Banbury 3-1 Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
englishr

Re: Banbury 3-1 Southport - Match Thread

Post by englishr »

pault wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:36 pm
Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:23 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:06 pm 7 points from 7 games. It's not great but it's better than the 3 points we had after 7 games last season.
Not saying I'm delighted, just trying to dampen some of the inevitable hysteria, but I see I'm too late for that.
Last season we had the seven toughest games, this season we had two promoted teams and bottom of the league.

I don't believe we will get relegated. We will kick and scrap and throw our way to somewhere between 12th - 18th but it's the treading water and lack of any progress that grates. This team is no better than a year ago and it's worse than it was a few years ago.

I don't understand what Liam and Ian get out of it. I am sure they have better things to do with their lives than bumble along like this. There was a saying often aimed at Clapham... 'shit or get off the pot' and it's becoming relevant to the current duo in charge. If Liam and Ian have any ambition or intent then let's be 'aving you. Unfortunately it becomes more apparent every passing week they are happy plodding along, getting overtaken by teams like Banbury who have the drive, ambition and desire to progress and improve that has been absent at Haig Avenue for a while.
If Ian and Liam jacked it in and put their shares up for sale who do you think would be willing to buy them and take over? I can't imagine a large queue forming.
Yes there would be plenty of takers for this or any football club. Not sure why people seemed to think under Charlie or now that Southport fc isn’t an attractive club and town to buy the football club. The town and area is a lovely place to live and the club has massive potential. The supporters let Charlie for years stay on board with no ambition and the same is happening now. Don’t give me there would be no takers because that’s totally wrong
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

englishr wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:22 am
pault wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:36 pm
Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:23 pm

Last season we had the seven toughest games, this season we had two promoted teams and bottom of the league.

I don't believe we will get relegated. We will kick and scrap and throw our way to somewhere between 12th - 18th but it's the treading water and lack of any progress that grates. This team is no better than a year ago and it's worse than it was a few years ago.

I don't understand what Liam and Ian get out of it. I am sure they have better things to do with their lives than bumble along like this. There was a saying often aimed at Clapham... 'shit or get off the pot' and it's becoming relevant to the current duo in charge. If Liam and Ian have any ambition or intent then let's be 'aving you. Unfortunately it becomes more apparent every passing week they are happy plodding along, getting overtaken by teams like Banbury who have the drive, ambition and desire to progress and improve that has been absent at Haig Avenue for a while.
If Ian and Liam jacked it in and put their shares up for sale who do you think would be willing to buy them and take over? I can't imagine a large queue forming.
Yes there would be plenty of takers for this or any football club. Not sure why people seemed to think under Charlie or now that Southport fc isn’t an attractive club and town to buy the football club. The town and area is a lovely place to live and the club has massive potential. The supporters let Charlie for years stay on board with no ambition and the same is happening now. Don’t give me there would be no takers because that’s totally wrong

Totally agree, this club does have potential but no one has stepped up to the plate to realise it.

The potential needs to be sold to someone out there!
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:02 pm
Mick g wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:51 pm and this I'd rather be in a lower league and still have a club bollocks you might get your wish one day and you will probably be watching on your own .
Bang on.

I always think the telltale sign that change is necessary is when "this is better than non-existence" is all there is left.
Couldn’t agree more. The complaints here are all on pitch - about the style, the lack of planning, the idea that a small squad is suitable with 4 more games when it was proven not to be last season. All clubs are facing a harsh winter but we have money so it shouldn’t stop us sorting our problems without constantly giving thanks we still have a club to support. Ian has done a fantastic job, there’s now money to spend so let’s do something to change the situation and stop giving thanks we still have a club - it sounds like we’re accepting something less than mediocrity to still be around and “We’re no good but we’re still here” doesn’t scan well as a chant anyway.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

When there’s hopefully a positive announcement regarding energy after the PM leadership is sorted, I think we’ll move for a couple of bodies then. Don’t underestimate the threat these energy prices are to non league clubs.

I’m the first one to say we need players and if Liam’s interview with Killeen is to be believed, then he knows we need bodies too. But there has to be some realism with economics surrounding energy… bills potentially going up 600% in worse case scenarios.

Sorry to be boring and to give the club an excuse but I do think it’s legitimate in this sense. We need good players and they cost more than players who will just be an extra number in the squad. It’s a horrible balancing act at the moment.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

SteH90 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:13 am
Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:29 am Watson interview post Banbury on You Tube now, he sounded forlorn unsurprisingly.....
He did say we had funds though and there’s an admission that management has to help by bringing players in. I’d say that should’ve been in the summer but there you go……
He sounds to me like he doesn't know which way to go. Cruel is Sport when it's against you, the injuries are unfortunate, he has obviously done well & his reputation has saved him up to this point, but a fresh approach needs to be implemented, if necessary a new Manager who will bring his own staff & players with him. It would be sad if the fans turned on him at games which is distinct possibility if it is allowed to go on much longer. I have never been a fan of his tactics, still it is a bad situation for the Chairman as it also sounds like players don't want to come here, is it because of the way he coaches his teams perhaps? For me he stunts any flair or creativity, for example Connor Woods is a shadow of the player he could be, he is a winger not a front man....
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Just looked at our current run, we have recorded 3 wins in the last 21 matches.

THREE. WINS. IN. TWENTY-ONE. MATCHES.

I had to check it twice.

I can't think of any other manager in English football who would be safe as houses. The club has got itself in a very strange position with a failing manager on the board.

There's an admission the squad isn't good enough (we know) but no comment on the tactics or (lack of) shape or cohesion that's led us here.
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

I've listened to Liams post match interview he wasn't far of the mark if truth be told.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:27 pm Just looked at our current run, we have recorded 3 wins in the last 21 matches.

THREE. WINS. IN. TWENTY-ONE. MATCHES.

I had to check it twice.

I can't think of any other manager in English football who would be safe as houses. The club has got itself in a very strange position with a failing manager on the board.

There's an admission the squad isn't good enough (we know) but no comment on the tactics or (lack of) shape or cohesion that's led us here.
True (and I’ve also noted the won an 1/8 of matches stat) POTK but I think you’d need to volunteer to ask the tactics question. We can’t expect Rob to do it as the tactics don’t change so the question wouldn’t change! Liam does address it with comments like ‘we know how we want to play’ and ‘we put it into the right areas’ but that’s as far as it goes. He likes playing like this, always has but we used to be able to do it with better players and more teams played like this but we did it better. As the years have progressed the game has moved on, the quality of player has moved on and most importantly the quality of coaching has moved on. As someone on Twitter said earlier every opposing coach knows how we play and the vast majority (18 of the last 21!) can combat it. That’s not bad luck, it’s a pattern & one we have to break because winning an eighth or your matches (even if you drew the other 18) won’t achieve much…..
Last edited by SteH90 on Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I do sympathise with Liam because it sounds like we have had some absolutely rubbish luck with transfers, but it's not as if we couldn't have seen it coming and it should have been sorted in the summer. As much as a small squad really doesn't help with this we've been unlucky with injuries again (Bell particularly), must wish Chris Doyle all the very best.

I still think we are capable of having a good season, let's hope things start coming off for us soon. It hasn't been an unmitigated disaster, but it's more difficult to take because of the way last season finished.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Ian and Liam did not promise instant success. IIRC the strategy was to sign young players with promise and those seeking a second chance, and over time build a strong squad.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Not listening to the pod cast,heard all that bollocks before,
Widen the fxckin pitch ,play 44 fxckin 2,play football, you know, like the rest of the teams,in the country, isn't going to happen with the present manager,
Let's make a start, Watson out
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

We did play 4-4-2 yesterday.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:54 am When there’s hopefully a positive announcement regarding energy after the PM leadership is sorted, I think we’ll move for a couple of bodies then. Don’t underestimate the threat these energy prices are to non league clubs.

I’m the first one to say we need players and if Liam’s interview with Killeen is to be believed, then he knows we need bodies too. But there has to be some realism with economics surrounding energy… bills potentially going up 600% in worse case scenarios.

Sorry to be boring and to give the club an excuse but I do think it’s legitimate in this sense. We need good players and they cost more than players who will just be an extra number in the squad. It’s a horrible balancing act at the moment.
Re cost of energy for non league clubs surely something leagues and the fa could do in winter months would be to allow match kick off times to be Brought forward to 130 or 2pm. Could save alot on floodlight and other general lighting costs. Every bit counts....
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

Match highlights will be available on the Banbury website from midnight tomorrow. Matchday interviews are already available,
We don't do radio coverage or vidoe coverage yet teams with lower budgets Banbury and Leamington do without affecting attendances the usual excuse given by the club.
This is another thing we're so backwards looking.
Hat Trick Patrick
----------
----------

Post by Hat Trick Patrick »

Gloucester man wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:44 pm Match highlights will be available on the Banbury website from midnight tomorrow. Matchday interviews are already available,
We don't do radio coverage or vidoe coverage yet teams with lower budgets Banbury and Leamington do without affecting attendances the usual excuse given by the club.
This is another thing we're so backwards looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etW0i9tdnOg
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:04 pm
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:54 am When there’s hopefully a positive announcement regarding energy after the PM leadership is sorted, I think we’ll move for a couple of bodies then. Don’t underestimate the threat these energy prices are to non league clubs.

Re cost of energy for non league clubs surely something leagues and the fa could do in winter months would be to allow match kick off times to be Brought forward to 130 or 2pm. Could save alot on floodlight and other general lighting costs. Every bit counts....
Ste B said on another thread he had come across it being discussed lower down the pyramid. It is a no-brainer for me at our and even a couple of steps above.
Redrobe
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe »

The cost of energy crisis has been coming down the tracks for months. That being the case, how pathetic of the National League Board to have 2 blank midweeks during August but to be playing midweek games in December. Are those games going to kick off at 1.30 to 2pm?
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

Redrobe wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:11 am The cost of energy crisis has been coming down the tracks for months. That being the case, how pathetic of the National League Board to have 2 blank midweeks during August but to be playing midweek games in December. Are those games going to kick off at 1.30 to 2pm?
The National League Board has proven itself to be utterly incompetent when it comes looking after the interests of member clubs. Some of its decisions and rulings during COVID were unbelievable. I wouldn’t expect the Board members would allow clubs to have early kick offs to offset the huge costs of the energy crisis.
PORT FOREVER
----------
----------

Post by PORT FOREVER »

portexileinbath wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:17 pm It must all be the fault of a Tory government, or you would thinks so by the purile chanting. First game of the season for me and I felt obliged to appologise to the BUFC fans around me and the very helpful & friendly stewards. There is banter and there is foul mouthed abuse. A totally crap display is no excuse.
Why did you feel the need to apologise to stewards? It's literally their job.
PR9
----------
----------

Post by PR9 »

Redrobe wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:11 am The cost of energy crisis has been coming down the tracks for months. That being the case, how pathetic of the National League Board to have 2 blank midweeks during August but to be playing midweek games in December. Are those games going to kick off at 1.30 to 2pm?
Are you actually suggesting playing 8 in games in August as a part timer team??