Carl Soloman

Darlington 3-2 Southport - FA Cup - Match Thread

Post by cavjj »

tonyhey
----------
----------

Re: Darlington 0-1 Southport - FA Cup - Match Thread

Post by tonyhey »

Red card in our last three meetings with Darlington.
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Re: Darlington 3-2 Southport - FA Cup - Match Thread

Post by PortDan1121 »

I’ve been very supportive of getting behind the team. And I will always support the players on the pitch. But this isn’t good enough anymore and our current run is driving people away. Liam has done a fantastic job but it’s time to let Terry take over as head coach and for Liam to sit on the board or be involved with the recruitment. We’ve been unlucky with injuries and the cup draw hasn’t helped but. For a size of the club Southport is an with 4 going down this season, I am a bit worried. The club has never been lower than this league. The players we have are mostly good just aren’t playing the right football for me.

Don’t shoot me that’s just my opinion on it all. I will still go and support the team and players every week if I can.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Season over. Just another dreary fight against relegation where ending fifth from bottom in the sixth tier will be counted as a triumph.
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

Not sure you can have a pop at Liam or the players on this one. Listening on commentary it appeared to me they put 100% in - what can you do when you’ve got 10 men for 85 mins, and they equalise when we have nine on the pitch?
Clearly the lads worked their arses off today. Just one of those days (unlike Alfreton etc)
port4ever
----------
----------

Post by port4ever »

This is the sixth season that Southport have been languishing in the National league north, dumped out of the FA cup at the first hurdle. Worst it's been since our northern premier league days in the 80's, early 90's. How much worse can it get?
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

I get that the performance may not have been bad but we’re now celebrating players giving 100% surely that’s a given when you sign for Southport we have to go to aim a little higher! Surely something has to be done about the manager now?
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

Not celebrating it - it's a prerequisite.
But surely this is a game where we have to look at the circumstances of the match and not just go nuts in response. For once.
Annonymous_fan
----------
----------

Post by Annonymous_fan »

siddle wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:09 pm Not celebrating it - it's a prerequisite.
But surely this is a game where we have to look at the circumstances of the match and not just go nuts in response. For once.
I get that but even if we took it to a replay would that deem Liam has done enough to not be sacked?
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

Yes.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

port4ever wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:04 pm This is the sixth season that Southport have been languishing in the National league north, dumped out of the FA cup at the first hurdle. Worst it's been since our northern premier league days in the 80's, early 90's. How much worse can it get?
I remember a crowd of about 75 in those days.
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

siddle wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:04 pm Not sure you can have a pop at Liam or the players on this one. Listening on commentary it appeared to me they put 100% in - what can you do when you’ve got 10 men for 85 mins, and they equalise when we have nine on the pitch?
Clearly the lads worked their arses off today. Just one of those days (unlike Alfreton etc)
It’s 3 wins in 23. The lads worked their arses off on Tuesday and I bet they did today also. There is no denying the team effort and the players are quality. But they just aren’t clicking. And it’s September and I’m already worried like.
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

I am sorry but surely Liam Watson has run out of excuses and this situation cannot be allowed to continue.

The players have to listen to someone else in the dressing room.

We have to change the mentality of our club because currently it is dying on its feet!!
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

siddle wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:09 pm Not celebrating it - it's a prerequisite.
How often would any side get themselves down to 10 men after 7 minutes? Unforgivable?
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

siddle wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:12 pmYes.
Are you actually serious?? The dross that has been served up for years and you think he should remain in place after another defeat albeit the players giving 100%. Deary deary me that’s the least they should be doing. They should be giving 100% every match. FA Cup over, League over. But guess what Watson will remain in charge.

Southport fans deserve better. Liam has been great in the past and deserves to remain with the club in some shape or form but not as coach. Plenty of young potential managers who would jump at the chance.

SFC do the right thing for once in your life
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

siddle wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:04 pm Not sure you can have a pop at Liam or the players on this one. Listening on commentary it appeared to me they put 100% in - what can you do when you’ve got 10 men for 85 mins, and they equalise when we have nine on the pitch?
The fact you can name a match when they didn’t work hard and it’s one of 6 defeats from 9 matches played this season says it all. Losing two thirds of your matches isn’t a blip, it’s not an anomaly, it’s not bad luck. I’m presuming they worked hard in the other 5 defeats. Effort doesn’t equal effective football. You need more than that to get results and the plain fact is what we’re doing doesn’t work. Someone has to answer to that, explain why and come up with a plan to turn it around.
tomherold
----------
----------

Post by tomherold »

Can’t wait for the lads to lift the ‘we tried hard’ trophy at the end of the season. Respect.
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

Fans pay bloody good money and the least they deserve is to watch players give 100% commitment.
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

SteH90 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:19 pm Someone has to answer to that, explain why and come up with a plan to turn it around.
I agree with that. My personal view is that Liam is the right man for the job. For a myriad of reasons. But yes, there needs to be more of a plan.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Winning is a habit, we saw that last season. Unfortunately losing is a habit also. Teams on a role find ways to win, teams not, well they find ways to lose.