Darlington 3-2 Southport - FA Cup - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Sgreen1234
Call Me Steve
Call Me Steve

Re: Darlington 3-2 Southport - FA Cup - Match Thread

Post by Sgreen1234 »

Very disappointing run of results. Now we can at least concentrate on our push for the play offs :)
PortInTheSouth
----------
----------

Post by PortInTheSouth »

Gutting game to watch. A "seen them given" pen I can forgive but the red card that goes with it is extremely harsh (think Watson had some words with the ref at FT). Looked like we had 11 for the whole game too, so credit to the squad. I feel we do need a freshen up in the managerial role, but even the most anti Watson fans can't blame this one on him for me. *opinion though so please appreciate that :D *. Great to see a decent number travelling however.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

siddle wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:46 pm
SteH90 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:19 pm Someone has to answer to that, explain why and come up with a plan to turn it around.
I agree with that. My personal view is that Liam is the right man for the job. For a myriad of reasons. But yes, there needs to be more of a plan.
There’s a lot of men who aren’t the man for the job unfortunately and that’s the gamble we’d be entering into should Liam no longer be manager. It’s a big decision to change manager and we have no idea what the future will hold if we do but we have to face the fact that the recent run is frankly pathetic and something has to be done to change that. I’d want a detailed plan to change it, actually using the money that’s been set aside for new players and a coherent analysis of our tactics if I was the Chairman. I am not. Over to Ian.
There has to be some accountability for this wretched run. We purposely set out to have a small squad as if its the be all and end all to guaranteed success but the fact is we don’t have enough numbers to cope with injuries or suspensions. When they occur it means the players who are fit, play. You’re ‘fit’ but you play every minute of every match you’re available for. Our disciplinary record is poor so suspensions are often added to injuries as a reason players are unavailable.
Attended Prescot v Bamber Bridge today and while both are a level/2 levels below us Cables have a squad of 22 & Bamber Bridge 20. Which beats ours of 19 with 3 keepers. You need 16 for a team and a bench. How often have we, been able to name 16 fit players?
Last edited by SteH90 on Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Listening to the commentary, made me smile when we kicked off,one pass,the booted hard as possible to the courner, out for there throw,the rest of the game didn't mean a thing, all are problems summed up in the first 2 kicks. When,and not if,we are in the league below, we will have reached watson's level, the Darlo commentators said that is was the worst game in terms of quality they had seen this season, try watching Southport every week,still you live in hope that sooner or later we will win a game,weather its enough to keep us up,who knows, but one fellow who is not arsed either way is the manager
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

I’m waiting for the post match interview. I’m waiting for the words It is what it is. And we go again next weekend. I’m gonna record all the post match podcasts and it will be like watching a repeat after repeat
Gilbert69
----------
----------

Post by Gilbert69 »

Wow well all you watson fans I'm sure your happy after today . Simple fact is we are awful on the pitch . Ian Kyle and watson both have to take Full responsibility. No fa cup run = no money . We are preety much in a relegation scrap from now till.the end of the season . Joke of a club
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

Genuine question this but is it only me that feels like it’s inevitable relegation for us if not this season then in the upcoming ones just don’t feel like we are going anywhere as a club?
PR9
----------
----------

Post by PR9 »

Don't worry though everyone we have the Liverpool senior Cup and Lancashire challenge trophy
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Today in the Southport 'finding new ways to lose' Chronicles we played well for seventy minutes and lost because our geriatric goalkeeper threw two into his own net.

We took an early lead from a corner. Looked like Bainbridge from my end but Niall must have got a second touch on it. Straight from kick off they got in behind Carberry and one on one, Carbs shoved him in the back. Stonewall penalty and red card. Crap defending letting his winger in behind from a long ball, get what you deserve for poor positioning and letting a long diagonal drop over your shoulder. We got back in front when a shot came off the post and Walton tapped home. Rest of the half we were comfortable, Tony Mac made one good save from a header down low but that's all Darlo had to shout about.

I thought we'd come out and get mullered but up until their goal we played well. We hit the bar, would have been an own goal. Crap liner gave a goal kick but he was useless all afternoon. Darlo scored when a routine corner dropped over McMillan's head for Beck to knock home. They got in front when a mishit cross from the left came straight to Tony at chest height, he spilled the ball and it was all over.

The disappointing part of the game was at 2-3 we never threatened. No idea what the thinking was behind the subs. We took off Niall and Hmami (our best two players by a distance) and Walton. Taking off our three creative outlets killed us. We brought on the more conservative Vassallo and J Doyle, and then Enock who just isn't very good. When we needed to chase the game we'd taken our best players off.

Don't know what to say that hasn't been said. Two goalkeeping howlers, if Mason was playing we might have won. You can accept individual excuses for individual games, that's football. But when it's 3 wins in 23 nothing washes any more.

Same story as against Chester. Looked better for most the game. But when you are suicidal in your own box and have nothing up front (Archer has reverted to being next to useless, but I feel sorry for him being the only striker) it's all talk.

It was there for the taking today. I don't hammer opposition teams, normally I accept they are better. But Darlo were pants, it was like watching us. Every time they got the ball they kicked it out for a throw or straight back to us. They were shite and got out of jail, and they know it.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

He has to go.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
MrC
----------
----------

Post by MrC »

Sad to see the result today, especially in the FA Cup. Been in France all Summer and not seen a game yet, so let’s see if they can change to winning for the Leamington and Bradford PA games, and lift us up the league.
I won’t know all the players but with 10 or 11 retained players from last season, I’ll know most of them. I’ll be looking to see if it’s ground passing football or hoof ball, and whether Munro is still the playmaker?
Thought this morning about the last time we played at Darlington in the Cup. We lost 2-1 and thought the same result would happen today. Sorry, no enthusiastic feeling. Having a quiet beer in the garden at 3-40pm, my wife told me the Port were winning 2-1, but down to 10 men. Sadly, my answer was “ there’s still time for us to lose 3-2”, and so they did!
Jonny Smith, I stopped listening to Liams podcasts before Easter last season because I was sick of hearing “we are where we are” and “it is what it is”. Same old drivel and no change of tactics on the pitch.
After 63 years a supporter, you can see the frustration. Not bought a season ticket and know friends the same. We were inching towards 1000 a game, but now expect it’s going the other way to 700.
My match reports for the next 2 games should be interesting reading to Portchatters.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

MrC wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:53 pm be looking to see if it’s ground passing football or hoof ball, and whether Munro is still the playmaker?
It’s the latter, Mr C.
Jackcarrboy
----------
----------

Post by Jackcarrboy »

Just asking when enough is enough for some fans am a big Watson fan but even now I think it’s time for him to do the right thing but some pople on here r still behind him so what will it take and no point looking forward to vids when u have some like rob asking the question to sacred to ask Liam what where all thinking
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

Jonny Smith wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:23 pm I’m waiting for the post match interview. I’m waiting for the words It is what it is. And we go again next weekend. I’m gonna record all the post match podcasts and it will be like watching a repeat after repeat
Does anyone listen to interview after game,it only makes you more disappointed.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

I spoke to Tommy Taylor's dad after the game, he mentioned that if Cam was playing it'd have been a different match altogether. He had a very fair assessment of the tie however his assertion that Darlington would get promoted was for me a bit misplaced. That and I didn't believe we had any bias towards us at home during the league game, which apparently Darlington did? They're not a bad team per se, but man for man are not significantly better than us and we're rubbish at the minute. I think, if we had a full XI including Mason and Anson, who both make for HUGE upgrades at the back, we win there without much trouble. Despite the fact that we're nothing special so-to-speak.

The penalty was a woeful decision, and something which I'd like to dub the "North East Tax"; the mandatory baffling decision we get every time we play anywhere east of Yorkshire. Carberry may or may not have even touched him, he wasn't last man, and Felix went down like he'd been shot. Also the 'double jeopardy' type rule for penalties signifies such a decision shouldn't be made irrespective of how much/ little contact there was. Not even a touch in the back, and an extremely slight trip from Carberry at the very worst. At least Carberry will be available for the next game when it gets overturned and we receive the customary pisstake apology from the FA. Game ruined by one monkey with a whistle, and 2 others with flags.

Still think we could've managed subs much better, and chased the game at 3-2 down which became inevitable after the first whistle in the second half. However, and as one of Watson's biggest critics myself, I did think our tactics and game management were on point from the sending off and so for that he deserves credit. It still doesn't change the fact we lost though, or the fact he should walk if he has any dignity.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Sometimes it's obvious the manager has to go because you can tell by the players' body language they've downed tools and the dressing room has gone. I don't see that aspect, there's enough trying. We can all remember Southport teams where there's been a lack of effort, I can't level that at the players.

It is tactics, recruitment and ultimately results why there needs to be a change. The style of football is not only a major put off to floating fans who want some entertainment, it's also not effective. Crowds are sliding and it's because the product isn't worth paying for. For us die hard 600, results are all that matter. Anyone afflicted enough to be reading Port Chat on a Saturday evening is in the hard core group who want to see us win. But the 500 - 1,000 casual floating 'fans' who come to the big games and who we need to attend, simply won't pay £15 to watch a Liam Watson team.

If it was ugly but effective you could make an argument, but it isn't. I don't think some people, Mr Kyle included, have fully comprehended what 3 wins in 23 IN THE NATIONAL NORTH really means. If we had that streak during our Conference days it would be a nightmare, but this is hitherto unthinkable.

Liam is often heralded for his recruitment. His recruitment over the Summer was sub-standard, both in terms of quantity and quality. He left us with a tiny squad and one fit striker. We had a solid base of 12/13 that we could have kicked on from. We never did. We keep hearing about his contacts. What contacts? Every other team in the league is able to bring in loanees and non-contract players throughout the season. We have been scratching around with barely 11 fit players and there has been nothing, apart from an over reliant obsession on a former player who hasn't scored for nine months and is injured.

Failed tactically, failed on recruiment, failed on results. Is there effort? Yes. But it isn't enough.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

In all honesty, to save all the acrimony name calling & the inevitable criticism, you would think Watson would have the bottle to hold his hand up say thanks for the memory & do one for everyone's sake......he has had a good inning's but the writing is on the wall & has been for a long time, to carry on would hurt him & the Club, also leave the Boardroom & put the light out on the way out..
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:23 pm If it was ugly but effective you could make an argument, but it isn't. I don't think some people, Mr Kyle included, have fully comprehended what 3 wins in 23 IN THE NATIONAL NORTH really means. If we had that streak during our Conference days it would be a nightmare, but this is hitherto unthinkable.
23 games is half a NLN season and we would be relegated if we managed 6 wins in 46 matches. What’s the plan to improve this record? Two home matches now to alter the narrative. If we can’t manage 4 points at least there have to be consequences.
Chilled
----------
----------

Post by Chilled »

These two running ( our ruining ) our club have some thick skin
Honestly don’t know who’s worse out of them both
Season finished in mid sept
Depressing is an understatement !!

And don’t give me we are slow starters - cos we are slow finishers as well
Last edited by Chilled on Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

SteH90 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:42 pm
Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:23 pm If it was ugly but effective you could make an argument, but it isn't. I don't think some people, Mr Kyle included, have fully comprehended what 3 wins in 23 IN THE NATIONAL NORTH really means. If we had that streak during our Conference days it would be a nightmare, but this is hitherto unthinkable.
23 games is half a NLN season and we would be relegated if we managed 6 wins in 46 matches. What’s the plan to improve this record? Two home matches now to alter the narrative. If we can’t manage 4 points at least there have to be consequences.
Bradford PA on the Tuesday has the hallmarks as one of the lowest league crowds in years. No away fans, three days after a home match. Could be in the 500s. Maybe that's what it will take for Ian to take notice.

Always been the case at Southport that we are not a vocal protesting lot (Watson would have been chased out of some stadiums on the backs of the results) instead people protest by not coming. Hundreds do and hundreds more will join them.