stuff if they were backed up. I could see us going on a run again, but only if we add to the forward line - we have created absolutely bugger-all from open play this season and far too often we've resorted to smacking it into the corners hoping for set-pieces. We can do better than this, and we might well do, but we seem to delight in making it harder for ourselves sometimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfnhmuZ27eQ
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
yellosoul
----------
----------

Post by yellosoul »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:23 pm

I don't understand what Liam and Ian get out of it. I am sure they have better things to do with their lives than bumble along like this.
Don’t know about Ian but as manager I’m pretty sure Liam will be ‘getting’ a salary out of it. And a contract for his son
Dewsnip
----------
----------

Post by Dewsnip »

Poor coaching/inflexibility/some lack of quality in the squad aside, something else that has increasingly frustrated me is the apparent lack of influence TMcP has on the state of affairs. He’s been here long enough but the longer he is here he seems more and more a clone of what we have. IK is in a very difficult position (don’t know if it’s of his own making or not). i.e. that the manager is a director is tricky to say the least, especially when he has previously been so successful for the club. Something has to change though.
If we had a mythical big cash injection do you think the tactics would change with LW ? I don’t. He’s set in his ways
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Dewsnip wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:51 pm Poor coaching/inflexibility/some lack of quality in the squad aside, something else that has increasingly frustrated me is the apparent lack of influence TMcP has on the state of affairs. He’s been here long enough but the longer he is here he seems more and more a clone of what we have. IK is in a very difficult position (don’t know if it’s of his own making or not). i.e. that the manager is a director is tricky to say the least, especially when he has previously been so successful for the club. Something has to change though.
If we had a mythical big cash injection do you think the tactics would change with LW ? I don’t. He’s set in his ways
No, it wouldn’t change. We have a Cloughie at Forest situation really. Lots of success early on with a manager who loves the club and is respected by all but has stayed on too long. On Terry - we were assured after the last match of the season that he’d have more influence this season and I think there was a suggestion that’d herald a variation in styles. Hasn’t happened sadly.
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

Genuine question does anyone on here actually think Liam Watson is the best manager Southport could have? Surely there’s managers within our reach that would bring better and more modern tactics.
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

I am sure that if the job was advertised we would have applicants but who would decide who got the job ? We have a team of directors and Terry, would he also have to step down ? If Liam was no longer manager would he still be a director ? Survival at this level must be our priority as well as staying solvent for this season .There is probably a manager out there who is better but its a risk that could backfire . I would rather watch the team in a lower division than it no longer existed we must be on the brink financially.Hopefully the players we have will keep us up even if they only get limited chances to score due to the style of football ? we play. Seems we cant sign more players - back to finances im afraid.as for the future its crystal ball time.
Last edited by optimickstic on Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Good news on Cam Mason from Southport FC Twitter

We are pleased to report that following concussion in this afternoon’s game and following a CT scan Cam is being discharged from Ratcliffe Hospital in Oxford tonight.
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

SteH90 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:37 pm Good news on Cam Mason from Southport FC Twitter m

We are pleased to report that following concussion in this afternoon’s game and following a CT scan Cam is being discharged from Ratcliffe Hospital in Oxford tonight.
Concussion still isn't to be taken lightly, and he may face a short spell on the sidelines.

FA regs say any concussed player should wait at least 14 days before returning to training, unless in an "Enhanced Care Setting."

I'm honestly unsure as to whether we will qualify for this - and if we do our club doctor will have his work cut out for a while.

(I'm working off a 2019 document and there may be more up to date info - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 2YCWGp66j0)
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

Good luck Cam and get well soon.
Mick g
----------
----------

Post by Mick g »

Another disappointing result today, what's really tiring is going over the same old crap the is no experience in this young squad, for me liam who I do admire all he does for southport is telling us about spinning plates yet nothing, Ian seriously needs to have a rethink about where we are going because people are going to stop coming if things don't improve, I for one have had a rethink and in a couple of weeks I'm off to watch wigan athletic if I get that match day experience Ian goes on about I won't be back and I have supported southport for many years just always feel deflated , and this I'd rather be in a lower league and still have a club bollocks you might get your wish one day and you will probably be watching on your own .
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Mick g wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:51 pm and this I'd rather be in a lower league and still have a club bollocks you might get your wish one day and you will probably be watching on your own .
Bang on.

I always think the telltale sign that change is necessary is when "this is better than non-existence" is all there is left.
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

On comments about Ian without him we'd be gone and we owe him a debt of thanks for stepping in when nobody else would.
To me it's blindingly obvious we need more directors who can help us financially but where are they? Until Ian has more support we will be a mid/ mid lower table side unless we are very lucky.
I do think are scouting system needs a look at and clubs like Banbury and Leamington are showing us the way and we need to look at thier system. We seem.to rely to much on the Liverpool area and we need a broader based scouting system. Bob Murphy was good at looking across the NW as a whole.
On Cam I hope he's alright hope we get him back in the next few weeks as a loose head forward I was concussed twice it's not funny.
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:02 pm
Mick g wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:51 pm and this I'd rather be in a lower league and still have a club bollocks you might get your wish one day and you will probably be watching on your own .
Bang on.

I always think the telltale sign that change is necessary is when "this is better than non-existence" is all there is left.
Agreed.
We are really sinking lower and lower
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

I still think McNulty would be great for us.
He is really looking forward to management.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

There's along way to go of course, but not just me,I told you so,some people on here have watched football all there lives,and I am fed up of Watson pissing down my leg and telling me it's raining, no...its piss,change it and change it quickly, give supporters, those that are left,something, please
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Watson interview post Banbury on You Tube now, he sounded forlorn unsurprisingly.....
Sand74
----------
----------

Post by Sand74 »

I've only seen 2 games this season which is less than I've ever done before by this stage. We were fucking appalling in both and left me feeling demotivated to get to games for the first time in long time.

Like most on here I have some ideas but don't have the answers or indeed the money to solve them.

A more engaged fan base wouldn't do any harm.
A resurrected Trust or Supporters Club could be an asset helping achieve some of the ideas from the recent thread. Even convened working parties looking at individual projects could be something we could look into.
Otherwise it's just a wish list.

By the way did anyone else have "Bob Murphy" or "I am flouncing off to watch Wigan Bastards" on their Post Defeat Bingo card today?
Formerly known as Lurch (S.F.C)
Marsh Harrier
----------
----------

Post by Marsh Harrier »

Yesterday furious after watching us lose again, the killer was watching them pass the ball around at the back to kill the game, we couldn't get near them!

Today disillusioned listening to Watson's interview, he's lost my backing, but better news about Cam so fingers crossed.

Tomorrow optimistic about a good cup run and the potential positive impact it could have on the rest of the season.

Come on the Port!
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:29 am Watson interview post Banbury on You Tube now, he sounded forlorn unsurprisingly.....
He did say we had funds though and there’s an admission that management has to help by bringing players in. I’d say that should’ve been in the summer but there you go……