Darlington 3-2 Southport - FA Cup - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Re: Darlington 3-2 Southport - FA Cup - Match Thread

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

The players aren’t at fault.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

I can’t believe Kyle is letting this continue. He is so weak
DannyJohnston
----------
----------

Post by DannyJohnston »

Jonny Smith wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:25 pm I can’t believe Kyle is letting this continue. He is so weak
Agreed
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

The fans have nothing to look forward to. Everything about the club has become so amateurish and depressing. What you waiting for Kyle for us to be in the league below before you decide enough is enough. It’s ridiculous and delusional
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

One of the worst parts about all of this is that Watson sounds as if he's here for the long run by his interview. There seems to be no worry or eagerness to do things differently about his demeanour in interviews, he's far far too safe in his position. If Ian Kyle reads this, as I believe he probably will, I'd implore him to seriously consider Watson's lack of urgency. We're a club in crisis on the pitch no matter what anyone says, and, although as I've said before that is not entirely Liam's fault (with injuries, poor refereeing decisions etc.) his inability to see the very real possibility of relegation is frankly unsettling. A manager in his position from a purely footballing standpoint, with this current run of form, should be looking over his shoulder at every opportunity and be grateful for every opportunity to turn things around, not act complacent and as if there's no threat to his job, because it's clear to see there isn't. "We will get better" is no excuse. We probably will, but saying anything about injuries is misleading too as by our luck we haven't ever had a fully fit team and bench since probably the start of pre-season, and not for a league game in as long as I care to remember.

I'd love it if, when we next have one of these 'catch up' sessions with Rob and Ian, he'd be able to once again put the question "if this run of form continues, do you and the other board members have the power to sack him?" to Ian. Because right now it seems as if the answer to that is a resounding "no".
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I don't yet think it is beyond Liam to turn this round, but the current mess is very hard to take on the back of the inexplicable negligence that caused the shambolic end to last season. I don't know what's happened to us since January, but I'd like it to stop happening now.

Toby's sending off does look unbelievably harsh on the video. That may be bad luck (not the first horrific penalty decision we've had at Darlington), but we haven't just been unlucky for nine months. Even if the ref stitched us up today, we could easily have had a penalty and a red card given against us on Tuesday night.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

Would love to see the numbers of fans and the percentages of who want Watson in or out.
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

A question does the NL look at film evidence to reverse sendings off for diving ?
Mr Ah Yes
----------
----------

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

Gloucester man wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:17 am A question does the NL look at film evidence to reverse sendings off for diving ?
Should do. If we accompany it with the footage of the near own goal that scraped the bar, and resulted in a goal kick, they might take retrospective action against the officials as well.
As for Watson out, who comes in? Any change of manager would still need another striker (plus other players to have a bit of depth in the squad) but if Ian Kyle says we cannot afford that then any potential manager would likely be put off.
Financially, that would have been helped by having a cup run, so it is now down to trying to get more through the gates to generate more money that way. Still no mention of our next home match on the board on the Formby bypass...
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

For anyone searching for the ‘straw that broke the camels back’ moment, a 3-2 away defeat to a side near the top with only ten men the entire game is not it.
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

Right. I’ve had a think about this and there is some positives;

- We lost to NLN opposition and now a lower league time like Telford, Leamington and Spennymoor managed to do.
- Looking back at the highlights, some shocking refereeing cost us. That’s never a pen in a million years. The red card decision is criminal there. One of their goals off the corner, Quansah is jumped on.
- One less distraction. Probs needed as we play so many games this season

However, the FA cup we really could have gone on a big run and put some money in the pot for proceeding to further rounds. It also brings the crowds in. You look at Marine, their FA cup run is the reason they get so many at home.

I would like the club to come out with ideally a vision of what they want going forward and what our goals truly are. At the moment there seems to be a disconnect between the club and the fans. Not between the fans and the players that relationship is still strong.

For me there is so many ideas for the club to raise money that are easy to implement. okay they involve a slight risk, but it something isn’t working, just pull it. Hopefully they will get more people in. Get some more money in to be able to bulk up the squad with another forward Atleast. Jordan prefers to play with another striker.
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

Do I want Watson out? I’m still really not sure. My impulse reaction yesterday was yeah. Just on the current run and how we’ve won 3 in 23. It’s not good enough. But yesterday was spoilt by the officials and if their decisions was what swung that game. Chester was another loss but they played well apart from the lapse in concentration that caused the goal.

However. Teams are judged on results and form not if you played well. But this isn’t my call, but Liam shouldn’t be on the board for reasons like this.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Mr Ah Yes wrote:Still no mention of our next home match on the board on the Formby bypass...
The signs are Trust in Yellow's not the club's so that probably explains why they haven't been updated.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Mr Ah Yes
----------
----------

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:40 am
Mr Ah Yes wrote:Still no mention of our next home match on the board on the Formby bypass...
The signs are Trust in Yellow's not the club's so that probably explains why they haven't been updated.
Fair enough, but it is just waiting to be re-used, by the club. Still an ideal opportunity for relatively cheap advertising (even if the club has to shell out for the bits that slot in) that is going begging.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:36 am I don't yet think it is beyond Liam to turn this round, but the current mess is very hard to take on the back of the inexplicable negligence that caused the shambolic end to last season. I don't know what's happened to us since January, but I'd like it to stop happening now.
I think your first sentence before the comma is a caveat so if he does retrieve the situation, you can point back and say you thought it could happen. I think you know the realism of it though.

The rest of your paragraph is the bit I can’t get away from. It’s been a mess for a long time. History shows over the last few years that we will probably have a nice run of form but it’ll all come crashing down again. Consistency has been a massive issue and it certainly isn’t getting better. For me, he’s got to go now. The alarming slump in the last 25 games or so has relegation written all over it. I agree with others that these players are probably too good to go down but they’re playing a dinosaur style of football and doesn’t suit them whatsoever. Give them a chance and get a f*cking experienced player in that midfield to help them out. They’re being flogged to death at the moment due to fitness and injury…the immediate situation won’t alleviate until the squad is bolstered.

What boggles me is that it’s so obvious as well. Why can’t this management see it?
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Mr Ah Yes wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:30 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:40 am
Fair enough, but it is just waiting to be re-used, by the club. Still an ideal opportunity for relatively cheap advertising (even if the club has to shell out for the bits that slot in) that is going begging.
Presumably those bits still exist as do the people who were running the trust so you wouldn't have thought it was beyond logistical possibilities to update the signs even if they've all taken a vow of silence on trust matters.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

3 wins in 25,are we really discussing a f@ ckig sign on the by pass,.........the club can stick its micky mouse cups up it's backside, for the first time in my life I would sooner watch corrie
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:06 pm
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:36 am I don't yet think it is beyond Liam to turn this round, but the current mess is very hard to take on the back of the inexplicable negligence that caused the shambolic end to last season. I don't know what's happened to us since January, but I'd like it to stop happening now.
I think your first sentence before the comma is a caveat so if he does retrieve the situation, you can point back and say you thought it could happen. I think you know the realism of it though.

The rest of your paragraph is the bit I can’t get away from. It’s been a mess for a long time. History shows over the last few years that we will probably have a nice run of form but it’ll all come crashing down again. Consistency has been a massive issue and it certainly isn’t getting better. For me, he’s got to go now. The alarming slump in the last 25 games or so has relegation written all over it. I agree with others that these players are probably too good to go down but they’re playing a dinosaur style of football and doesn’t suit them whatsoever. Give them a chance and get a f*cking experienced player in that midfield to help them out. They’re being flogged to death at the moment due to fitness and injury…the immediate situation won’t alleviate until the squad is bolstered.

What boggles me is that it’s so obvious as well. Why can’t this management see it?
I'm disappointed that you've seen through that transparent attempt to hedge my bets.

We will probably pick up a bit - next three league games are all very winnable and we looked a bit better at Chester, whilst still in desperate need of another forward. It does at least sound like that will happen now, if six weeks too late. It makes you wonder about the financial state of the club tbh, but can it really be that bad?

It's the inexplicable "doing the hard bit and then chucking it all away by refusing to sign anyone who isn't a blood relative/ex-player/from Maghull" thing that does my head in. Shades of 2012, although we were competing against Luton and York for playoff spots then and not shite like Alfreton.

We have had ten years of more or less constant wank since then, and it felt like the tide was finally turning last season until we decided to sack it off by not replacing Carver or dealing with any injuries. We all keep saying the same things, but you can't keep doing that to people because eventually they won't come back.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

george wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:41 pm 3 wins in 25,are we really discussing a f@ ckig sign on the by pass,.........the club can stick its micky mouse cups up it's backside, for the first time in my life I would sooner watch corrie
Sorry I thought a discussion forum about SFC was to discuss anything about SFC.

In future I shall stick to your shining example and limit myself to semi literate foul rants instead.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Portoldie wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:21 pm We should try and switch the BPA game to the Saturday after. They are also out of the cup.
2 home games in 3 days doesn’t seem very appealing at the moment.
Brackley are out and we've got them at home on a Tuesday in November, wonder if they might try and shift that.