yellosoul
----------
----------

Re: Chester 1-0 Southport - Match Thread

Post by yellosoul »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:54 pm
yellosoul wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:43 pm
Jonny Smith wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:26 pm

I don’t think he has the power to do that. I’m pretty sure that even though Kyle and Watson have different director roles I’m
Under the impression Kyle cannot sack Watson. It won’t happen get used to this for much longer
Ian Kyle is easily the majority shareholder with full control of SFC

If he decides to do something nobody can overturn his decision
Surely the number of shares held is irrelevant.

There's 3 board members with an equal vote in boardroom decisions.

There are shareholders who aren't on the board who have more shares than 1 of the directors but they have no say in the boardroom.
Ian Kyle effectively owns the club. He shouldn't need permission from Liam Watson or Steve Porter to make the crucial decisions
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

For all the domination in the first half, we never managed a shot on target.
Second half didn't have the intensity. One shot on target from Josh from 20 yards that the keeper spilled and the header from Jordan that hit the post. Other than that we hardly threatened.
You will not win many games when you only have one shot on target.
Chester are one of the poorest teams we have seen this season and they still took 3pts off us.

The squad is too light, the formation doesn't work for what we have and we lack leaders on the field.

To only have 4 fit players on the bench is still not acceptable, so far into the season.
We had three strikers pre season, (Nyal, George Newell and Jordan), but now are down to just Jordan and Enoch, who quite frankly is not good enough for this level.
Jordan's game doesn't fit a sole striker role as he likes to win flick ons or control with back to goal coming deep.
If you are going to play one upfront, then you need midfield to drive forward and support the striker. This rarely happens this season. That means even when we get the ball wide , the cross has to be perfect as there is little option other than Jordan and he is normally well marked.
Connor Woods is so out of form, he would be dropped if we had any fit players to replace him.

As for leaders on the pitch. Adam is injured, Marcus and Doug have moved on and their doesn't seem to be any leaders/organisers on the pitch.

Ultimately this is down to poor recruitment and poor tactics and their is only one person to blame...
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

Sounds like it was a better performance and we played a bit of football until we conceded may be hope for the future.They say there is money available for recruitment we need a couple of experienced players quick. Goals per game stats are grim well done Tony Mc on keeping it down to one tonight.
Swedes
----------
----------

Post by Swedes »

Money may be available for recruitment, but we are 2 months late with whatever recruitment we decide to do.

In the 3-4 weeks since I last watched us at Alfreton away nothing has really changed, the only difference was Chester were generally less effective than Alfreton were. I suspect if we carry on like this we'll be found wanting a lot more
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

I agree wholeheartedly with what David _1276 has said. We didn’t have the confidence to keep playing football against a really quite poor Chester team once they’d scored (by the way they were several levels poorer than last seasons match, mainly because it was a second string midfield - they didn’t dominate, they didn’t control possession & may have played even more long balls than we did). Make no mistake, our players CAN play, several have come through Premier League academies and in the first half we passed, probed, were intelligent and worried Chester. Then as soon as a goals conceded we go back to the very thing that we continue to do game after game despite not being very good at it and it not producing either goals or points. It’s all about knock downs from set pieces, it’s desperate, scrambling football and totally threw out the more considered, patient approach of the first half. We can’t complain about injuries tonight, lots of players returned to the starting line up & we brought on three subs so the reason behind another goalless and pointless match lies elsewhere. Bainbridge getting booked for a rash tackle in a non-dangerous area underlined how questionable our discipline is. The tackle was a last ditch, edge of the box to prevent a goal one, not a half way inside their half one. So we had to change personnel after 45 minutes which disrupted momentum. Finally, does anyone know what our record is when we concede the first goal? And also how many goals do we concede early in second halves?
Pirate Jim
----------
----------

Post by Pirate Jim »

As much as I questioned Clapham’s tenure he would never have tolerated this dross. I’m fed up of the excuses. It has to change NOW.
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

Stratford Excile wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:23 pm Ian Kyle has to act and act now!
I think he needs financial support as it's basically a one man band money wise?
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

Even if we stick with Liam what good is it in the long term we will finish anywhere between 13th and 22nd with Liam in charge. Surely Ian can see the club needs a new manager!
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

First twenty minutes we looked good and should have gone ahead. It was obvious where we are lacking, we got in behind a fair few times and there were plenty of dangerous balls across the box with absolutely nobody on the end of them. Chester didn't really threaten until Tony Mac made a good double save on half time. I was encouraged at the break, we had played some football and it was the hosts who were going longer.

Game changed with the subs. We took off Bainbridge who'd been the most influencial holding midfielder. At the same time, Chester brought on the experienced Kev Roberts who was their most influencial midfielder. At the drop of a hat, we lost the midfield we'd been winning and the momentum changed. Bizarre substitution. Jack was on a booking but you don't take your only ball winner off just because they've picked up a yellow.

Second half they were the better team. Goal was pathetic defending. Innocuous free kick on the touchline put in at chest height, their lad had time to bring it down and convert on the penalty spot. You'd rip your hair out if an under 8s conceded that goal.

We had one chance in the second half, a Walton cross was met by Woods whose header clipped the post.

Then came insane substitution number two, we took off Woods who'd been much improved and brought on Niall, who I kid you not, did not get a touch of the ball. If we wanted to bring on some legs, anyone would have taken Hmami off who played well but was always going to flag after 70 minutes coming back from injury. He duly did. Chester had half chances and pot shots to add a second.

The cliche that 90% of football is in both boxes rings so true for us. We actually looked better in the middle third. Fewer hopeless punts. Plenty of running. But when you concede amateur goals and carry no goal threat it all counts for nothing.

As others have said, Chester have had their own injury crisis and they've had no problems loaning players in. We have that sinking feeling because when we play poorly we lose and when we play better we also lose.

3 wins in 22 and it's becoming farcical that Liam Watson is still in charge. The excuses ran out a long time ago I am afraid.

Time for change.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Absolute load of crap. Something needs to change/give. Genuinely think a line in the sand needs to be drawn if Liam isn’t to leave…

Liam Watson - Director of Football overseeing recruitment and footballing matter.
——————— (this is a line in the sand)
Terry Mac - Head Coach

Not sure what’s so wrong with implementing this. Liam, in the current game, is strongest around recruitment (well, actually is he?) and moving players in to the football league. I’m absolutely convinced he wants what is best for the club but his strengths are obviously not in the dugout anymore.

We’ve got a good coach with a really good standing in the game. Give him more on the pitch influence.

Or is there another Graham Potter in university football who fancies a gig?!
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Port on the Kent wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:19 am
Game changed with the subs. We took off Bainbridge who'd been the most influencial holding midfielder. At the same time, Chester brought on the experienced Kev Roberts who was their most influencial midfielder. At the drop of a hat, we lost the midfield we'd been winning and the momentum changed. Bizarre substitution. Jack was on a booking but you don't take your only ball winner off just because they've picked up a yellow.
As soon as Jack was booked Liam told Charlie Munro he was coming on and he spent the rest of the half increasing his warm up before going in for the team talk rather than training on the pitch. I think the initial thought was not to have a central midfielder on a yellow but it turned out that the defensive solidity Jack was providing gave the other midfielders a licence to pass it to feet. The momentum changed and we lost again.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Given the financial importance of the FA Cup, I would suspect that becomes the red line. Lose there and that will be that.
BlankPort
----------
----------

Post by BlankPort »

Week in week out people come on this forum and say Watson has to go. My question to those people is simply this, if all you do is come on here and type a message week in week out, what do you honestly expect to change?

I haven't seen for example a banner with Watson out at a game, if you truly want Watson out, why don't you stop typing on a forum and actually act at games. They can't stop you holding your banner or stop you chanting for Watson to leave, so what is stopping you?

If you truly believe that Ian will listen to fans, make your voice heard at games not a forum which is just ramblings of a few fans.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:45 am Given the financial importance of the FA Cup, I would suspect that becomes the red line. Lose there and that will be that.
I suspect LW will be given time to introduce the changes he feels we need and if things don’t improve from that, LW will step aside. I think that’s the correct thing to do.

We are heavily reliant on LW, so we can’t afford to act in the way of most football clubs. IK will obviously know of the efforts and the misfortune we’ve had in trying to bring players in, so I don’t think a tough away game is where any line is drawn unless it’s drawn by LW himself.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

The biggest lie ever told was when Liam was appointed to the board. Asked about a potential conflict of interest, Ian responded "I can sack him."

Well 3 wins in 22 tells us he obviously can't.

I get the impression Liam runs the club from top to bottom. Recruitment, on the pitch, off the pitch... it's not Southport FC it's Liam Watson FC and that will only change when he decides he's had enough.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Apart from the first game,it isn't going very well is it.
I don't quite understand what the management thought was going to happen, Fans always live in hope,but what exactly was the plan, same team,minus 2 of the best players, same crap tactics, and voilà..........we need a win,quickly, how,do what we should have done pre season, and get some experience in,yer I know, we haven't got the money, and,blah, blah, ect,seems all the other pub teams we play seem to manage, Watson is killing thus club
BlankPort
----------
----------

Post by BlankPort »

george wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:08 am Apart from the first game,it isn't going very well is it.
I don't quite understand what the management thought was going to happen, Fans always live in hope,but what exactly was the plan, same team,minus 2 of the best players, same crap tactics, and voilà..........we need a win,quickly, how,do what we should have done pre season, and get some experience in,yer I know, we haven't got the money, and,blah, blah, ect,seems all the other pub teams we play seem to manage, Watson is killing thus club
Week in week out people come on this forum and say Watson has to go. My question to those people is simply this, if all you do is come on here and type a message week in week out, what do you honestly expect to change?

I haven't seen for example a banner with Watson out at a game, if you truly want Watson out, why don't you stop typing on a forum and actually act at games. They can't stop you holding your banner or stop you chanting for Watson to leave, so what is stopping you?

If you truly believe that Ian will listen to fans, make your voice heard at games not a forum which is just ramblings of a few fans
yellosoul
----------
----------

Post by yellosoul »

BlankPort wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:36 am

If you truly believe that Ian will listen to fans, make your voice heard at games not a forum which is just ramblings of a few fans
Ian doesn't seem to like banners

He's partial to a ban-or 2 though
Last edited by yellosoul on Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

After last night my last 8 Southport away matches (last season and this) have the combined record
Played 8
Won 0
Drew 0
Lost 8
Goals for 3
Goals against 22
I think I may be the problem and have tendered my resignation for board consideration. I’d like to thank my staff for their efforts, the train companies for getting me there and the numerous pints taken on board to cope. I will not be commenting further on this matter. 😂
BlankPort
----------
----------

Post by BlankPort »

yellosoul wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:51 am
BlankPort wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:36 am

Ian doesn't seem to like banners

He's partial to a ban-or 2 though
Pretty sure Ian doesn't like banners which are hiding pyrotechnics.