Darlington 3-2 Southport - FA Cup - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Gambo's Left Boot
----------
----------

Re: Darlington 3-2 Southport - FA Cup - Match Thread

Post by Gambo's Left Boot »

siddle wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:46 pm
SteH90 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:19 pm Someone has to answer to that, explain why and come up with a plan to turn it around.
I agree with that. My personal view is that Liam is the right man for the job. For a myriad of reasons. But yes, there needs to be more of a plan.
Can you share with us maybe a couple of that myriad of reasons, because I'm struggling to think of many.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:56 pm
SteH90 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:42 pm
Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:23 pm If it was ugly but effective you could make an argument, but it isn't. I don't think some people, Mr Kyle included, have fully comprehended what 3 wins in 23 IN THE NATIONAL NORTH really means. If we had that streak during our Conference days it would be a nightmare, but this is hitherto unthinkable.
23 games is half a NLN season and we would be relegated if we managed 6 wins in 46 matches. What’s the plan to improve this record? Two home matches now to alter the narrative. If we can’t manage 4 points at least there have to be consequences.
Bradford PA on the Tuesday has the hallmarks as one of the lowest league crowds in years. No away fans, three days after a home match. Could be in the 500s. Maybe that's what it will take for Ian to take notice.

Always been the case at Southport that we are not a vocal protesting lot (Watson would have been chased out of some stadiums on the backs of the results) instead people protest by not coming. Hundreds do and hundreds more will join them.
Longridge on Tuesday night not Bradford Park Ave! :roll:
Portoldie
----------
----------

Post by Portoldie »

We should try and switch the BPA game to the Saturday after. They are also out of the cup.
2 home games in 3 days doesn’t seem very appealing at the moment.
PortInTheSouth
----------
----------

Post by PortInTheSouth »

Just watched it back - it's an even worse decision than I thought originally. Penalty is extremely harsh and the red is a joke
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

At what point does Liam tarnish his achievements at Southport with the fans? If we get relegated? or will some fans just always thank him for getting us promoted 15 years ago.
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

I’ve just watched the Carberry incident a dozen times over, and I can’t see that he has even touched him. If we appeal it, surely it will be overturned.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

Now hopefully everyone will understand my standpoint on the incident :lol:.
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

tonyhey wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:35 pm
I’ve just watched the Carberry incident a dozen times over, and I can’t see that he has even touched him. If we appeal it, surely it will be overturned.
That is a diabolical decision. The Darlo player either deliberately went down or tripped over his own feet. He wasn't touched.
Yes, an appeal should surely be successful. But the penalty decision won't be overturned. Shameful.
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

We've been absolutely shafted by the ref on the red/pen. And even better an appeal will likely fail as it's not conclusive. Brilliant.

I thought triple threat had been changed by IFAB?
Sandgrounder3
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder3 »

Watching on YouTube, referee was only about 15 yards at most from incident
Unibond Awakes
----------
----------

Post by Unibond Awakes »

Frankly I can no longer accept the repetitive weekly excuses after excuse and meaningless and irreverent podcasts.The clear fact & bottom line is SFC are in steep decline aided and abetted by a burnt out manager with weak summer recruits which clearly excabate the situation....We will go down with Watson at the helm I have no doubt and Ian Kyle needs to make a decisions and pretty quickly. .300 less gates at say £10 is £3000.For the continual bleat we have no money ...make a change!
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

I’m finding it mental he’s still in the job. He obviously loves the club….time for him to show it.

🪓
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

Listening to his interview you would think we’re near the play off places🤦🏽‍♂️
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

I was behind the penalty decision and it looked like Carberry leant into him but I can't see much contact there, if any.

The red card was correct (if it was a foul) because the double jeopardy yellow card rule only comes into play if the offending player makes an honest attempt to win the ball. If Carberry slides in to scoop the ball away and misjudges it, it's just a yellow. But because the referee has given it as a professional foul with no intent to win the ball, it's red.

So the decison is either nothing at all or penalty and a red card. Looks like it should have been nothing.
Sgreen1234
Call Me Steve
Call Me Steve

Post by Sgreen1234 »

Just started to listen to the interview - Liam says it was a fantastic performance. As I wasn't there I can only believe that it must be true. However, I must also conclude that Darlington's performance must have been more fantastic than ours. Still the wait goes on to see a Southport shirt on the pitch at an FA Cup Final, Oh hang on? :D :roll:
The Commander
----------
----------

Post by The Commander »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:07 pm I was behind the penalty decision and it looked like Carberry leant into him but I can't see much contact there, if any.
Absolutely nothing going for us. Started with Bell's injury at Bootle and Liam must feel the gods are against him. Can't forgive him for the lack of signings pre-season though. Will just be our luck to suffer more injuries playing in these unwanted micky mouse competitions.
BlankPort
----------
----------

Post by BlankPort »

I will quote a Arsenal Fan Tv legend and life long fan...

'IT'S TIME TO GO' (Claude 2019).
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Annonymous_fan wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:48 pm Listening to his interview you would think we’re near the play off places🤦🏽‍♂️
Liam is on another planet in his interview, but you have to remember he isn't just speaking to the fans. When he gives these interviews he's also speaking to the players.

He knows confidence is rock bottom as it always is in a losing team, he needs to lift them and you don't get that from hammering them in public. There's been countless times over this horrific run where he could have called them out but it's self-defeating to attack your players publicly and knock their confidence further.

It does mean we have to listen to delusions on a stratospheric level, but if his comments lift the players and we win the next game then I don't care.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:09 pm
Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:56 pm
SteH90 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:42 pm

23 games is half a NLN season and we would be relegated if we managed 6 wins in 46 matches. What’s the plan to improve this record? Two home matches now to alter the narrative. If we can’t manage 4 points at least there have to be consequences.
Bradford PA on the Tuesday has the hallmarks as one of the lowest league crowds in years. No away fans, three days after a home match. Could be in the 500s. Maybe that's what it will take for Ian to take notice.

Always been the case at Southport that we are not a vocal protesting lot (Watson would have been chased out of some stadiums on the backs of the results) instead people protest by not coming. Hundreds do and hundreds more will join them.
Longridge on Tuesday night not Bradford Park Ave! :roll:
"Bradford PA on the Tuesday... three days after a home match."