Carl Soloman

Chester 1-0 Southport - Match Thread

Post by cavjj »

Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Re: Chester V Southport - Match Thread

Post by Jonny Smith »

I don’t know why I have this sneaky feeling we’re gonna win tonight. I think tonight will be our night and we may even win comfortably.
superbike999
----------
----------

Re: Chester V Southport - Match Thread

Post by superbike999 »

Match commentary has started
Paulisi
----------
----------

Re: Chester 0-0 Southport - Match Thread

Post by Paulisi »

Anson didn't warm up, so still injured.

100 mile an hour stuff.
We dominated the first half, but they had the best chance at the end when Tony Mac made a great double save.
Hmami playing well.
SteH90
----------
----------

Re: Chester 0-0 Southport - Match Thread

Post by SteH90 »

I’d venture the quite extraordinary verdict for a Port away match and say we’ve been the better team. There was long periods where we had more of the ball and actually passed it rather than launched it. Midfield has been particularly effective. It seems like a conscious effort to be more creative, to try things and pick out passes rather than just lump it. That said Chester could have led late on when McMillan did well to save two shots. If they pass it more behind our slightly high defensive line there could be trouble. Munro will come on for Bainbridge because Jack was booked for a heavy challenge on a Chester midfielder for which I’ve seen a red card given. Charlie’s been warming up ever since and could suit the more considered approach we’ve used so far tonight.
SteH90
----------
----------

Re: Chester 1-0 Southport - Match Thread

Post by SteH90 »

Our more considered approach of the first half didn’t last because as the old boxing adage says ‘everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth’. As soon as we went 1-0 down we reverted to route one and looked less likely to score as the minute ticked by. Whilst there are positives to take from the night we again got zero points and no goals and that’s got to be a serious concern. If you’re on top you have to score. Chester didn’t have to do much to earn the points - just a clinical finish from a hopeful ball into the box but that’s exactly what we can’t do. We’re just not good enough to get results.
Last edited by SteH90 on Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
David999
----------
----------

Post by David999 »

Only heard on radio though sounded like we were doing ok but again could not finish - so one goal enough to beat us . Chester had loans from Wigan , Preston and Everton - seems we can’t tap teams like that .
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

Makes you wonder if any of the players actually believe in the managers tactics because surely they must be sick of it!
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

1 point from the last 5 games. 1 goal scored 9 conceded.

I was trying to be positive pre match but then the game started
Swedes
----------
----------

Post by Swedes »

First half we were on the front foot for most of it without looking amazing. Tony Mac saved our arse with a great double save towards the end of the half, and the ref and liner were quite lenient towards us before that.

Second half they put a ball in the box, one of their lads had time to chest it down, order a kebab, and put it in the net with very little pressure on him. We didn't threaten after that.

Hard to blame the lads as the effort was there, the lack of quality was alarming though. The responsibility for this falls on one man and one man only.
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

Swedes wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:12 pm First half we were on the front foot for most of it without looking amazing. Tony Mac saved our arse with a great double save towards the end of the half, and the ref and liner were quite lenient towards us before that.

Second half they put a ball in the box, one of their lads had time to chest it down, order a kebab, and put it in the net with very little pressure on him. We didn't threaten after that.

Hard to blame the lads as the effort was there, the lack of quality was alarming though. The responsibility for this falls on one man and one man only.
And that one man and one man only ain’t going anywhere. He would have to leave on his own accord and no way in a million years will he walk. He can’t be sacked he’s one of the directors
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

This can’t go on.
In five years we have gone from perpetual strugglers in the National League to perpetual strugglers in NLN. Unless something dramatic happens we are nailed-on certainties for NPL next season.
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

Ian Kyle has to act and act now!
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

Stratford Excile wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:23 pm Ian Kyle has to act and act now!
I don’t think he has the power to do that. I’m pretty sure that even though Kyle and Watson have different director roles I’m
Under the impression Kyle cannot sack Watson. It won’t happen get used to this for much longer
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

We have no attacking threat whatsoever when we play Archer up front on his own. We played reasonably well against a rubbish Chester side without ever looking like we'd score until one flicked header from Archer late on that hit the post. For a side that relies on set-pieces to score we are unforgivably shit at them, and as Swedes says we conceded a ridiculous goal from one.

The ref let us off the hook tonight - Tony Mac could easily have conceded a penalty when their striker was booked for diving (and maybe have gone off, leaving Some Lad as our keeper for next week), and Bainbridge could easily have gone for a ropey challenge near the end of the first half. Tony probably man of the match, but there wasn't a lot on offer really.

I honestly don't know where we're going or what we are trying to do at the moment. We are at best treading water and at worst giving up, as we did last year. We will see some seriously worying attendances this winter unless we show some intent soon - the two home games the week after next are starting to look like six-pointers and that is very, very depressing.
Last edited by Ronnie Hotdogs on Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Unibond Awakes
----------
----------

Post by Unibond Awakes »

.I cannot believe that it was better footballing wise under the Clapham era than it is now ,we always competed in this league after relegation in 2003.under Clapham’s tenure.We never have since 2017 & 3 wins in 22 matches certainly tell the tale.I recall Ian Kyle doing an interview at the beginning of his tenure and was asked would you replace the Manager if results dictated it...well that time is surely now..What is also unacceptable is that we have even been unable to fill our subs bench on several times this season never mind the last.
Last edited by Unibond Awakes on Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yellosoul
----------
----------

Post by yellosoul »

Jonny Smith wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:26 pm
Stratford Excile wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:23 pm Ian Kyle has to act and act now!
I don’t think he has the power to do that. I’m pretty sure that even though Kyle and Watson have different director roles I’m
Under the impression Kyle cannot sack Watson. It won’t happen get used to this for much longer
Ian Kyle is easily the majority shareholder with full control of SFC

If he decides to do something nobody can overturn his decision
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

A tale of two halves- one which showed exactly what we're missing in a good target man, the other- well perhaps that'd better go unmentioned. The first 45, with the support of the referee's favourable, but questionable, decisions was the best I've seen us play all season, and that's without a number of key players- however the missed chances and lack of leadership from the front were all too familiar, and indicate the gaping hole left by Carver which is unable to be filled by the likes of Woods (who, in fairness, had a decent game) and Watson who just isn't good enough for the team in any capacity in my opinion.

The frustrating thing is that most of the players are at least good enough for the standard of play, with a few exceptions (Watson, Vassallo, Lusiama and Oliver) but they cannot play this style of long ball football which was employed in the second half. I understand desperation to get a point, and that in some instances tactics do go out of the window and that can be a good thing when you're chasing a game but to play an entire half of football route one with no-one to hold the ball up and no-one to win flick ons and then to act surprised and praise the effort of the team (which I thought was lacking for large swathes of the second half anyway) just doesn't sit right with me.

How we can go from playing some, admittedly direct, but useful and attractive football which yielded a lot of chances created and a lot of set pieces won to hoofball with no target? It's almost like we've finally realised we're able to keep the ball on the floor, attempted it, and then we always regress back to long ball when in reality we blew Chester away in parts of the first half by keeping it on the deck more.

The answer to our problems isn't as cut and dry as 'Watson out' although that is a good start in my opinion and at least gives us a capacity to exit this never ending cycle of mediocrity. However it is certainly a mentality problem and a lack of confidence when we go behind which really hurts to see as we don't lack quality in a lot of areas and are defensively solid enough in almost any configuration imaginable to keep a deficit to the odd goal even when we do play more attractive football. I do think Terry has slowly been afforded some more influence and I think that showed tonight in the first half. Chester were the epitome of nothing special and their chant of "we're on our way to the National League" was perhaps even more unrealistic than when we sing it 😂.

Also just a message to anyone, please don't question another supporter's support for the club, as I witnessed tonight, just because their views are different to yours. As a paying customer, you are entitled to whatever opinion you want and being able to articulate said opinion is one of the reasons the game is so enjoyable. Some call it "free speech". So please, if you have no constructive criticism and no substantiation to your counter-argument, shut the fuck up. Rant over.
Last edited by David_1276 on Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

yellosoul wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:43 pm
Jonny Smith wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:26 pm
Ian Kyle is easily the majority shareholder with full control of SFC

If he decides to do something nobody can overturn his decision
Surely the number of shares held is irrelevant.

There's 3 board members with an equal vote in boardroom decisions.

There are shareholders who aren't on the board who have more shares than 1 of the directors but they have no say in the boardroom.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
PortInTheSouth
----------
----------

Post by PortInTheSouth »

Battled well in parts. Chester denied a stonewall pen in the first half but other than that was two poor teams cancelling eachother out on the whole. We should be concerned though.