Earlier KOs

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Earlier KOs

Post by Gloucester man »

What would supporters think of kicking off at 12/13:00 on Saturdays in the winter to help the club on electricity saving money.
It happened in the 1970s during miners disputes so what do people think?
exile
----------
----------

Re: Earlier KOs

Post by exile »

Makes sense to me...
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

Gloucester man wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:28 pm What would supporters think of kicking off at 12/13:00 on Saturdays in the winter to help the club on electricity saving money.
It happened in the 1970s during miners disputes so what do people think?
Hmmm not too sure. Makes away travel a bit harder. Leaving for Kings Lynn town at 7am just to make it there for a 12-noon kick-off. With no chance to get a pint etc before or even to stop on the way.

Early kick-offs ruin the atmosphere and reduce matchday income with the lack of people drinking. Don't think its a great idea.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Rather not, the earlier the kick off the more of an arseache it is for exiles. Particularly away.

Also the support announced today for businesses which is expected to discount bills by 50% includes football clubs, I assume? (I don't know)
PortInTheSouth
----------
----------

Post by PortInTheSouth »

3pm is classic, so I'd like to keep it how it is personally. Don't think telling the British people to start drinking on their away trip any earlier would be a good idea either :D
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

It's a no from me, if we can avoid it. Less away visitors, harder when we go away ourselves. No 3pm blackout protection.
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

PortInTheSouth wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:19 pm 3pm is classic, so I'd like to keep it how it is personally. Don't think telling the British people to start drinking on their away trip any earlier would be a good idea either :D
We had to in the 1970s mind you we were so much more practical then. I can't drink when I drive to games so drinking doesn't affect me.
PORT FOREVER
----------
----------

Post by PORT FOREVER »

cavjj wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:04 pm It's a no from me, if we can avoid it. Less away visitors, harder when we go away ourselves. No 3pm blackout protection.
Might as well just get rid of that anyway.

Majority of people have streams these days and watch 3pm kick offs on them. Even pubs show them!
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

PORT FOREVER wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:55 am
cavjj wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:04 pm It's a no from me, if we can avoid it. Less away visitors, harder when we go away ourselves. No 3pm blackout protection.

Majority of people have streams these days and watch 3pm kick offs on them. Even pubs show them!
True, but I still think this is better than opening the floodgates. Streams are often virus-ridden and closed mid stream. Dodgy boxes often stop working after 18 months. It isn't usually a particularly seamless process to illegally stream a game (can be, but not regularly).

I think if you compared our crowds from Saturdays to Tuesdays when we compete against televised football, particularly UCL, you'd see a noticeable trend. That's just a theory, it's not research I've been able to conduct fully.
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

PORT FOREVER wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:55 am

I mean yeah correct if you wanted to watch the 3pm kick off for your team its not hard to find a stream and do it. There is hundreds of sites, its not hard. I used to do it for a bit as I'm sure we probs all have at some point but then I discovered nonleague.

But the 3pm blackout is very important as it is incredibly important in this country that Sky and BT do not get their hands on the rights to broadcast these games. If they do get the broadcasting rights, you might as well forget about any most of the teams in the NLN/NLS and teams in lower leagues than us.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

No need for ridiculously early kickoffs. 2.15 would enable games to be played in natural light. I’d be in favour.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

I’d be in favour of an earlier start.

3pm is a pain in the arse anyway. Often sit around all morning waiting for football, then get home around 6pm, make tea, and that’s Saturday wasted.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Mansfield have announced doing earlier kick off to save cost of lights and others to follow.

I think 2pm makes most sense. Its an easy saving.

Why feed putins pockets and war by using more power than we have to...ultimately even if our power doesn't come from Russia any we have can be used elsewhere to stop them needing to buy Russian power.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Ste_B wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:47 pm I’d be in favour of an earlier start.

3pm is a pain in the arse anyway. Often sit around all morning waiting for football, then get home around 6pm, make tea, and that’s Saturday wasted.
It's almost as if the football is an unenjoyable inconvenience rather than the main event of the day...

...as it often proves to be the case. :D

Don't really see people's complaint about having less pre match drinking when you can drink right through the match.

IF it will save thousands in costs after possible reductions in income then it's a no brainer. Though if its a saving of hundreds rather than thousands then it's probably not worth inconveniencing loyal supporters who might not be able to get to earlier kick offs.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

It could even be slightly phased maybe 2:30 in November and February, 2pm in December and January.
portchat
You will
You will

Post by portchat »

The Football Supporters Association are doing a survey on the impact of the cost of living crisis on non-league supporters. There’s a section on potential changes to kick off times etc and would be really good for portchatters to fill it in and share their views.

You can complete the survey here

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/survey-the-i ... on-league/
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

Didcot Town , Nuneaton Borough, Cirencester Town and Dorchester of the Southern league have asked for permission for 1pm Kos
Last edited by Gloucester man on Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

I get everyone's point about early kick-offs and stuff.

But for NLN it doesn't work sadly.

Blyth traveling 280 + miles to get to Hereford in a regionalised league tomorrow. Its 5 hour + journey time. Imagine that being a 1pm kick-off with you leaving at 7am and barely any time to factor in traffic delays or even stop for a piss.

I still cant believe anything south of Birmingham is considered "North"

Imagine walking up to someone in the street and asking were Gloucester is. "Aye yeah its in the North" lol
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

PortDan1121 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:01 pm I get everyone's point about early kick-offs and stuff.

But for NLN it doesn't work sadly.

Blyth traveling 280 + miles to get to Hereford in a regionalised league tomorrow. Its 5 hour + journey time. Imagine that being a 1pm kick-off with you leaving at 7am and barely any time to factor in traffic delays or even stop for a piss.

I still cant believe anything south of Birmingham is considered "North"

Imagine walking up to someone in the street and asking were Gloucester is. "Aye yeah its in the North" lol
I suspect if you’re mental enough to travel to Hereford to watch Blyth Spartans then a 6am start isn’t going to put you off. On the plus side you might be home for tea.

Jokes aside, a five hour trip isn’t the norm in this league and for most you’ll get up at a normal time and arrive in time for a lovely sit down meal somewhere exotic like Alfreton or Bradford.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Worth noting on the television blackout point that every Saturday there seems to be an early kick off at 12:30 or thereabouts. Usually involves a big team.

If you make KOs 2pm it will clash with the end, rather than letting fans watch the early kick off and then go to a match.